Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tires Browning After Using Tire Dressing

Against my better judgement I used Stoner More Shine on a brand new set of tires last summer and now the tires are exhibiting that ugly brownish patina after I tried brushing it with a stiff brush with soap and water. I also tried using a 1 to 4 solution of Super Clean degreaser as well will minimal success. Is there a good way to get the rubber back to original color like using isopropanol alcohol or silicone ?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tires Browning After Using Tire Dressing

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer View Post
    Against my better judgement I used Stoner More Shine on a brand new set of tires last summer and now the tires are exhibiting that ugly brownish patina after I tried brushing it with a stiff brush with soap and water. I also tried using a 1 to 4 solution of Super Clean degreaser as well will minimal success. Is there a good way to get the rubber back to original color like using isopropanol alcohol or silicone ?
    EdLancer --
    I have had the best results using this made for rubber tires cleaner -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.XsRbjkSpH3g
    It may take multiple cleanings per tire, so be prepared for that.. I read that it is also not good for bare aluminum wheels, so think about that also, if you have them..
    The Tuf-Shine Tire and wheel brush is the only brush I use on tires and it has also been the best..
    Their ClearCoat product for tires, is another winner for all my vehicles tires, and I absolutely enjoy not having to deal with them a lot because they stay so clean, and not greasy, oily, at all..
    Yes, there may be other products that work this good, but these work the best for me in my shop..
    DanF
    Likes EdLancer, re-tired liked this post
    Thanks re-tired thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using Stoners for 5 years and never had a problem with brown tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    EdLancer --
    I have had the best results using this made for rubber tires cleaner -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.XsRbjkSpH3g
    It may take multiple cleanings per tire, so be prepared for that.. I read that it is also not good for bare aluminum wheels, so think about that also, if you have them..
    The Tuf-Shine Tire and wheel brush is the only brush I use on tires and it has also been the best..
    Their ClearCoat product for tires, is another winner for all my vehicles tires, and I absolutely enjoy not having to deal with them a lot because they stay so clean, and not greasy, oily, at all..
    Yes, there may be other products that work this good, but these work the best for me in my shop..
    DanF
    I found a way to get rid of most the brown blooming, but it is very time consuming and multiple attempts are required. I used a toothbrush with some concentrate dishwashing detergent like Palmolive and an old microfiber towel in a bucket. Start brushing with the toothbrush inch by inch all over the tire and then wipe with a semi wet microfiber towel and I was able to see it picked up some of the browning, do this like 3-4 times until the water in bucket is clear from rinsing the microfiber towel for each tire. Rinse the soap off with clean water after the blooming is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet using a cordless polisher with a brush attachment and scrubbing the tire with it would help. It’s how Mike Phillips cleans tires all the time.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes EdLancer, John U, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I bet using a cordless polisher with a brush attachment and scrubbing the tire with it would help. It’s how Mike Phillips cleans tires all the time.
    I`m sure it would I don`t like the ideal of using electrical power tools with a wet soapy brush, but that`s just me ...LoL

Post Thanks / Like

Mike uses a cordless tool so he never gets shocked again. I would be OK using one if I had one
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    EdLancer --
    DanF

Second the Tuff Shine Twins.
    Likes Stokdgs, atbalfour liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Tuf Shine tire cleaner for every vehicle I detail. Works better than any APC or degreaser I`ve tried, especially for the browning. It sometimes can take 3-4 rounds of cleaning but it will get it off. The only thing I`ve noticed over the years is it does struggle with silicone/greasy tire dressings. If you`re looking to get those off you`ll need to turn to griots rubber prep or solvents. I personally will reach for mineral spirits if needed but this is not often.

I`m unfamiliar with the stoner tire dressing however if its the type of oily/greasy dressing that never really dries to the touch, that`s where your problem is coming from. The dressings never dry out and are sticky/tacky, which collects and holds dirt/debris. Some of the nastiest tires I`ve had to clean were dressed regularly with greasy dressings. Sure the dark black shine lasts, but upon closer inspection they look like garbage after a few days of collecting dirt
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Stokdgs, atbalfour liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer View Post
    I`m sure it would I don`t like the ideal of using electrical power tools with a wet soapy brush, but that`s just me ...LoL
    Ed Lancer! GFI outlets are good for this, of course cordless is even better. That Tuf Shine cleaner will do the trick, you could also try Optimum Power Clean at full strength if you have any of that. And as Stokdgs noted, coatings are great.
    Likes Stokdgs, dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Ed Lancer! GFI outlets are good for this, of course cordless is even better. That Tuf Shine cleaner will do the trick, you could also try Optimum Power Clean at full strength if you have any of that. And as Stokdgs noted, coatings are great.
    X2 on the OPC at full strength

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my tires brown and some don`t, and I`ve never found a connection between that characteristic and the Tire Slime I use; just seems to be the *tires*.

I`m probably in the minority here, but I don`t use Degreasers on tires out of concern that they might not be good for the rubber. Although I do plan to eventually check out TuffShine (if I ever use up my current stuff...and that`s a big "if"), when I need aggressive tire cleaning I use Griot`s Rubber Prep, which I consider a Miracle Product for both rubber and plastics.

Post Thanks / Like

When I had my Camaro I had decided to use a tire gel of some sort(can`t remember which one) and it turned the tires brown after a while. I used Purple Power full strength and it seemed to do a good job cleaning the stuff off. I had used Purple Power regularly after that to clean the tires and never put anything on the tires and they would have a nice clean mat black look. If you want that nice black look I did use BlackFire tire gel a few times and don`t recall having any problems after that. For the most part on that car I just never used anything on them because it seemed like whatever I tried before BF tire gel I got a lot of sling from the products but only one of them browned the tires. Even though I did try and still have the BF gel I was turned off by the past products I used I have never used up the BF. I know I tried Turtle Wax and Black Magic and a few other that can be had at retail stores and none of them were any good.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

A very good cleaner is Megs all season dressing it has a solvent based cleaner in it and leaves silicone on the tire but the silicone is Matte it’s not high gloss and not in high quantities. The cleaning solvent is so strong it will ruin a clay mitt if it contacts black part. If your a detailer and want to save time from scrubbing round after round with cleaner or having to use specialty cleaners, hit tires with cheap degreaser knock dirt off Then apply the Megs all season dressing after with old towels and the towels are complete black after applying it lift the blooming right off and leaves tires with satin finish. It has a very long durability vs the stoners and I think that’s because of the cleaners in it. It also smells like clean linen scent. I start my details with tires after wheels are cleaned I do that to tires. 15-20 wheels and tire cleaned and dressed

Post Thanks / Like

Browning---manufacturer, age of tire, UV exposure, use of high caustic water based cleaners, etc.
    Some tires are more prone to it due to the manufacturering process and the grade of carbon black or UV anti-oxidizing wax amount or grade, then there is the "age", which is why the production date is molded into the sidewall.
    Many possibilities of which many are not aware of or consider,

"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information