Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash mitt care / cleaning

That was a great post

Got me thinking more, which is why I asked the question

So I currently have 1 Megs microfiber Mitt

3 chenille mitts

2 lake country blue grout sponges

I`d like to pick up something just for wheels and tires, and decide on something for lower body panels. Thinking I`d like to pick up a microfiber pad or Mitt (or 2) for upper body

What, if anything, works best for glass?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wash mitt care / cleaning

Auto fiber has some MF finger mitts I use with boars hair detail brush and wheel woolies to clean wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    That was a great post

Got me thinking more, which is why I asked the question

So I currently have 1 Megs microfiber Mitt

3 chenille mitts

2 lake country blue grout sponges

I`d like to pick up something just for wheels and tires, and decide on something for lower body panels. Thinking I`d like to pick up a microfiber pad or Mitt (or 2) for upper body

What, if anything, works best for glass?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    You could downgrade the Megs wash mitt to wheel cleaning. Have not used it myself but have had it in my hand. And it feels flexible so you reach around the spokes I think. I use a brand called Vikan and their brushes for wheels and wheel wells. Different ones for each the rim and the tire and wheel wells and wheel barrels and usually don`t need it in the lugg nuts as they have long bristles. Know I have already invested in the Vikans but today I where very close to get the Wheel Woolies BHB to use on the rims as I have heard great things about it from many. Then I have a Tuf Shine Tire Brush which is awesome to use when you are going to be reapply your tire shine or coating. To get the tires really clean it`s one of if not the best tire brush for this except if you use a cordless drill attachement brush to do this. But if you have a tire dressing or coating that survives a wash the Tuf Shine Brush is too aggressive to cleaning on this and also their Tire Cleaner is just recommended when you prep for their tire coating and not when you maintain it. Actually when I have the Tac System Tire Coat and maintain it the prewash foam and PW clean rinsing it off is enough for me to clean the tires. Then I use the Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus to do the maintance of the rims. Every 2-3 wash I use a brush otherwise it`s touchless. You have got the new version of Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus which here in Sweden is called Max Effect. The strength in the iron remover has upped a lot in this new version for you and can recommend it if you want to do touchless wheel cleaning. So a soft brush for maintance washes or a mf towel or a dedicated wash mitt. The reason I use different kind of equipment on the wheels is that it`s different kind of dirt on the rims and the tires and don`t want any cross contamintation. Remember it`s a personal preference and not a bible on how to do it LOL.

The X-traFluff Wash Mitt I think works great for me on the glass. And I have not seen any extra wear on them that you can get with the chenille ones and they starts to lint. Also to get the glass more gentle on the wash media. I use a SiO2 based product on the side windows and dedicated on the windshield and the back window as it has a wiper there. This makes the glass way less grabby and mf material it`s usually very aggressive on to pull the strands out. If I where not to have a glass sealant of some kind I would skip the contact wash on them. And use dedicated glass mf towels and glass cleaner after the wash.

I would get 2-3 mf wash pads or wash mitts. So you have enough of them if you plan on not reload them with car soap solution. And you can use the chenille mitts on the side panels and on the lower parts. This is if it where me. As accumulator use to write it`s easy to spend others money LOL. And don`t forget to have a very good car soap as that does a lot with the aid to clean the vehical. Also that it has great lubrication from it so it almost feels like your wash media glides over the car soap solution than on the paint. If you have a coating or a long lasting SiO2 based sealant. Get you a small bottle of Carpro Reset car soap and I promise you will not look back for another one. Dilute it thoroughly and if something weaker than the recommended 1:500 and it`s amazing car soap.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I bet you guys who`re using MF on wheels are working on vehicles that are cleaner than mine! And no matter what, I *always* have to do a final follow-up with swabs. No matter how meticulous I am, I`ve never gone around all the lugs/valvestems/etc. with swabs without getting *some* additional dirt off.

SWETM brought up a great point with his "..[oughta feel like]..your wash media glides over the car soap solution..[rather than].. than on the paint." That`s how it should be, gotta avoid "scrubbing". Assume the dirt is abrasive; it must not be moved across the paint under pressure...it`s like when dirt gets in your eye (I often compare autopaint to the surface of an eyeball...assume it`s just as sensitive).

Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

[Regulars here know that I never move Wash Media across my paint without spraying foamgun output at the point of Wash Medium-to-paint contact. That`s the only way I can wash marring-free.]

- As noted, separate wash media for wheels. I go so far as separate wash/rinse buckets (and redundant systems- one on each side of washbay)
    - I use the same shampoo dilution for wheels/wells/undercarriage as I use in the foamguns (~7 oz. shampoo + ~121 oz. water = gallon of concentrate)
    - I like cotton for glass as it`s more aggressive, but I get the "big stuff" off with BHBs and the wash mitts first
    - I *always* fill my Wash Mitts with shampoo solution even though I`m always spraying foamgun output at the point of mitt-to-paint contact. I hold them shut at the cuff *NEVER* wearing them like a glove and gently whisk them across the panel, rinsing/refilling them as needed
    - I`m just as careful with the lower portions as I am with the hood, which means I usually have to go over those many times to get them truly clean
    - Good shampoos don`t have much (if any) negative affect on LSPs and good LSPs are resistant to shampoos and shed dirt readily
    - IMO you oughta have spares/backups for all Wash Media, just because [things] happen
    - If/when I find TAR/etc. I just leave it alone and deal with it later, gotta resist the temptation to scrub with the wash medium let alone pick at it with a fingernail

And, critically...

- NEVER move the Wash Medium across the panel in long, continuous, sweeping motions! When (not "if") you do get a speck of abrasive dirt caught between the medium and the paint and it causes some marring, you want those scratches to be short little things, NOT some long scratch that`s oh-so-obvious. And straight scratches are less obvious than circular ones because of the more limited optimal viewing angle (every flaws has one of those and you want to minimize it so it`s not obvious from *every* viewing angle the way a 360° scratch is).

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think enough people are trying the shooting the foam gun spray continuously over the paint while washing thing. I did and it forever changed my way of washing. I think if folks would try it, it would change them too.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I don’t think enough people are trying the shooting the foam gun spray continuously over the paint while washing thing. I did and it forever changed my way of washing. I think if folks would try it, it would change them too.
    I`ll be the first to admit that it`s pretty labor-and-product-and-attention-intensive. And it must`ve taken me over three dozen washes before I started to feel dialed-in (note that I`m no slow-learner either ).

Move BHB/mitt in just the right way, under just the right degree of pressure, while spraying the foamgun output at just the right spot..NO IT`S NOT EASY. If somebody`s repolishing annually/replacing vehicles every few years...well, pick your battles. But it`s *NOT* as if "every car gets marred up and needs repolished every few years", not necessarily at least. Wash it right and don`t touch the paint between washes...easy basic concept, hard practical execution...like so many things in life.

And/but...I honestly don`t believe that I could keep my vehicles (my version of) decent without my shop facilities, and I fully recognize that many/most just don`t have such things available. Ditto for my level of concern; not like everybody oughta care about [whatever] just because I do As I like to say.."Life isn`t a car show" even if I do try to treat my beaters like concours contenders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I wash them after every wash.
    what he said

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Hey, a Q comes to mind: How often do *you* wash your Wash Mitts? I`m thinking how you use my Wash Technique, but without the free-rinsing BHB step...wondering how contaminated your mitts get even though your cars don`t get that dirty.

IIRC, I`ve washed my Sheepskin Mitts twice this year, both times ones that fell on the floor (and were immediately retired for the remainder of that wash).

Post Thanks / Like

I use sheepskin mitts at present too and I would say I wash them at every other wash. That is when a proper wash is necessary and in just not foaming up the car with the foam gun and rinsing.

I use older,more worn mitts for wheel duty and don’t wash them at all. I just chuck them once they get grimy enough

I usually dry my mitts inside out in the dryer and that has been getting them fully dry and conserving the sheepskin itself

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Gee, I`m kinda surprised (but pleasantly so!) that you don`t wash `em every time.

EDIT: which in your case I`d consider unnecessary.

I *very* seldom wash the mitts I use on the wheels/wells/etc. either. But again, all the big stuff is (hopefully!) removed via other means first.

Huh, I`ve always been leery of putting mine in the dryer, I just hang `em up to dry. Which is more than I do after a normal use as I just hang them over the edge of the buckets or maybe put them on the handles of my longer BHBs.

Post Thanks / Like

I find they just take too long to dry if I don’t put them in the dryer for at least a little while but I guess YMMV

Post Thanks / Like

I find they just take too long to dry if I don’t put them in the dryer for at least a little while but I guess YMMV
    Well, mine probably take *days* to dry, don`t even know for sure! But they`ve somehow never gotten nasty as a result. I suppose the dehumidifier helps..

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if I let mine air dry they’d take days too. I have to dry them quickly in order to put them back in their plastic bin lest they get moldy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if I let mine air dry they’d take days too. I have to dry them quickly in order to put them back in their plastic bin lest they get moldy.
    Ah, OK...I see you store your properly, unlike Yours Truly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information