Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rags, what to do

Accum: Microfiber, by design, is made for removal and absorbing by way of the grabbing-and-retaining shape of the fibers. And speaking of cotton to apply tire shine products... I’ve never had that lint problem, but perhaps you use a sticky product. I use water-based products. Anytime I have a white athletic sock that develops a hole, it gets washed and put into my wheel-care bucket. Never had an issue, and they are “free”.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Accum: Microfiber, by design, is made for removal and absorbing by way of the grabbing-and-retaining shape of the fibers. And speaking of cotton to apply tire shine products... I’ve never had that lint problem, but perhaps you use a sticky product. I use water-based products. Anytime I have a white athletic sock that develops a hole, it gets washed and put into my wheel-care bucket. Never had an issue, and they are “free”.
    Nope, none of those apply, and I`ve experimented quite a bit with cotton vs. MF and Plush vs. Zero/low-nap MFs. I`ve just never experienced any of the "this will do that" stuff that people predict, so I put it down as just another inscrutable YMMV! thing that didn`t work that way for me.

I too only use water-based products for my tires, *zero* stickiness/etc., and still the linting is terrible. My athletic socks aren`t cotton and don`t work worth a [darn] for *anything* Detailing-related, or anything else for that matter, sure wish they did have some use once they wear out!

Please note that the above is not in *any way* intended as contentious, just yet another way my experiences differ from some other Autopians. Sure seems to happen a lot, but hey...I`m learning to just shrug it off and be content that the diffs result in posting stuff that oughta cover all the bases.

I`ve always suspected that the *tires* themselves might factor in..those overly-stylized sidewalls with all that [crap] designed to look fancy The various ridges/lettering/etc. can be a huge PIA when doing the dressings, or at least it was before I found my applicator of choice (which of course came from TOL and might be hard to replace ) and I *still* have to use brushes to get it just right before buffing off the excess with an old MF (which I`ve tried using to apply, with mediocre results that were still better than a lot of approaches that work great for others).

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

For applying tire products, I have had the best results with the Tuf-Shine Orange Applicator sponge -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.XpyyxmapH3g
    It is closed cell foam that is not wanting to absorb a lot of product quickly, and is easily controllable applying the product on the tire..

The entire applicator fits the hand nicely and is so easy to rinse out afterwards for re-use next time..
    Now, I only use their Clear Coat product, which of course, is not greasy, oily, etc., and very easily rinses out..

It is not so soft that it wears down quickly, or deforms, etc., it looks the same no matter what you do to it (within reason)...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- You guys who do OK with sponges...any sponges...just kill me. How do you work it into the deeper recesses? I simply *must* use a brush, with the right length bristles, to get it down in there unless I use a [boat] load of product, which I then have to wipe back off before it runs all over the tire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Stokdgs- You guys who do OK with sponges...any sponges...just kill me. How do you work it into the deeper recesses? I simply *must* use a brush, with the right length bristles, to get it down in there unless I use a [boat] load of product, which I then have to wipe back off before it runs all over the tire.
    I use both. Brushes work better but take time. Use a sponge to get a nice coat around and then follow up with a Carrand. Agree with the brush being better for crevices and recesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I use both. Brushes work better but take time...
    Oh man, does it ever!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Accumulator --
    All I do is get the liquid product absorbed in the end of this Tuf-Shine Orange sponge; when I get to places that it obviously can`t reach, I just carefully squeeze the sponge and the liquid runs out into those places.. Yes, this has to be done with a certain amount of care, etc., and it`s not a perfect science ( like anything to with Detailing ever is), and I never have many problems..

I suppose if I really wanted to try something, I might find a smaller plastic bottle fitted with a medium to fine spray head, and spray into those areas that are harder to reach..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Heh heh, I for one will never be spraying any Tire Slime anywhere near the vehicle, let alone directly on the tires. Eh, I suspect that the sidewalls/etc. of my particular tires are the issue here, like...some time you`ll do somebody`s car and the tires will *drive you nuts* in this regard and you`ll think "gee, that`s almost as bad as [Accumulator] makes his sound"

Funny..but out of all the stuff I can think of in Detailing, other than Correction just dressing the tires is my least fave. MUCH worse for me than doing the glass, zero comparison. Funny, huh?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information