Post Thanks / Like

Advice on how to tackle my detailing project

I`m getting ready to hopefully soon do a complete exterior detail on our family Ford Fusion. The problem is I don`t have the time right now to tackle the complete project all at one time so I want to break it down into stages.

I`m thinking hood roof and top of back clip on day
    Drivers side one day
    Passenger side one day
    Rear and front clip one day

Question is should I take the time on my initial wash to do the full chemical and mechanical decontamination on the entire care and just put a coat of wax on the areas I`m not going to correct for some paint protection?

I`m going to be applying a ceramic coating on the car, so I am assuming I can just apply that to the areas I finishing correcting without any issue?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on how to tackle my detailing project

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    I`m getting ready to hopefully soon do a complete exterior detail on our family Ford Fusion. The problem is I don`t have the time right now to tackle the complete project all at one time so I want to break it down into stages.

I`m thinking hood roof and top of back clip on day
    Drivers side one day
    Passenger side one day
    Rear and front clip one day

Question is should I take the time on my initial wash to do the full chemical and mechanical decontamination on the entire care and just put a coat of wax on the areas I`m not going to correct for some paint protection?

I`m going to be applying a ceramic coating on the car, so I am assuming I can just apply that to the areas I finishing correcting without any issue?
    Do the whole wash/iron-x/tar (whatever is applicable) decon in one shot before starting your first region of correction. Also clay the area of correction.

I assume your next correction areas will be all done within a few weeks. Brief wash or even waterless wash that area, then clay, then correct, then coat. So the only new activity per section would be the clay, which should take only 15 additional minutes if the car is in decent shape. Each area will get the clay right before correction.

Post Thanks / Like

I would do as acura stated: wash/decon/clay the whole car.

Then start your correction process. I would not put any wax on the areas that you did not coat...you will just have to remove it prior to the coating install. It will just be easier and less work for you when the time comes to coat. Those `unprotected` panels will be fine for a week or so until you can get to coating them.

Have fun and keep us posted!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I`d probably wipe the not-yet panels down with a QD-strength RW to provide a tiny bit of something, figuring that won`t require actual Polishing to remove.

If *I* were doing a Chemical Decontamination, I`d expect to *NOT* have to also clay. IF it`s *really* contaminated I can see claying during that decon., but it`s pretty rare that I have to do that, like...only on new-to-me vehicles.

Thread Information