Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tires Browning After Using Tire Dressing

Stoners Tarminator cleans a tire better than anything else I’ve ever used. Probably too harsh to use every wash, but for the very occasional “deep clean” I doubt it’s too awful.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Or save money and just use mineral spirits instead, same results, then wash with your car wash solution.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Or save money and just use mineral spirits instead, same results, then wash with your car wash solution.
    No potential downsides to using MS on tires?

Post Thanks / Like

Not unless you use it every time you wash. Over use will in time remove excessive UV anti-oxidizing wax from the sidewall.

Post Thanks / Like

Browning---manufacturer, age of tire, UV exposure, use of high caustic water based cleaners, etc.
    Some tires are more prone to it due to the manufacturering process and the grade of carbon black or UV anti-oxidizing wax amount or grade, then there is the "age", which is why the production date is molded into the sidewall.
    Many possibilities of which many are not aware of or consider,

Spot on some tires just brown more than others. I had this one set of tire I was doing it was a no name brand and they were like a sponge anything I put on them it just absorbed right into the tire they were so mid way through tread and who know how long that were sitting on the vehicle

Post Thanks / Like

Not unless you use it every time you wash. Over use will in time remove excessive UV anti-oxidizing wax from the sidewall.

That`s the kind of thing I was worried about...think I`ll just stick with my almost-too-gentle Rubber Cleaners. Not keen on messing up my tires over how they look. If I were certain it were really just "excessive" anti-ox wax that`d be one thing, but since I`ve never had tire issues I think I`ll err on the side of caution.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone that buys new Continental tyres(tires) needs to go the MS route - their mould release is as tenacious as it gets!

Post Thanks / Like

Dunlops are known to do the same. Look at the sidewall for country of productions, many times the problem browning tires are produced in Europe.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is what will take that brown crap off-- this is the ONLY thing that I ever saw that worked
    Castrol super clean IN THE FOAM CAN--- it HAS TO BE THE FOAM CAN
    The regular super clean wont do the job- but
    THE FOAM CAN product will
    Dont ask me why- I have used the gallon liquid and it doesnt work
    But the stuff in the FOAM CAN-- I repeat FOAM CAN will take all of that brown crap off the tires- it can be found @ Auto Zone for about $8

I am gonna try that Tuf Shine spay when I get a chance though-- looks like it does work from the photos posted earlier in the thread

Post Thanks / Like

Bleche white works really good for browning. Simple answer.
    Likes Skiwhmts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bodidly22 View Post
    Anyone that buys new Continental tyres(tires) needs to go the MS route - their mould release is as tenacious as it gets!
    I can say the same thing about the current LTX series of truck/SUV tires from Michelin...those can drive me nuts on the Tahoe but I`m leery of being to aggressive as I want `em to last a very long time.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be in the market for new tires this Fall. I sure hope Pirellis will be okay!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I will be in the market for new tires this Fall. I sure hope Pirellis will be okay!
    Bill D -- Hope you and yours are all safe and well up there on the First Coast !

i purchased a new set of Pirelli P Zero`s for my Acura TL Type-S, and they are absolutely great ! Lovely sidewalls, no hint of browning, cleaned them up the first time with the Tuf-Shine Cleaner and applied their Clear Coat - turned out beautiful and have stayed that way for a few years now..

Looked at Michelin (my usual brand of choice) at the same time, had them put the Michelin next to the Pirelli, same size, and the Michelin was way heavier and seemed to be a little bigger than the Pirelli next to it..

Decided on the Pirelli and have never looked back..
    Good luck with your tire search..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Dan—That’s really great to hear! I have had Pirellis on my Audi since new and they’ve always done me right. Michelins were my first pick but for similar reason as you, I’m almost certain I’m not going to go with them. I have the TufShine cleaner and am looking forward to cleaning the new tires with it. It’s going to be a little bit of a task scraping away the old wheel weight glue off the wheels though.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    i purchased a new set of Pirelli P Zero`s ..[with].. Lovely sidewalls..
    Heh heh, the only thing that`d get me to think that would be if they had basically zero [stuff] molded in except what`s absolutely necessary. I for one think the whole "stylized sidewall" thing is beyond silly and I don`t want *anything* extraneous there.

Glad to hear they`re working out so well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    ..I have had Pirellis on my Audi since new and they’ve always done me right. Michelins were my first pick..
    Interesting, if only because I haven`t run Pirellis on a Quattro since, gee...maybe the late `80s!

No idea what I`ll put on the A8/S8 next time...the Michelin Pilot A/S has been changed to be more "winter tire" and isn`t as good in warmer weather or when driven really hard.

My usual criteria "best for an autoX in the rain on a 45° day" always brought up those Michelins as the top choice and the TireRack guys always agreed.

(I use that criteria because emergency handling in the wet, regardless of temp and/or whether the tires are warmed up, is always my #1 concern.."no second chances" and all that.)

Anyhow...

..It’s going to be a little bit of a task scraping away the old wheel weight glue off the wheels though..

No 3M Adhesive Remover? It always takes my weight-adhesive residue off easy-peasy, like...nothing to even think about. Always a piece of cake compared to the waxy [crap] you have to clean off the sidewalls.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information