Post Thanks / Like

Which is more versatile a 3" or 2" backing plate?

I have been contemplating purchasing a small backing plate, mating to a drill, to get into those small spaces.
    I see there is the BOSS™ 2" Backing plate and the 3 Inch Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate.
    Will the 3" DA work with the drill adapter and if not then my question is mute.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which is more versatile a 3" or 2" backing plate?

Honestly I think it gets cheaper and more stronger if you go with a M14 thread backing plate and a drill adapter to that vs the smaller thread on a DA backing plate. Depending a little also in which size your drill is in that you are going to be useing the setup with. If you have a bigger corded drill I would maybe go with the 3" M14 backing plate. And if you have a smaller cordless drill go with a 2" M14backing plate. There can be a feeling from the 2" backing plate on a bigger drill that it`s easy to get the tipping effect. So you feel a little safer with a 3" M14 backing plate and maybe even on the cordless drill. It`s standing still what the cordless screwdrivers is called in english LOL. But hope that you get what I mean. I like and feel like it`s very important to get the drill option on those cordless. So you can get a higher rotation speed with the drill setting vs the setting for screwdrivers options or the ones with momentum on them. Man this sounds strange when I translate it in my head even but hope that it`s understandable what I mean. Cause with a rotary mode and when you go smaller with backing plates you need more rpm to get it as effective as a bigger size backing plate. While if you have a DA and go with the smaller backing plate it`s spinning gets faster and more correction ability from them vs the bigger backing plates.

If you already have a 3" backing plate that you only need a drill adapter to that. You can test it out. I have used on small cordless drill a 2" backing plate that has even smaller sized thread and the smaller fitting on the adapter too. It`s the 6mm thread that you have usually on pneumatic small polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

The smallest backing plate I have is a 3 3/4" and that is still too big for small spaces. I have a cordless Dewalt drill that I am hoping to use with whatever small backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    The smallest backing plate I have is a 3 3/4" and that is still too big for small spaces. I have a cordless Dewalt drill that I am hoping to use with whatever small backing plate I go with
    I am leaning towards the 3".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    I am leaning towards the 3".
    That`s where I would get first also. You can always buy a 2" backing plate and pads later on when or if you feel that you would need one.

Looked a little on the drill attachement and Lake Country has one that you don`t need an adapter to it in the 3" size. And when you have gotten some experience with it you can get a rotary 2" backing plate with an drill adapter.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/dril...ing-plate.html

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/spot...l#.XeejhNZwFyU

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/rota...s-by-flex.html

I think that it works great to use a cordless drill to polishing with. Just have in mind that it`s as powerfull as a rotary polisher and you will be fine. Don`t use to much of pressure and you will have a better control also and the feel of the tipping effect gets less also. If you can have a handle on the cordless drill it gets more ergonomical to polishing with and also the control gets better for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve also been interested in a 2” backing plate....all I have right now is a PC, is there a 2” backing plate to fit my PC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    I’ve also been interested in a 2” backing plate....all I have right now is a PC, is there a 2” backing plate to fit my PC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I believe Griots Garage makes a kit with a 2 inch BP
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Thread Information