Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations - New Fabric Convertible Top

Well....my above Raggtopp vs 303 Fabric Guard experiment has become a 50% Failure. I waited 48 hrs and performed a water test. Not sure if the Raggtopp Can I bought last fall (and stored inside the house )was bad or what but this is the Day 2 side by side result:

I have used Raggtopp twice before with great results,including last fall. There was waxy overspray on the aluminum trip, so there was something In the can. I also made sure all the 303 cleaner was rinsed off like prior applications.

Still have about half of the can left and maybe concentrate it over one small area after it drys. If all else fails. I guess I can compare 303 vs GTechniq ahead of schedule.

Hey Liz how about I trade ya a half can of Raggtopp for some I1??? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Liz@Autopia liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Macmasdad View Post
    Hey Liz how about I trade ya a half can of Raggtopp for some I1??? Lol
    No Miata any more, so no need for convertible products sadly, but give me a call and I`ll see what I can do on that I1.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Liz!!!! Hopefully my Round 2 comparison will work out better.
    Likes Liz@Autopia liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 303 Fabric on my outdoor fabric chairs and cushions and I get two seasons of protection out of it before I need to reapply. I just shake the cushions and the water flies off.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Liz quickly shipping some GTechniq. First W2 cleaner to clean off any remnants of Raggtopp. I was then able to begin my Round 2 comparison: 303 Fabric Care vs GTechniq Smart Fabric

This above picture was taken 3 days after applying the GTechniq. Big difference in looks. Side with GTechniq looks like it has a protectant on it. 303 side has a deep dark consistent look. Looks goes to 303.

I then turn the hose on shower for a few seconds and took this picture

Gave slight nod to Gtechniq but 303 repelled quite well too. I then continued to shower the top for about 10 minutes and took next picture

303 eventually concedes to the down pour where as GTechniq was untouched. I then dried off both sides with my microfiber towel waited a few minutes and again sprinkled the top to see if 303 would again repel

Both sides again repelled the water like before. I then let it down pour for another 10 minutes for final picture

For have a garage queen that sees little to moderate rain I would prefer 303 due to it’s nice dark even look to the top when dry. If water protection is your main consideration GTechniq looks like a clear winner. Will be interesting to see how long each lasts.

Even though I layered 303 three times I may hit it again to see if I can improve the length of repellency

Likes The Guz, Liz@Autopia, Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Way longer life than 303. Gtechniq Fabric is legit stuff

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is thread is about NEW convertible tops, but I sometimes deal with Landau tops on older Buicks, Lincolns, and Cadillacs as well. Most of these are fabric material, similar to convertible tops. Is there a good way to clean these ,short of a good APC and a power washer or steamer ? I do not have a power washer or steamer and need to clean these fabrics by hand with a good, stiff horse-hair or plastic bristle brush. Most of the fabric contamination is from a lack of deep cleaning, so I contend with embedded road film, tree sap (pine pitch is the worst and sugar maple is not far behind), mold and mildew if it sits outside under trees or stored in unheated garages, or just plain fabric disintegration from sun bleaching. I did see some here mention using laundry detergent for cleaning. Not sure if you can use Oxy-Clean on such fabric; never tried it!

Just wondering what products you use and your methodology to cleaning roof fabric material is.

By the way, thanks for posting pics, tips and hints to using 303 Fabric Protector and Gtechniq I1 Fabric.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I know this is thread is about NEW convertible tops, but I sometimes deal with Landau tops on older Buicks, Lincolns, and Cadillacs as well. Most of these are fabric material, similar to convertible tops. Is there a good way to clean these ,short of a good APC and a power washer or steamer ? I do not have a power washer or steamer and need to clean these fabrics by hand with a good, stiff horse-hair or plastic bristle brush. Most of the fabric contamination is from a lack of deep cleaning, so I contend with embedded road film, tree sap (pine pitch is the worst and sugar maple is not far behind), mold and mildew if it sits outside under trees or stored in unheated garages, or just plain fabric disintegration from sun bleaching. I did see some here mention using laundry detergent for cleaning. Not sure if you can use Oxy-Clean on such fabric; never tried it!

Just wondering what products you use and your methodology to cleaning roof fabric material is.

By the way, thanks for posting pics, tips and hints to using 303 Fabric Protector and Gtechniq I1 Fabric.
    The raggtop brush is great and not overly aggressive

As for cleaners Griots and Meguiars make a comvertible top cleaner i’ve used both.... if one is slightly better i’d pick gGriots.

If you have tough or embedded contaminates i would invest in a steamer, even a cheap hand held to loosen it up.

Ragg top and 303 make cleaners that are also popular

Likes Lonnie liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information