Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Took 10 years off - and finally back, where to start?

Stokdgs- We continue to do well here, hope you`re doing OK too.

Thanks for confirming that the Tuff Shine Tire Brush is OK on softer surfaces...one of these days, if I ever use up my current stuff....

madflava- A few more ideas if I may: for wheels, I like the Boar`s Hair Brushes (BH from Wheel Woolies, they`re *infinitely* better than any others I`ve tried. While I do like their regular products- the Wheel Woolies themselves, I still have to use a small mitt/sponge to get things truly clean (especially the back sides of the spokes).

I for one utterly *HATE* the EZ Brushes, but I gather I`m in the minority.

For my S8, I use stuff from The Leather Doctor, but he`s kinda, uhm...challenging...to work/do business with. FWIW, I only use his Cleaners, Rinse Agents (important IMO!), and Protectants. I fully understand if you don`t want to [mess] around with that line, but I honestly believe it`s the best on the market. Not that you won`t do pretty well with equivalent stuff from Leather Masters/Sonus/Ultima, but with those and others on the shelf, I still go with the Leather Doctor on the car I *really* get Autopian with.

Post Thanks / Like

So she arrived already detailed, just dusty from the transit from NM to WA. Took her for a quick 100 mile drive just 2 min off the truck lol and then parked her for my first "bonding" time with a hand wash. A typical overcast Seattle day with a slight drizzle helped slow my nervousness down.

First impressions after 10 years of hand-washing - I felt connected to a car again that i haven`t felt in a long time and it was immensely satisfying. As suggested, after a frother + bucket/grit gaurd+ Griot`s wash + mits + PFM Terry Weave + blower, it came out beautiful. Those Terry Weaves - WTF, all it took was ONE light "dragging" it to dry the entire car!! Then I used the Renny D Bead Maker on dry paint to give let it pop.....tjat stuff is legit!

Anyway, thanks for all the input so far - looking forward to the "next level" with polishes/sealants. Took 10 years off - and finally back, where to start?-r8-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes The Guz, Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

madflava- So glad (but not at all surprised ) that you`re off to a good start.

My first thought was "gee, those wheels look easy to clean".

And yeah...the plush MF Drying Towels are great, and everybody seems happy with the PFM version.

Post Thanks / Like

I only came back after 15 years and again today ! ...LoL
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the same boat, but looking for a lower dollar package. When I left the US it was grout sponges and ONR. Still use ONR, but haven`t had time to really detail. Can anyone recommend a budget setup for a big truck? Is optimum`s coating still the way to go with ONR?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VroooomCrash View Post
    I am in the same boat, but looking for a lower dollar package. When I left the US it was grout sponges and ONR. Still use ONR, but haven`t had time to really detail. Can anyone recommend a budget setup for a big truck? Is optimum`s coating still the way to go with ONR?
    This may help give you a start:

New or Needing some product guidance? Look here:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    This may help give you a start:

New or Needing some product guidance? Look here:
    That is a great list. I have a new Diesel truck so basically looking to remove rail dust and put down a coating. Another note is like the OP I live near Griot`s Garage, but that doesn`t do a whole lot with WA state distancing for me for now. I visited there before and was a little underwhelmed by their "super special DA" (PC with a different plate), their $50+ Ettore bucket, and some of the other stuff.

What I have: a few buckets, kirkland MFs, a PC DA and some random pads in storage somewhere, some green ONR (I think it`s the + shine or +wax or something)

Goal: make it keep clean and look good -- long trips with lots of bugs, road grime, dirt, and brake dust in the future.

What I need:
    1. deal with probably a ton of iron contamination. So I am thinking treat with a chemical and then mechanically separate what`s left.
      1. Chemicals Between the below options not sure which direction I want to head, they all seem about the same
        1. Griot`s has 35 oz for $30
        2. OPT has ferrox for 17oz for $20
        3. Chemical Guys/Adams have 16 oz for ~$15

2. Mechanical
        1. Kind of lost here between options of traditional bar, mitts, discs, erasers, etc.. Lube probably just use the ONR I have. Obviously way more surface area than most others so efficiency matters.

2. Paint correction
      1. It`s white, it could look better, but the dealer managed to not mess it up too bad. Obviously not the best paint in the world to begin with since it`s 2020 and has tons of orange peel that I can live with. I might forgo this initially as my DA might take a month to surface (we are still getting our stuff from storage).

3. Prep -- I`d traditionally use power clean or something like that. Don`t have any on hand.
    4. Coating: Familiar with opti-coat, thinking gloss-coat, but not married to it. Would also like to do a fiberglass trailer front with whatever I pick. Wheels are polished aluminum. Have some chrome and faux-chrome plastic to deal with too.
    5. Was just going to ONR for maintenance, I`ve been doing the "barrel o towels approach" where I put 10+ MFs in the 5 gal bucket with ONR, wipe, and then throw into "waste" bucket where they accumulate before going in the washer.
    6. Drying towels -- looks like the PFM terrys are recommended, but they sure are proud of them on price.

Or plan B: find someone that feels like a glutton for punishment in the area and let them get it up to the seal stage and just focus on washing it. I`ve had mixed results when I`ve paid folks to do detailing for me, from greatly loved the service and would happily visit them again to very "meh" in that it came in over cost and under quality expectations. Good news is I am working from home so someone can keep it for a while. Maybe even consider a PPF for the giant front bumper/grill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information