Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

WOWA sealant comparison of McKee`s and Wolfgang

Hi folks,

I saw the video by Dallas Paint Correction where he compared Ultima Paint Guard Plus (UPGP) to Optimum Opti-Seal. The claim was that UPGP was a true Wipe On Walk Away product compared to Opti-Seal (or I guess it was more WOWA).

How does the WOWAness of "McKee`s 37 10 Minute Paint Sealant" and "Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal" compare to UPGP?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOWA sealant comparison of McKee`s and Wolfgang

Opti-Seal isn`t a "true" WOWA? I must have been using it wrong all these years.
    Likes getgoing liked this post
    Thanks getgoing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Opti-Seal isn`t a "true" WOWA? I must have been using it wrong all these years.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWLgAzE_vE

If it (Opti-Seal) also is "true" WOWA, then my question will change to:
    How does the WOWAness of "McKee`s 37 10 Minute Paint Sealant" and "Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal" compare to UPGP and Opti-Seal?

Post Thanks / Like

UPGP is the odd ball in the mix above, the rest are very similar styles of products in terms of how they atomize and cover the paint when you spray them on the surface, and how they leave the paint feeling. Opti-Seal, WG Liquid Seal, Blackfire Crystal Seal, these feel the most comparable in terms of properties, application, and performance. I prefer Liquid Seal and Crystal Seal over Opti-Seal because they`re scented, with LS having a cherry scent, and CS having a nice cotton candy type scent. All three of these really seem to spread nicely, level out well and wipe cleanly without much buffing with the microfiber.

McKee`s 37 10 Minute Paint Sealant feels a bit heavier in terms of application compared to the Opti-Seal trio above. Atomizes the same, takes just a bit more time to fully level but it does so easily with a final pass on a clean microfiber or after flipping the towel over to a clean section. Slightly more hydrophobic than the trio, unscented.

Meguiar`s Fast Finish is lighter than M37 10 Minute, I`d say on par with Opti-Seal in terms of wipe on/off, slightly more hydrophobic than the rest above, unscented. Fast Finish is an awesome choice if you really enjoy this style of sealant, I would say better durability than Opti-Seal. You probably won`t get as many uses out of the aerosol can though.

UPGP is the heaviest of the bunch, definitely needs a some additional wiping to get it to level out nicely, slickest feeling of the bunch. Can`t remember the exact hydrophobic performance off the top of my head but I believe it was stronger than Opti-Seal in the short term.

I`m actually a big fan of the Opti-Seal style sealants because they`re ridiculously easy to work with, but I will use them as toppers to a stronger base layer sealant. They aren`t going to quench the thirst of the fanatical hydrophobes like myself, but it`s always a pleasure to pull them out and enjoy the application process and end result.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes getgoing, Lonnie, DBAILEY liked this post
    Thanks getgoing, Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by getgoing View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWLgAzE_vE

If it (Opti-Seal) also is "true" WOWA, then my question will change to:
    How does the WOWAness of "McKee`s 37 10 Minute Paint Sealant" and "Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal" compare to UPGP and Opti-Seal?
    I think Loach gave you a very detailed answer to your question. As far as the video, I don`t know what that guy`s agenda is, I notice he used a white car that you couldn`t see anything on, and didn`t demonstrate the flaws of Opti-Seal that he spoke of. If he has no agenda, I`d say he simply hasn`t taken the time to become proficient applying WOWA sealants.

Disclaimer: My bottle of Opti-Seal is the original formulation, rather than the latest, it`s possible the newer version is more difficult to use.
    Likes getgoing, johnboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d have to say a totally full of junk video.
    I`ve used 3 of these products, and my personal findings is that UPGP can be the easiest of all to over-apply, (oily) and have a need to come back to level, and remove excess. UPGP is oustanding, the first of all I ever tried, Dave (T435) sent me some probably 5-6 or so years ago with other goodies (thank you again Dave!) quite impressive product!

They all need it (further wipe downs)

But these products I`ve used are all so darn easy to use, jesus, have people gotten that darn lazy and worthess today?

WG, UPGP, and Opti-Seal are all in my arsenal. And I really do like them all, outstanding, and very easy. Offer pretty darn decent protection too, without busting your tail.

Sure, I love good Pastes but what I hate about Pastes is digging them out from every nook, cranny, and crevice. The WOWAs don`t possess this issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only speak to Mckees 10 Minute, therefore I obviously have no comparison to make... but as Loach stated above, 10 Minute may/does take a final wipe off in my opinion. It’s substantial enough that if I only wipe it in and walk away, there will be some smears or hazes left behind. But a very light wipe off with a clean towel afterwards is all it takes to prevent that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think i own one product, not even a QD that is wipe on walk away. Evem merlins mix i gott follow up with a final buff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say to you guys, I started using WOWA`s when they first came out in 2007 (Zaino Clear Seal was the first, in Feb. 2007, followed in the summer by Opti-Seal, and UPGP late in the year). You`ve got to work them in good and spread them out, to minimize any high spots. If you do get high spots doing that, you can walk away from them and they`ll be gone the next day.

As MarkD kind of said, if I hadn`t been a member here for forever and had more LSP`s than I could possibly use in my lifetime...if my house burned down and I had to start over, I think WOWA`s would be all I use...on every surface of the vehicle...except maybe the tires...which I`d use WETS or UTTG for. Although I would probably use a coating on the tires, and maybe something like HydrO2 for the wheels if they were intricate.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post

UPGP is the odd ball in the mix above, the rest are very similar styles of products in terms of how they atomize and cover the paint when you spray them on the surface, and how they leave the paint feeling. Opti-Seal, WG Liquid Seal, Blackfire Crystal Seal, these feel the most comparable in terms of properties, application, and performance. I prefer Liquid Seal and Crystal Seal over Opti-Seal because they`re scented, with LS having a cherry scent, and CS having a nice cotton candy type scent. All three of these really seem to spread nicely, level out well and wipe cleanly without much buffing with the microfiber.

McKee`s 37 10 Minute Paint Sealant feels a bit heavier in terms of application compared to the Opti-Seal trio above. Atomizes the same, takes just a bit more time to fully level but it does so easily with a final pass on a clean microfiber or after flipping the towel over to a clean section. Slightly more hydrophobic than the trio, unscented.

Meguiar`s Fast Finish is lighter than M37 10 Minute, I`d say on par with Opti-Seal in terms of wipe on/off, slightly more hydrophobic than the rest above, unscented. Fast Finish is an awesome choice if you really enjoy this style of sealant, I would say better durability than Opti-Seal. You probably won`t get as many uses out of the aerosol can though.

UPGP is the heaviest of the bunch, definitely needs a some additional wiping to get it to level out nicely, slickest feeling of the bunch. Can`t remember the exact hydrophobic performance off the top of my head but I believe it was stronger than Opti-Seal in the short term.

I`m actually a big fan of the Opti-Seal style sealants because they`re ridiculously easy to work with, but I will use them as toppers to a stronger base layer sealant. They aren`t going to quench the thirst of the fanatical hydrophobes like myself, but it`s always a pleasure to pull them out and enjoy the application process and end result.
    Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I can only speak to Mckees 10 Minute, therefore I obviously have no comparison to make... but as Loach stated above, 10 Minute may/does take a final wipe off in my opinion. It’s substantial enough that if I only wipe it in and walk away, there will be some smears or hazes left behind. But a very light wipe off with a clean towel afterwards is all it takes to prevent that.
    Thanks dear Loach, acuRAS82 and others for your guidance.

My overall takeaway is that can`t go wrong with any of the 4 products. From Dallas PC video it seemed that UPGP would be easier to use (for inexperienced like me), but from this thread sounds like all 4 would be almost equally simple to use.

Rather than make a new thread for their wax sprays:
    Can I assume the same for the spray waxes? That they are essentially the same and interchangeable?

Optimum Car Wax
    Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax
    Wolfgang Fuzion Spray Wax
    McKee`s 37 Fast Wax

Wolfgang seems most expensive, and Ultima wax spray is cheapest, so I will pick Ultima if they are all the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I have to say to you guys, I started using WOWA`s when they first came out in 2007 (Zaino Clear Seal was the first, in Feb. 2007, followed in the summer by Opti-Seal, and UPGP late in the year). You`ve got to work them in good and spread them out, to minimize any high spots. If you do get high spots doing that, you can walk away from them and they`ll be gone the next day.

As MarkD kind of said, if I hadn`t been a member here for forever and had more LSP`s than I could possibly use in my lifetime...if my house burned down and I had to start over, I think WOWA`s would be all I use...on every surface of the vehicle...except maybe the tires...which I`d use WETS or UTTG for. Although I would probably use a coating on the tires, and maybe something like HydrO2 for the wheels if they were intricate.
    What`s WETS or UTTG stand for please?

Post Thanks / Like

What`s WETS or UTTG stand for please?
    Sorry, that`s Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant and Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. They are basically WOWA products for trim and tires (although almost no one uses them on tires). They are also good on wiper arms. These are more difficult to apply and more likely to need a wipe; the WETS has more of an oil base rather than a solvent one. The UTTG was similar I think but is now water-based.

As far as the spray waxes, you also need to consider spray sealants like Duragloss AquaWax (DG AW) or Zaino Z-8...and probably a bunch of others. I find those two products easier to use than say, OCW. Of course OCW has the extra UV protection in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Rather than make a new thread for their wax sprays:
    Can I assume the same for the spray waxes? That they are essentially the same and interchangeable?

Optimum Car Wax
    Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax
    Wolfgang Fuzion Spray Wax
    McKee`s 37 Fast Wax

Wolfgang seems most expensive, and Ultima wax spray is cheapest, so I will pick Ultima if they are all the same.
    This gets a little trickier. I’m an avid spray wax user and here’s my take:

Optimum Car Wax (OCW) - Fairly substantial/thick, great longevity (1+ months, other users get longer). More of a sealant, glossy shine even though it has some carnauba. It’s a classic. Probably started the substantial, durable spray wax category. Doesn’t streak bad despite thickness, but does require buffing after initial wipe. Looks great on light colors. Can be used as a drying aid but I much prefer dry application.
    Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax - As the name suggests, this leaves an acrylic, colder shine. Not warm, but a sleek look. Awesome on silver. Thinnest Spray “wax” listed here, it barely requires buffing and I think can be used most often. I never used as a drying aid but seems like it could work.
    Wolfgang Fuzion Spray Wax - Nothing is really like this one, except maybe PBL Synergy Spray Sealant. Super thick. Wipe it on, watch it haze in a super thick, carnauba colored residue, then wipe off. Application is almost like a sealant except in spray form. Extremely shiny and substantial. Warm, rich and slick. Can last a month. It’s a beauty spray wax with longevity. Pretty good as drying aid (water thins it out), but you’ll still want to do a final wipe down once dry. It’s expensive but you kind of realize why during and after use.
    McKee`s 37 Fast Wax - Modeled after OCW (I recall from Nick). Fairly thick, but not as much as OCW, wipes off as easily or even easier. In my experience doesn’t last nearly as long as OCW (maybe 2 weeks vs 1+ months). The resulting look is similar to OCW too, except maaaybe a bit more wet looking vs OCW gloss. Great drying aid. Basically it’s like OCW but a bit less substantial in every way.

So I guess I think these aren’t all interchangeable, except OCW and Fast Wax.
    Interchangeable with Acylic, I would say Dodo Acrylic, Four Star Ultimate Spray Wax, Mckees Trademark Extender Wax, Wolfgang Sealant Spritz, BF Synthetic Spray. All very easy to apply and very slick and shiny.
    Interchangeable with Fuzion Wax might be PBL Synergy Spray (as far as thickness, longevity and application) or Pinnacle Souveran Spray as far as rich, deep, looks-like-its-a-beauty-wax-LSP.

Let me know if you want opinions of any others or just new questions.
    Likes getgoing, Loach liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite, getgoing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    This gets a little trickier. I’m an avid spray wax user and here’s my take:

Optimum Car Wax (OCW) - Fairly substantial/thick, great longevity (1+ months, other users get longer). More of a sealant, glossy shine even though it has some carnauba. It’s a classic. Probably started the substantial, durable spray wax category. Doesn’t streak bad despite thickness, but does require buffing after initial wipe. Looks great on light colors. Can be used as a drying aid but I much prefer dry application.
    Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax - As the name suggests, this leaves an acrylic, colder shine. Not warm, but a sleek look. Awesome on silver. Thinnest Spray “wax” listed here, it barely requires buffing and I think can be used most often. I never used as a drying aid but seems like it could work.
    Wolfgang Fuzion Spray Wax - Nothing is really like this one, except maybe PBL Synergy Spray Sealant. Super thick. Wipe it on, watch it haze in a super thick, carnauba colored residue, then wipe off. Application is almost like a sealant except in spray form. Extremely shiny and substantial. Warm, rich and slick. Can last a month. It’s a beauty spray wax with longevity. Pretty good as drying aid (water thins it out), but you’ll still want to do a final wipe down once dry. It’s expensive but you kind of realize why during and after use.
    McKee`s 37 Fast Wax - Modeled after OCW (I recall from Nick). Fairly thick, but not as much as OCW, wipes off as easily or even easier. In my experience doesn’t last nearly as long as OCW (maybe 2 weeks vs 1+ months). The resulting look is similar to OCW too, except maaaybe a bit more wet looking vs OCW gloss. Great drying aid. Basically it’s like OCW but a bit less substantial in every way.

So I guess I think these aren’t all interchangeable, except OCW and Fast Wax.
    Interchangeable with Acylic, I would say Dodo Acrylic, Four Star Ultimate Spray Wax, Mckees Trademark Extender Wax, Wolfgang Sealant Spritz, BF Synthetic Spray. All very easy to apply and very slick and shiny.
    Interchangeable with Fuzion Wax might be PBL Synergy Spray (as far as thickness, longevity and application) or Pinnacle Souveran Spray as far as rich, deep, looks-like-its-a-beauty-wax-LSP.

Let me know if you want opinions of any others or just new questions.
    What an informative and well written post. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

Just a quick follow up question please. I`m assuming that I can mix and match products from these companies, e.g. something like:
    Wolfgang rinseless wash.
    Ultima Paint Guard Plus
    Optimum Spray Wax

Is that okay to do?

Thanks.
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What an informative and well written post. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

Just a quick follow up question please. I`m assuming that I can mix and match products from these companies, e.g. something like:
    Wolfgang rinseless wash.
    Ultima Paint Guard Plus
    Optimum Spray Wax

Is that okay to do?

Thanks.
    Yeah, mixing and matching basic products like these shouldn’t be an issue. I haven’t used UPGP, but WG Uber RW will do its job on anything and OCW goes fine on top of any sealant I could ever think of. Not all products go together with other products or brands (coatings especially), but the type of products discussed in this thread aren’t very fussy and combos like what you mentioned should make you happy with each doing what it’s supposed to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information