Post Thanks / Like

Fixing deep scratches with dirt in bedded in them

I got a few scratches in my truck that I would like to fix. I tried cleaning them clay and washing them really good but I can’t get the dirt that’s in bedded in the scratches out.

I’ve had luck before with wet sanding and getting them out. I think these are through the clear and into the base coat, so Im thinking I should clean the dirt out and then use a little touch up clear. Then wet sand and buff area.

Anyone got any tips? It’s a white GMC truck, so the dirt is really going to stand out if I don’t get it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing deep scratches with dirt in bedded in them

Dozerboy- If you can`t get the clay/etc. in there to do it mechanically, I don`t see any way to do it other than chemically. So...per usual (after inspecting with magnification to be 100% certain what`s going on), I`d decontaminate with ValuGard`s "ABC". Specifically, (probably) the "A".

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day we would use lacquer thinner on the door cups of white/silver auction cars. Did a great job cleaning the dirt out but Ron Ketcham says the thinner can potentially cause paint damage later on down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Back in the day we would use lacquer thinner on the door cups of white/silver auction cars. Did a great job cleaning the dirt out but Ron Ketcham says the thinner can potentially cause paint damage later on down the road.
    And IME it strips repaints like magic, and you never know what (really) is post-production paintwork. I`d be all about not making the situation worse as my first priority...I`d even risk sanding the dirt down into the paint before I tried thinner/reducer/etc.

(Repeat suggestion to inspect under magnification; sometimes "dirt"...isn`t.)

Thread Information