Post Thanks / Like

Question on drying aid and applying wax

Hey everyone. I had a question about using a drying aid at the end of the wash. If the plan is to put a coat of wax, does it matter that you use a drying aid ? Does it affect its bond to the car paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on drying aid and applying wax

You could just use a spray wax as a drying aid and then have e nothing g to worry about with bonding issues

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Likes brazillianguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Brazil, you are saying use a drying aid (WW, QD or Spray wax?) while the paint is bare and then putting the wax on sometime in the future?

What type drying aid and what type wax? These answers should clear things up.

Post Thanks / Like

Just use the spray wax as the drying aid and then I`m done is what you`re saying right?

Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna use something like beadmaker (Since I had already bought the gallon a bit ago) while I was drying. Then was wondering if I could put a wax on top of that (I.e. carnuba based). Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brazillianguy View Post
    I was gonna use something like beadmaker (Since I had already bought the gallon a bit ago) while I was drying. Then was wondering if I could put a wax on top of that (I.e. carnuba based). Just curious.
    Yes, you should be able to put a carnauba wax on a sealant. Sometimes a non-durable undercoating like BM might impact the longevity of the topping product (whichever wax you’re choosing), but I think there’s a decent chance that the solvents in the wax will dissolve the BM and/or mix with it and will last OK... and if not, you’ll find out and apply wax again.

In other words, I personally would feel comfortable using wax anytime after BM... and even further topping the wax with BM drying aids if I felt in the mood. Just my thoughts though.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Use the new HS Ceramic wet wax as your drying aid. It is what it was made for. Amazing product.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/hybr...l#.Xoh1km5Fxjo
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Purely to get the most out of your products it is recommended that the most durable product comes first. With the exception of bare paint, an LSP is only as durable as what you`ve put it on top of

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Purely to get the most out of your products it is recommended that the most durable product comes first. With the exception of bare paint, an LSP is only as durable as what you`ve put it on top of
    This is another case where my first-hand experiences differ from the Conventional Wisdom in a huge way.

Not to sound argumentative or anything, but I have *NOT* found that to be the case, much to my surprise. I`ve had countless underlying products fail/change while the LSP on top has remained perfectly good. In fact, I hardly ever apply my LSPs to purely bare paint, but rather over top of stuff that doesn`t last long at all on its own, yet I get such great durability that I myself find it hard to believe.

E.g., the old 1Z WaxPolishSoft will last about a heartbeat before failing, yet the car I did with that and then topped with FK1000P doesn`t even need redone annually. Ditto for everything else I use the FK on, that stuff doesn`t care what`s underneath it, nor did any of the Collinites I`ve used or M16.

In fact, using M16 over top of a Meguiar`s Pure Polish was SOP for decades...and during that time M16 earned a well-deserved reputation for being one seriously long-lived LSP.

I do find this an interesting topic, and always wonder how other people`s experiences with it go...
    Thanks atbalfour thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting but that does definitely defy conventional logic. My own experiences (albeit with different products) have been the opposite - for example pretty much anything I put on top of Autoglym Super Resin polish hasn`t lasted. I`m no chemist, but unless the solvents are doing something to the base product to allow them to adhere directly to paint?

Or.. the initial product hasn`t failed as you expected. It`s pretty much impossible to tell when something has truly failed.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My advice is to chill out and don`t worry about these things. If you are trying to acheive a nice deep carnauba glow, then your only issue is how the BM will *change the look* of the final result. Back when I was very much into waxes, I found that Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe or Griots Speed Shine were the best drying aids when wanting to maximize caranuba effects. Something like BM may impart a candy shine that wants to compete with the warm depth of carnauba.

But, you know when I started to really ENJOY detailing was when I stopped worrying so much.
    Likes dschribs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of folks think when you apply any LSP on top it’s solvents basically strip away whats underneath. That would maybe explain accumulator’s experience.

I’ve always been wax over sealant unless something like beadmaker that doesn’t last very long. Was designed for constant re application for best performance. Id use that on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Interesting but that does definitely defy conventional logic. My own experiences (albeit with different products) have been the opposite - for example pretty much anything I put on top of Autoglym Super Resin polish hasn`t lasted...
    Heh heh, interesting indeed as I`m one of the few people here who likes/uses SRP, and *my* experiences with it are in-line with what I posted! Ever since the early `80s that`s been something I`ve topped with all sorts of things with no downside.

Well, I *assumed* no downside with Souveran, but that stuff is so short-lived that gee who knows? My fave combo on the Jag is SRP + Souveran, and it does last as long as Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or KAIO + Souveran and also, more significantly, Souveran on bare paint.

I currently have FK1000P on some SRP that`s stayed fine for [I won`t say how long ] on parts of the Crown Vic.

See how that !YMMV! factors in?!? (I`m gonna be scratching my head about this particular one for a while )

Also interesting is the diff regarding "whether you can tell something failed" as I find big diffs between bare SRP and topped-with-something SRP, but that`s probably just me and the stuff I`ve used on it.

ANYHOW...I`m just pleased as Punch that somebody else likes the SRP! Yeah, gotta keep it off trim, and it`s no big wow as a cleaner, but I still really like it.
    Likes atbalfour liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    My advice is to chill out and don`t worry about these things...
    If you aren`t fanatical about your LSP lasting as long as possible

If you are trying to acheive a nice deep carnauba glow,..[then I like]...Griots Speed Shine..[as one of my].. drying aids when wanting to maximize caranuba effects.[/quote]

Yeah, exact same opinion here! I really liked SpeedShine on carnaubas, but quit using it when I quit using those LSPs.

But, you know when I started to really ENJOY detailing was when I stopped worrying so much.
    Heh heh, avoiding the Curse of Autopia, where everything has to be *just so* is indeed important for some of us I`m glad you`re still *enjoying* this stuff, as I gather most here do. And yeah, I`ve actually enjoyed my non-Autopian vehicles the most overall..they`re *VEHICLES* fer cryin` out loud, assuming we`re not talking one-off Duesenbergs or somesuch

EDIT: and Duesenbergs/etc. were somebody`s daily drivers back when they were new! When I was a kid I knew a couple who used their consecutive-serial number pair of Gullwings as *year-round daily drivers*..in Ohio. Just thought of that as their equally wonderful house is now for sale.

Thread Information