Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone Tried The Rag Company`s New "The Gauntlet" Microfiber Drying Towel??

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Accumulator:
    FTW is The Rag Company`s (TRC`s) Premium Twisted Loop Weave 550 GSM Microfiber for cleaning glass or polishing metal (their recommended detailing task application, not mine.) How the "F" letter gets in there where TLW is the microfiber type is beyond me. Maybe something got lost in translation from Korean (Foreign language bashing are we, Captain Obvious?? Everything someone says about "others" is so sensitive these days, BUT it is for a good reason: No one likes to be made fun of or joked about at their expense.)
    I do see on TRC`s website that in customer`s reviews they are using this microfiber with Rene`s Beadmaker
    TRC`s FTW is an acronym for "For The Window", but commonly referred to as "For The Win", because they think it is a winning towel combination..... Took me a while to figure that out as well.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator:
    FTW is The Rag Company`s (TRC`s) Premium Twisted Loop Weave 550 GSM Microfiber for cleaning glass or polishing metal (their recommended detailing task application, not mine.) How the "F" letter gets in there where TLW is the microfiber type is beyond me. Maybe something got lost in translation from Korean (Foreign language bashing are we, Captain Obvious?? Everything someone says about "others" is so sensitive these days, BUT it is for a good reason: No one likes to be made fun of or joked about at their expense.)
    I do see on TRC`s website that in customer`s reviews they are using this microfiber with Rene`s Beadmaker
    Yes the orange FTW was made with Matt from Obsessed garages advice. He’s a Beadmaker fan. I guess it was tested by him and TRC with a drying aid on paint and it worked great. Matt calls the FTW a drying aid towel on his site. Dont know why TRC hasn’t changed the protect description on the site.

Link to Retail Site Removed

I love it with Beadmaker, opti seal, etc. only con is it not as absorbent as a thicker drying towel. You need 3-4 to do a car, less if blow drying most the water off first.
    I actually bought a few light blue FTW’s to use as a finishing towel along with the Glacier. Will be able to wash together afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for explaining the FTW, appreciate that.

Not that I`d use that to dry anything or to buff off a Drying Aid (not liking twisted loops or such light weight/low nap towels for jobs like that). Eh, I suspect I like thicker/plusher towels than many people for most jobs, just me being me again..

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am learning about microfiber acronyms, Let`s see:
    TRC = The Rag Company (a gimmme, Captain Obvious!)
    EE = Edgeless Eagles or Eagle Edgeless
    FTW = For The Window
    DMR = Dry Me a River
    PFM= "Pure Freakin` Magic" according to Griot`s Garage. I`d say "Pricey For a Microfiber" or "Pulls For Most" (Yes , the loops catch and pull A LOT)
    MM-CM= Microfiber Madness Chipmunk

I will say this: I am glad that The Autopia Store is "partnering" with The Rag Company to re-sell some of their microfibers. From what I gather in this thread, TRC`s microfibers are used by many of you. See my thread on which microfibers do you use for specific detailing tasks for verification:
    Favorite Microfiber for Specific Detailing Task List (Autopian Suggestions)

But I digress.... Back to the discussion on TRC`s "The Gauntlet" drying towel!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am learning about microfiber acronyms, Let`s see:
    TRC = The Rag Company (a gimmme, Captain Obvious!)
    EE = Edgeless Eagles or Eagle Edgeless
    FTW = For The Window
    DMR = Dry Me a River
    PFM= "Pure Freakin` Magic" according to Griot`s Garage. I`d say "Pricey For a Microfiber" or "Pulls For Most" (Yes , the loops catch and pull A LOT)
    MM-CM= Microfiber Madness Chipmunk

I will say this: I am glad that The Autopia Store is "partnering" with The Rag Company to re-sell some of their microfibers. From what I gather in this thread, TRC`s microfibers are used by many of you. See my thread on which microfibers do you use for specific detailing tasks for verification:
    Favorite Microfiber for Specific Detailing Task List (Autopian Suggestions)

But I digress.... Back to the discussion on TRC`s "The Gauntlet" drying towel!!
    Haha looks good.

Maybe if a lot of people request a 16x16, TRC will make it.
    Being a slightly less dense towel it would work great compared to the MM/CM.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone Tried The Rag Company`s New "The Gauntlet" Microfiber Drying Towel??

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Thanks for explaining the FTW, appreciate that.

Not that I`d use that to dry anything or to buff off a Drying Aid (not liking twisted loops or such light weight/low nap towels for jobs like that). Eh, I suspect I like thicker/plusher towels than many people for most jobs, just me being me again..
    I thought the same but after using the towel on paint .. its very smooth.
    The towel is really soft ... like all TL type towels, they “feel” rougher to the touch.
    Look at it this way...Waffle weaves are still popular... the FTW feels better than a WW.

Heck .. TRC’s most used towel is the lower nap EE 365... and Yvan (formerly from Opti coat) doesn’t like or use thicker/heavier nap towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I just read a nefarious account about his coating. Makes me wonder about the other products in his store. Right now I’m just glad I have the PFM.
    Based on what I`ve read on other forums, I`d not buy anything from Scott. He`s apparently good at selling his stuff but not so good at standing behind it when there`s a problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Based on what I`ve read on other forums, I`d not buy anything from Scott. He`s apparently good at selling his stuff but not so good at standing behind it when there`s a problem
    The Sucker/Jr. drying towels and the Jack`s are the only products under his brand that I will continue to purchase, and I will continue to purchase the Marolex sprayers as well. Revive is really nice, but is only sold in 16oz quantities, there is no way on God`s green earth that I would buy a gallon`s worth when Mckee`s37 Rinse Free Wash & Wax performs just as well for ~$44/gallon. His boutique prices for chemicals make me look towards other brands for economics without sacrificing performance.

Yes, be wise with your money, but at least give his towels and of course Marolexs` sprayers a chance. If all else fails, we can petition Marolex to sign a contract with OG to sell the sprayers at the same price or less because we all know that Matt can MOVE inventory. The Marolex sprayers are really really nice.....

Post Thanks / Like

@kjeeper - you seem to have try a loooot of towels i have been researching. In your humble opinion between the Mckee Glacier, Griorts PFM, MM Chipmunk, TRC Gauntlet. What is your preferred drying towel? I do have a car with softer clear (honda s2000). I was originally thinking of just going with the PFM since its proven but then started gettign worried about scratching? Im not a big matador dryer, I tend to rub back and forth (not sure I can break this non autopian habit).

Post Thanks / Like

estcstm3- Just FWIW, while I don`t like the PFMs (except the glass one, which I do love), even I would bet my paint that it won`t mar your Honda`s clear. I can`t think of *anybody who`s said that the PFMs are not, *in the purely functional, marring-instilling, sense*, perfectly OK.

And FWIW, I see *ZERO* reason to quit using the "rub your paint with them" approach to drying. Yeah, you always run the risk of residual dirt causing marring, but gee we "rub the paint" all the time when doing other stuff and nobody says not to when buffing off wax/etc. But I do get 99% of the water off first so I can minimize that rubbing, and I almost always use a Drying Aid, which oughta provide a little added margin of error.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used my PFM on my Honda’s paint plus the paint of a few other cars and got no marring whatsoever. They’re totally safe IME
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’ve used my PFM on my Honda’s paint plus the paint of a few other cars and got no marring whatsoever. They’re totally safe IME
    You`re one of the Autopians I was thinking of

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using the gauntlet towel for a couple of months and it`s easily the most absorbant towel I`ve used here in the UK..

I won`t be looking for anything else as it`s so good it`ll do both cars.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    estcstm3- Just FWIW, while I don`t like the PFMs (except the glass one, which I do love), even I would bet my paint that it won`t mar your Honda`s clear. I can`t think of *anybody who`s said that the PFMs are not, *in the purely functional, marring-instilling, sense*, perfectly OK.

And FWIW, I see *ZERO* reason to quit using the "rub your paint with them" approach to drying. Yeah, you always run the risk of residual dirt causing marring, but gee we "rub the paint" all the time when doing other stuff and nobody says not to when buffing off wax/etc. But I do get 99% of the water off first so I can minimize that rubbing, and I almost always use a Drying Aid, which oughta provide a little added margin of error.
    Good points. Think I’ll start with the PFMs and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    @kjeeper - you seem to have try a loooot of towels i have been researching. In your humble opinion between the Mckee Glacier, Griorts PFM, MM Chipmunk, TRC Gauntlet. What is your preferred drying towel? I do have a car with softer clear (honda s2000). I was originally thinking of just going with the PFM since its proven but then started gettign worried about scratching? Im not a big matador dryer, I tend to rub back and forth (not sure I can break this non autopian habit).

The Glacier hands down. Havnt tried the PFM but its the same type of towel. Same with the Suckers and Dreadnought (spelling?)

The Chipmunk/Gauntlet are nice towels but dont glide across the paint like the longer twist loop type towels (Glacier/PFM/ETC)
    Likes estcstm3 liked this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information