Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Buff & Shine Euro fiber pads

As you know, I just used the Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax on the Camaro using a foam cutting pad. It went well enough, but no matter how little I tried to use, it seemed to over apply and made removal not as easy as it was for Brian at Apex Detailing.

It was suggested to me that the foam pad was the issue and I should use a Meguiar`s microfiber pad or a Buff & Shine euro-fiber pad in the future for better/easier results.

What is everyone`s opinion on this? Should I invest in a few of the Meguiar`s mf pads or the Buff & Shine ones?
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buff & Shine Euro fiber pads

Have you tried the damp towel removal trick? I think I read somewhere a damp towel eases in removal, and maybe helps in activating the ceramics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    As you know, I just used the Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax on the Camaro using a foam cutting pad. It went well enough, but no matter how little I tried to use, it seemed to over apply and made removal not as easy as it was for Brian at Apex Detailing.

It was suggested to me that the foam pad was the issue and I should use a Meguiar`s microfiber pad or a Buff & Shine euro-fiber pad in the future for better/easier results.

What is everyone`s opinion on this? Should I invest in a few of the Meguiar`s mf pads or the Buff & Shine ones?
    Whose foam pad and what size did you use ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Whose foam pad and what size did you use ?
    Dan F
    I used a Meguiar`s thin maroon cutting pad. 5"
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Have you tried the damp towel removal trick? I think I read somewhere a damp towel eases in removal, and maybe helps in activating the ceramics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn`t have any distilled water on hand, so I used the HS Ceramic 3 in 1 Spray Detailer. It made it easier, but nowhere as easy as it looked on the Apex Detailing vids.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t had any issues with this polish, especially with foam pads. I love it actually. Try a damp towel.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes using less of any polish makes removal hard because you are actually drying it out. I still don’t get these “2 pea size drop” people but that’s a whole different topic.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

I don`t know how much product you applied to the pad, but I hope you had -Several- of these pads to complete your Camaro..

As you probably know, I use the best non-absorbing pad out there, and I still use a lot of them to finish a Detail because as you know, a lot of stuff comes off the paint and wants to stay in the pad..

And, to add to this process I -Always- spray a little foam pad conditioner on the pad, along with the product (I never use pea-size-drops), so that everyone will have a nice time getting acquainted with the paint, and everything has time to work down to the desired result.

It is finding that balance between product, pad conditioner, and the condition of the pad/paint each time.. You just have to watch and feel what is going on under there, stop frequently to check your progress, and it all starts to flow..

Does that Meguiars Maroon Thin Cutting Pad finish down nice enough so you don`t have to follow up with another pad, and perhaps a polish ?

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Does that Meguiars Maroon Thin Cutting Pad finish down nice enough so you don`t have to follow up with another pad, and perhaps a polish ?

Dan F
    Actually, yes. Especially with this polish. All but the worst scratches are gone with no hazing whatsoever. I blame myself for the difficulties I had, I was in too much of a hurry. This polish is different from anything I`ve used before and I didn`t take the time I needed to figure it out.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, yes. Especially with this polish. All but the worst scratches are gone with no hazing whatsoever. I blame myself for the difficulties I had, I was in too much of a hurry. This polish is different from anything I`ve used before and I didn`t take the time I needed to figure it out.
    Don,
    Sounds great that this pad and product worked out for you !

Here is all I know about microfiber - it works fast, dries fast unless you mind it, corrects fast, but does not leave paintwork clarity, so needs foam after, to fix that..

And microfiber needs air to blow out the fibers after every pass, so you have to have that air around all the time..
    Have heard some just brush it off and keep going, and perhaps that works out also..

I tried it long ago when it was the rage, it did not do it for me..

Maybe now, there are better microfiber pads that work better, finish way better, and are not as high maintenance, as they were to me when I tried them..

Good luck with your research..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Don,
    Sounds great that this pad and product worked out for you !

Here is all I know about microfiber - it works fast, dries fast unless you mind it, corrects fast, but does not leave paintwork clarity, so needs foam after, to fix that..

And microfiber needs air to blow out the fibers after every pass, so you have to have that air around all the time..
    Have heard some just brush it off and keep going, and perhaps that works out also..

I tried it long ago when it was the rage, it did not do it for me..

Maybe now, there are better microfiber pads that work better, finish way better, and are not as high maintenance, as they were to me when I tried them..

Good luck with your research..
    Dan F
    I`m looking at the Buff & Shine uro-fiber 50/50 pads that Brian at Apex detailing uses. They seem to finish out really nice for him in his videos.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t have any distilled water on hand, so I used the HS Ceramic 3 in 1 Spray Detailer. It made it easier, but nowhere as easy as it looked on the Apex Detailing vids.
    Brian`s some sort of evil wizard, either that or his videos are heavily edited and just fake. A few weeks ago he made a video using some damn Nevea hand lotion and got correction almost as good as I get with my Scholl`s S2 Gold lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I haven’t had any issues with this polish, especially with foam pads. I love it actually. Try a damp towel.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes using less of any polish makes removal hard because you are actually drying it out. I still don’t get these “2 pea size drop” people but that’s a whole different topic.
    Dr Oldz --
    Hope you guys are all safe up there..

Perhaps 15+ years ago, there was this big thing about how much product to apply to the foam pad, and a lot of talk about "priming the pad", remember ?

if one "primed" the foam pad (microfiber had not been invented yet) with the media -first-, then it would only require a few pea-sized drops going forward in the correction process, because the pad retained some of the media, moisture, from the work you just did..

For sure, Rotary Power users like myself, always want the work to be "just" moist enough to achieve the working time I want, so rather than apply more product to the pad, I just spray a little Pad Conditioner, keep everyone on the pad happy at work on that panel, and am able to work everything down so well, that I hardly ever have anything left to wipe off.. Wipe off problem/s solved..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, I`m utterly astounded that a Meguiar`s Maroon Cutting Pad can finish out OK...none of my older-tech ones (thick or thin) ever came close with any product! I`m guessing they`re different foam these days, just the same color..

And I`m no Finishing Pad Snob; the Cyclo/?Rupes? Green ones often finish out perfectly for me (with the right product).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Gee, I`m utterly astounded that a Meguiar`s Maroon Cutting Pad can finish out OK...none of my older-tech ones (thick or thin) ever came close with any product! I`m guessing they`re different foam these days, just the same color..

And I`m no Finishing Pad Snob; the Cyclo/?Rupes? Green ones often finish out perfectly for me (with the right product).
    I`ve always been able to get a better finish with the Meguiar`s thin Maroon pads than the Rupes Green foam pads. Those green Rupes pads are pretty aggressive I thought!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LashingStanley View Post
    I`ve always been able to get a better finish with the Meguiar`s thin Maroon pads than the Rupes Green foam pads. Those green Rupes pads are pretty aggressive I thought!
    Maybe I`m extrapolating incorrectly...I was really referring to the *Cyclo* green pads, and with Rupes owning Cyclo now I *ASSumed* they might be the same. Note-to-self about ..."oughta know better"

EDIT: I bet there`s no "maybe" about it!
    Likes LashingStanley liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information