Post Thanks / Like

Paint prep for coatings

With the holiday sales still somewhat in motion I am considering picking up a coating to attempt this spring

I am still narrowing down between some products, but my main question is I. Regards to the prep side of the process

I don`t think I I need to do any heavy cutting, and I already have some Meg`s compound if I need to.

I do need to buy some different polish though....I have the CG`s polishes I bought when I started, and I think I could do better.

It seems like most coating companies offer their own line of polishes, and my thinking is if I use X companies coating, I should be very safe to use X companies polishes to prep for the coating. One would think it would give best results. I also see most companies offer a product that most refer to as the coating primer.

For example Gyeon they have their Quartz Polish and their Quartz Primer. I`ll only be applying the coating to a mid-sized vehicle and the offer their products in a 120ml size. Is that size bottle large enough to prep a mid-sized car?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint prep for coatings

Some coating manufactures offer primer polishes which will not only correct the paint but they will leave a layer of silica (SiO2) to "prime" the surface for the coating. For example you can use CarPro Essence and follow up with one of their paint coatings UK 3.0, TiO2 or Lite. The same goes for Gyeon`s Primer Polish. I would still recommend a light prep wipe to remove any of the oils from the polish just as a precaution. You don`t necessarily need a primer polish.

Many have used other polishes with coatings and not necessarily stay within the same product line.

If you are looking for polish recommendations then these get favorable reviews Sonax Perfect Finish, Sonax Ex 04-06, Optimum Hyper Polish, Meguiar`s M210. If you are looking for one product that does it all 3D One is an option as it is a compounding polish and is pad dependent. You would want to prep wipe the surface with some sort of prep wipe such CarPro Eraser.

What coatings are you leaning towards? Are you looking into a coating lite type product?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I used Carpros essence under CQUK3 and it definitely amped up gloss. I will be using under any coating I apply from here on out. Synergy of products is definitely a good idea but when you find something you like... use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Some coating manufactures offer primer polishes which will not only correct the paint but they will leave a layer of silica (SiO2) to "prime" the surface for the coating. For example you can use CarPro Essence and follow up with one of their paint coatings UK 3.0, TiO2 or Lite. The same goes for Gyeon`s Primer Polish. I would still recommend a light prep wipe to remove any of the oils from the polish just as a precaution. You don`t necessarily need a primer polish.

Many have used other polishes with coatings and not necessarily stay within the same product line.

If you are looking for polish recommendations then these get favorable reviews Sonax Perfect Finish, Sonax Ex 04-06, Optimum Hyper Polish, Meguiar`s M210. If you are looking for one product that does it all 3D One is an option as it is a compounding polish and is pad dependent. You would want to prep wipe the surface with some sort of prep wipe such CarPro Eraser.

What coatings are you leaning towards? Are you looking into a coating lite type product?
    Guz

I am looking at Gyeon one as it seems to be a good starting point for a 1st time coating user

But I am open to suggestions for good beginner coatings from other companies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Guz

I am looking at Gyeon one as it seems to be a good starting point for a 1st time coating user

But I am open to suggestions for good beginner coatings from other companies

I have not used One but hopefully Budget chimes in with his feedback on it. I heard it was not the most friendly product to work with.

You may want to consider Gyeon CanCoat or Cquartz Lite. Two good coatings for first timers. Essentially wipe on wipe off with no need to wait for flash times.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...artz-lite.html

Post Thanks / Like

I do have 3D one....I forgot I just bought that....so I could match that up with a pad for whatever purpose (cut or polish).....and then step up to a finishing / gloss polish? (Essence or Gyeons Primer) I saw you suggested Can Coat or CQuartz lite.....are either of those better for plastic trim and rims as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I used Carpros essence under CQUK3 and it definitely amped up gloss. I will be using under any coating I apply from here on out. Synergy of products is definitely a good idea but when you find something you like... use it

Would you be afraid to use Essence with a Gyeon coating?
    Also did you use Essence Plus or Essence extreme Gloss?

Post Thanks / Like

Would you be afraid to use Essence with a Gyeon coating?
    Also did you use Essence Plus or Essence extreme Gloss?
    Not at all Carpros says will work with any coating. You could even use a wax or sealant over it.

It was regular essence. Essence plus is for coating maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used One but hopefully Budget chimes in with his feedback on it. I heard it was not the most friendly product to work with.

You may want to consider Gyeon CanCoat or Cquartz Lite. Two good coatings for first timers. Essentially wipe on wipe off with no need to wait for flash times.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...artz-lite.html
    I found your thread with your review on CQuartz Lite

Looks like it`s been about 7 months now since application....what`s your thoughts as of now?

Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I found your thread with your review on CQuartz Lite

Looks like it`s been about 7 months now since application....what`s your thoughts as of now?

It a great product. You will be happy with it.

If you have not seen this thread then check it out.

https://www.autopia.org/forums/click...er-rs-awd.html

Here is another that I did with just 3D One and then coated.

https://www.autopia.org/forums/click...ona-392-a.html

Thread Information