Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats the concensous on safest/best drying towel? Old Pakshack guy.

Sooo many options! @daveT435 one item of note is I have never really been a matador style dryer. I like to rub to dry..... I know, i know, i know (i just tee`d a softball up there for someone).
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post

but it is made of Chinese microfiber which is more grabby and not as high of quality as South Korean Microfiber,

Pretty sure Scott’s are from China.... I’m sure if the were made in Korea he’d have listed on his site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mark me down for the PFM. Great towel and sops all the water right up.

In truth all twisted loop towels have fans and haven’t read much bad about many. The dreadnought, the sucker, the twistress, Car Pro’s and Gyeon’s twisted loop.

I don’t think in drying with twisted loop the percentage of polyesters and polyamides matter as most vendors don’t speak on that.... mainly the GSM’s.

Also I don’t think country of origins matter much as the purchaser has the ability to control the quality of manufacturing coming out of their.

I’m talking about quality towels not the cheap ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post

Pretty sure Scott’s are from China.... I’m sure if the were made in Korea he’d have listed on his site........

Also I don’t think country of origins matter much as the purchaser has the ability to control the quality of manufacturing coming out of their.

I’m talking about quality towels not the cheap ones.

Definitely possible. It is also possible that LMF has its yarn imported from South Korea to be made in a Chinese factory. However none of the towel descriptions on LMF indicate any country of manufacturing or country of origin for raw material.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorta-random thoughts follow:

-Loops are likely to snag on *my* vehicles, which won`t be a universal concern
    -IMO loops aren`t as safe as "shag" ended nap with regard to protecting against marring from residual dirt (yeah, I know..Autopians never leave any dirt behind [/sarcasm] )
    -The looped ones (incl. that side of the PFM for Glass) don`t feel as soft to me as the others. Maybe it doesn`t matter, but I see no reason to go that route
    -I don`t/won`t prime my Drying Towels as every time I`ve done that that towel left some amount of moisture behind, even if it flashed off almost immediately, and I don`t want that. Period. (I know others don`t share this view.)
    -I`ve never paid any attention to the % composition of my MFs and FWIW I`ve never had any problems as a result (and I *would* have noticed )
    -The DMC gets *every* bit of water/Drying Aid, as do all of my Plush MF Drying Towels, even the cheapies from WallyWorld that lint more for me than they do for guys like Tom P. Very different from all but one of my WWs, and that WW will undoubtedly, eventually, go bad too since IME they all do eventually

But hey, all the above is just IMO/IME and plenty of people are perfectly satisfied with other Drying Towels, and i gather some do OK with touchless drying too.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with having so many GOOD choices

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    The problem with having so many GOOD choices

Just get the LMF Sucker and call it a day. Not biased as I do have BOTH the PFM and the Sucker...

Post Thanks / Like

I think the answer to which drying towel is best depends partly on how it`s being used (i.e. your technique), and the state of your paint surface. Scratches and swirls create a surface that tends to hold on to water and just about any towel will push water around vs. easily absorbing it when the paint is leveled, slick and hydrophic. I can imagine saying that towel x is best for that car using that technique. Maybe a WW is best when laying it on the paint and patting dry, but a plush one is better when wiping. Maybe a pat dry works better on uncorrected paint. I don`t know, but as I write this it occurs to me that the drying technique may matter more than the towel type. Pick 2 or 3 that get a lot of praise and choose your favorite. There`s no objective answer.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P-nut View Post
    .. Scratches and swirls create a surface that tends to hold on to water and just about any towel will push water around vs. easily absorbing it when the paint is leveled, slick and hydrophic..
    Huh, that`s interesting, again in that !YMMV! kind of way.

IME as long as the surface is well-LSPed, the water gets picked up just fine regardless of how marred up it is...though I supposed the LSP (and of course Drying Towel) might factor in...I`ve just never experienced it making a diff, and I`ve done some *horribly* marred-up/uncorrected vehicles.

My `93 Audi has marring and a *LOT* of pitting/etching/etc. that can`t be corrected, and it dries just fine, exactly the same as my near-perfect vehicles.

Now, IME Oxidation is another story, that sure *can* make a diff but then I`ve never been able to properly LSP an oxidized vehicle either.

NOT arguing or anything, just showing how experiences differ.

Post Thanks / Like

The safest I’ve used is the Gyeon Silk Dryer. I love these towels and have purchased them in two sizes. I’d love to have more of the smaller ones when claying. They just don’t give up and are insanely delicate on the paint.

Regarding RC Dry Me A River towels: if anyone is having issues with these, don’t give up on them. They get better as they age. Use them and wash them, and you’ll see. These have been my favorite waffle weaves.

Remember when the Cobra was the only high-end WW in town? Things have changed.

Post Thanks / Like

I always find it interesting when somebody touts being able to "dry with just one"/etc. I hardly ever do that with the body proper (even though I blow ~95% of the water off first), and never give a second thought to getting out more Drying Towels. And besides "the body proper" there are jambs/wheels/wells/undercarriage/engine compartment..all *sorts* of different areas, some of which might not be 100% clean even after a meticulous wash. Do all that with one towel? No way...I end up using a scad of different Drying Towels of different types, even some (soft plush) cotton ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Any post on here that asks “what’s the best” is going to have several different answers and reasons why. It all boils down to personal preference and technique. I’m sure any of the towels mentioned would do a great job for you.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, PakShak...I haven`t thought about them in a long time. They are still around, it looks like they don`t even sell towels anymore? For that matter I see no reference to Ranney, so maybe they sold the biz. It was him and his brother as I recall. I think I still have a sampling somewhere of Pak towels that I bought to see what they were like...that I don`t think I ever tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- I still have some of theirs that I haven`t used yet too...which is OK by me as for [the jobs those are suited to] I`m happy using the same MFs I`ve had since forever despite all the new ones on the market. Now Drying and Glass towels OTOH...those`re different and there`ve sure been some advances.

Interesting that PakShak might be out of the MF game.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, ended up getting 3 16x16 griots PFM (1120 gsm) towels from all placed Pep Boys for $4.47 a towel (so my inner cheapskate won out there) Yes pakshak was my first introduction to a real microfiber towel. Heres a trip down memory lane i found my invoice (gotta love GMAIL) from 2009. Prices are about the same as now.

Name Code Qty Each Options
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MICROPAK 16" x 16" Ultra 16x16-Ultra-MFT1 3 3.50 Colors Available = Dark Green
    Micro Fiber Towel
    MICROPAK 25" x 36" 25x36-Ultra-Soft-WaffleWeave-MFT1 1 14.50 Color Available = Light Blue
    Ultra-Soft Waffle Weave
    Micro Fiber Towel
    MICROPAK 24" x 36" Waffle 24x36-WaffleWeave-MFT1 1 14.50 Color Available = Light Blue
    Weave Micro Fiber Towel
    MICROPAK 16" x 16" 16x16-UltraEdgeless-MFT1 3 4.50 Color Available = White
    Ultra-Edgeless Micro
    Fiber Towel
    MICROPAK 16" x 24" 16x24-UltraPlush-MFT1 1 6.50 Color Available = Lavender
    Ultra-Plush Micro Fiber
    Towel
    Subtotal 59.50
    Shipping 14.95
    Total 74.45

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information