Post Thanks / Like

Question Foam Applicators Are They One Time Use?

With the red foam hand applicators, do you use them once for what ever the task is on a complete detail job and then discard them or do you try to reuse them?

If you do, what about when they tear/rip as most I`ve found do, especially when doing wheels/rims and sharp edges?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam Applicators Are They One Time Use?

I buy them in bulk packs, and depending on what I used as a product, and what I used it on, I might try to clean it with an APC, and if it works and all the product is rinsed out, I might use it again..
    An example, on plastic interior cleaning, conditioning with clear liquids..

Anything that has to do with wheels, brakes, etc.,that might get some nice metallic brake dust embedded in it, that has to go to the trash.. Not worth the risk to perhaps damage something with a re-use..

Same for any waxes, or grease, oil, products - these are not going to wash out perfectly for my uses..

Sometimes, if I don`t want to deal with it, I just chuck them...
    Dan F
    Likes Dispatch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Same for me. I will give them a couple spritzs of APC to see if it will clean up. I have a repeat customer that is a used car dealer and for his tires I use the same product so I keep that applicator separate and use it only for that dressing till it wears out.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Same for me. I will give them a couple spritzs of APC to see if it will clean up. I have a repeat customer that is a used car dealer and for his tires I use the same product so I keep that applicator separate and use it only for that dressing till it wears out.
    Yes ! for those goopy things that are never going to stop being used, I will put the foam applicator into a Sandwich Zip Loc, and there it goes into the cabinet until next time..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I buy them in bulk packs, and depending on what I used as a product, and what I used it on, I might try to clean it with an APC, and if it works and all the product is rinsed out, I might use it again..
    An example, on plastic interior cleaning, conditioning with clear liquids..

Anything that has to do with wheels, brakes, etc.,that might get some nice metallic brake dust embedded in it, that has to go to the trash.. Not worth the risk to perhaps damage something with a re-use..

Same for any waxes, or grease, oil, products - these are not going to wash out perfectly for my uses..

Sometimes, if I don`t want to deal with it, I just chuck them...
    Dan F
    Any particular kind you use Dan?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    Any particular kind you use Dan?
    Amigo !

Just the regular yellow, round, foam pads, wherever I can find in bulk..
    Autopia has a pad package at their store..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I reuse mine over and over and..

Like Stokdgs I buy whatever`s cheapest when there`s a big sale on, but I`ve learned to *NOT* expect `em to stay OK indefinitely as some crumble to dust or get..icky...after a (very long) while, even though I store them in a Rubbermaid in climate-controlled conditions.

But I don`t use them on potentially nasty things like wheels/undercarriages. For that I use older MFs or cotton towels.

Dispatch- Huh, I`m surprised that yours tear, but I guess different jobs are different. For most things I`d expect them to still work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, I just toss them in the 5gal bucket of Snappy solution along with the `machine pads`. Unless they really too grungy, then APC wash by hand.

Just my 2¢...

Bill
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, one of these days I`m gonna get some Snappy/etc. and quit struggling with the Dawn Power Dissolver...but I *am* gonna use that stuff up first and I suspect it`ll end up lasting longer than I will (and I plan to be here for a good long time yet).
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I reuse mine over and over and..

Like Stokdgs I buy whatever`s cheapest when there`s a big sale on, but I`ve learned to *NOT* expect `em to stay OK indefinitely as some crumble to dust or get..icky...after a (very long) while, even though I store them in a Rubbermaid in climate-controlled conditions.

But I don`t use them on potentially nasty things like wheels/undercarriages. For that I use older MFs or cotton towels.

Dispatch- Huh, I`m surprised that yours tear, but I guess different jobs are different. For most things I`d expect them to still work fine.
    Yeah, I buy good quality ones but they just don`t hold up, single-use is about it, this is why I figured I`d post it here to see if I was the only one.

Any sharp edges like brake rotors and other edges like hose clamp ends and such on the bikes (motorcycles have a lot of sharp trim), no matter how careful I am, it rips and tears the hell out of them.

It seems a shame as I said they are really good quality (Buff And Shine), and are good and thick but they just don`t last, as Stokdgs said, they get contaminated and I don`t want cross-contamination no how anywhere...

Post Thanks / Like

I will save my wax or sealant ones, clean best I can, then save for dirtier jobs such as tires, wheels or trim sealant. Or I will save one with Wax A in a plastic bag for next time I use Wax A (assuming that’s going to be somewhat near term).

Post Thanks / Like

Dispatch- Guess it`s another of those !YMMV! things...wonder why mine last forever?!? I`ve been using the same pair to FK my SUVs for, gee...over a decade and those are my *newer* ones. The ones I use for M16/Collinite are still labeled referencing my late father`s cars (which car I used which on) and he`s been gone for nearly 20 years!

I can sure see the hoseclamps tearing `em up though, yeah..that`s something I didn`t think of. Speaking of "not thinking of.." how/why are they coming in contact with brake rotors? Gotta admit that has me scratching my head...

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82
    I will save one with Wax A in a plastic bag for next time I use Wax A (assuming that’s going to be somewhat near term).
    I`ve done that since forever, can`t even recall the last time it caused issues (if it ever did). Leaving them in the *tin* can kill `em though, at least with some LSPs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Dispatch- Guess it`s another of those !YMMV! things...wonder why mine last forever?!? I`ve been using the same pair to FK my SUVs for, gee...over a decade and those are my *newer* ones. The ones I use for M16/Collinite are still labeled referencing my late father`s cars (which car I used which on) and he`s been gone for nearly 20 years!

I can sure see the hoseclamps tearing `em up though, yeah..that`s something I didn`t think of. Speaking of "not thinking of.." how/why are they coming in contact with brake rotors? Gotta admit that has me scratching my head...

I`ve done that since forever, can`t even recall the last time it caused issues (if it ever did). Leaving them in the *tin* can kill `em though, at least with some LSPs.
    No choice, (as you know), aside from the tires, its the nastiest part of the bike to detail, a lot of the time they look really bad and become corroded as the metal stains due to it being uncoated metal, I use CG metal wax on them, the little bit of wax it provides coats them but burns off fast within the first few miles of riding.

Factory, stock brake rotors unlike aftermarket ones are not polished and refined.

The thin carnauba wax and polymers lock out moisture and gives UV protection, it also keeps them from future corrosion (for a while), but most importantly aids in repelling brake dust...

Thread Information