Post Thanks / Like

Do you wash used wash mitts another other dirty MFs?

I always have included wash mitts in my regular paint-dirty load. But thinking about switching up. I’ve been traditional washing a lot and I’m getting sick of trying to get the suds out of the mitts prior to washing (I do this more to prevent towels from getting old soap in them during the wash). If I’m doing just mitts in the wash I really don’t care if there’s some left over soap residue in them... they’ll be going right back into soap soon enough.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you wash used wash mitts another other dirty MFs?

I wash mine together with other (paint) dirty microfibers, mainly because I can`t justify a wash cycle for just the mitts. I pre-rinse mine with the hose to get as much of the old soap and any dirt out. I forgot to do that once and, when I looked thru the glass door on the washer, was unpleasantly surprised at the amount of suds in there. I rinsed them twice more to get the old soap out.
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wash with dirty paint towels or sometimes hand wash if they aren`t that dirty. I`d try to rinse and wrong out before washing.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It all gets washed together here. Engine bay, and undercarriage stuff doesn`t get washed with the good cloths/Mitts.
    Making someone else happy, is one of the best feelings.

Post Thanks / Like

The little mitts I use for wheels/undercarriage work get cleaned by hand after every wash, along with all the other wash media for those areas. They`re never all *that* dirty since I do most of it with other wash media first, but they do always require cleaning.

Other than those, I never touch paint with a mitt until the surface has already been cleaned using other, far more gentle, methods, so maybe I`m an outlier here. But anyhow...

On the extremely rare occasions that a sheepskin wash mitt gets dirty, I wash the ones from *both* wash buckets (whether the other needs it or not) separately from other stuff, in woolite and hot water.

My MF mitts, which seldom touch paint anybody else would consider "dirty", get washed after every use, but they`re mainly for when I make a whole separate "kinda RW wash" out of using my Drying Aids and I want to get that stuff out of `em.

Drying Towels get washed after every use, even if they appear spotless.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the current responses!!

I do have rinse right after washes t get the car soap out pretty good. I will likely do this and continue to wash with MF towels since it seems like they should be hand rinsed regardless what they are washed with.

My main issue was coming up more so when I was using “poor” car wash shampoo that tended to never get rinsed out completely. I’m trying to use that up ASAP so I can use Hyperwash and Essence which seem to rinse away well.

Post Thanks / Like

I wash all together. Don’t even rinse out just ring out. Two rinse cycles and warm to hot water and no issues.

Note: my mitts have only seen Optimum car wash, CP Reset and Mckee’s coating prep soap which all rinse out well.

Over a year and no affect on paint towels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- If the (supposed) issue is carwash shampoo rinsing out/not, I`d wonder whether it really matters. It`s something I`ve never given any thought to.

Just thinking out loud, but what`s the potential downside? Maybe a slight increase in the potency of the next batch from being bolstered by what comes out of the mitt, but other than that as long as it`s not contaminated with dirt/etc. I don`t see any reason to worry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    acuRAS82- If the (supposed) issue is carwash shampoo rinsing out/not, I`d wonder whether it really matters. It`s something I`ve never given any thought to.

Just thinking out loud, but what`s the potential downside? Maybe a slight increase in the potency of the next batch from being bolstered by what comes out of the mitt, but other than that as long as it`s not contaminated with dirt/etc. I don`t see any reason to worry.
    Definitely not a big deal. I was just thinking, if I don’t rinse out this specific shampoo, it may be causing my MF towels to not come out as soft as could be. Would it be so laced with soap residue that it causes marring if I use the towel from waterless wash, spray wax or buffing? Probably not. I figured I would just ask the question since advice is a quick question away in this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Definitely not a big deal. I was just thinking, if I don’t rinse out this specific shampoo, it may be causing my MF towels to not come out as soft as could be. Would it be so laced with soap residue that it causes marring if I use the towel from waterless wash, spray wax or buffing? Probably not. I figured I would just ask the question since advice is a quick question away in this forum.
    Ah, OK...for some reason I thought you were talking about "regular washmitts used with regular shampoo". Yeah, if using a RW/etc. I`d launder them every time too. Thanks for clarifying

Thread Information