Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Coating cure times

I applied McKee`s 37 ceramic coating on Monday, May 4th in Houston Texas. I just noticed a scratch I would like to polish out and then touch up with the coating while I`m doing another vehicle tomorrow.

Is it ok to apply painters tape to the surface after 5 days of cure time to mask off the areas around the small spot?

Thanks,

Rick

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating cure times

Painters tape applied 120 hours after the application should not be a problem..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

You can give it a shot. Most coatings don`t blend well to touch ups as that one spot will look a bit different. Worst case you have to polish the entire panel.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You can give it a shot. Most coatings don`t blend well to touch ups as that one spot will look a bit different. Worst case you have to polish the entire panel.
    Thank you both for the replies. It`s in the grill area on the hood of a Viper so worth a shot before redoing entire hood.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

I`d wondered if that`s still the case (products advance all the time..), sounds like it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Be it the older PDMS polymer or the new ceramic sealants, all require air to create the crosslinking/cure.
    While most may be "buffed" with a towel,etc to remove the dried indicators, actually the curing usually continues for 7 days, as air is the needed element--aerobic cure is the term.
    Flush with water and the ability to attain a full cure comes to a stop.
    Much as if I held your head under water, no air--results not good.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

This not allowing full cure before flushing with water, be it a car wash or a rain maybe why some do not get the full lasting protection from some brands of products.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Ketcham- You might`ve seen this Q coming: What`s the "cure" info for FK1000P. It always seems a little different after ~24hours or so, and I try to keep anything other than FK425 off it for that long.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good advice. I learned this lesson the hard way.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Be it the older PDMS polymer or the new ceramic sealants, all require air to create the crosslinking/cure.
    While most may be "buffed" with a towel,etc to remove the dried indicators, actually the curing usually continues for 7 days, as air is the needed element--aerobic cure is the term.
    Flush with water and the ability to attain a full cure comes to a stop.
    Much as if I held your head under water, no air--results not good.
    most of the coating need the water vapor in the air for the magic to happen. The one coating I used kisho 901 was such a difficult application it require extra H20 to cure. For every 10 drops of coating I did 2 drops water. Put them together right on applicator then applied. Also the one Modesta coating needs damp applicator... I’ve heard .... that one is out my league. The kisho coating itself has lasted two years for me on multiple occasions and could keep going but a polish was need. It only costs 12$ straight from Japan shipping is 35$ and u can buy bulk or multiple bottles.

The comments about hard to spot match is good advice doing spots never worked out always had to do the panel

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I may end up having to do the panel but will give it a shot since it`s in a recessed area.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It is polymer based but with little carrier solvent, while it performs well within a few hours,same as any aerobic cure polymer- up to 7 days to complete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`d wondered if that`s still the case (products advance all the time..), sounds like it is.
    It’s not the actual protection product. It’s the polishing that makes it stand out more. More pronounced on a an aged coating.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

C5Longhorn- Oh boy, I sure hope you *can* do just that small area...this is one of my big issues with the current Coatings.

Ron Ketcham & The Guz- Thanks guys, appreciate the info as always

The Guz- That did, however, raise another, or at least a more specific, Q: if the polishing were done just to the extent necessary to get the coating to "work right", would it still show? Eh, I`m probably not being clear Gotta repolish before reapplying the coating or the coating won`t adhere, right? Like...I`m wondering about what C5Longhorn will really have to do over that little area..sheesh, redoing the whole hood?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The Guz- That did, however, raise another, or at least a more specific, Q: if the polishing were done just to the extent necessary to get the coating to "work right", would it still show? Eh, I`m probably not being clear Gotta repolish before reapplying the coating or the coating won`t adhere, right? Like...I`m wondering about what C5Longhorn will really have to do over that little area..sheesh, redoing the whole hood?!?
    From my experience, there is something about polishing out an area and re-applying a coating that makes it look different. You have to be really careful. The area in question may be OK if he only polishes the vertical area and it doesn`t extend beyond that recessed area.

Last year when I got my new car I tried to apply a coating in weather conditions that were really not suitable. It was way too hot. On top of that, I rushed the job because of the heat and I cut corners on setting up the lighting. What I ended up with was a royal mess of high spots and smears. I attempted to fix the worst of it by polishing out the bad spots and re-applying the coating. In bright sunlight it all looked pretty good unless you knew where to look. In cloudy conditions or diffused light, my car looked like a patchwork quilt. The spots I fixed were VERY obvious. In the end, when the weather cooled off I bit the bullet and polished out the entire car again and did the job over.

I`ve polished out very small high spots in less visible places with success. However if it is in the middle of a door, hood, or fender, I`d just do the whole panel over. It doesn`t take long and uses a minimal amount of product.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information