Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! Wax? Build up on jeep steel bumpers

Easy to grasp if one understands the difference between a "dressing" and a true "coating".
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

I’d recommend a little more aggressive brush if tooth brush doesn’t work.... that keep trim can be stubborn

These from mothers are pretty cheap and worked well with the black fire wax remover....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of using Solutions Finish on powder coated metal. I always thought SF was only for plastics. Good to know!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Easy to grasp if one understands the difference between a "dressing" and a true "coating".
    The only "Dressing" I`ve used on the exterior since..I dunno, early `80s maybe..is Autoglym Bumper Care on the Tahoe`s utterly trashed running boards (especially the metal parts that simply need refinished).

Q: Is the Solutions Finish tolerant of imperfect surfaces/prep? The reason I use the Bumper Care is that it "evens out" the areas that are still black with the rest of the surfaces that are in really bad condition in a way that nothing else ever has, but I dislike having to redo them at every wash (it`s not some quick half-hour job to do them right).

Q#2: How can you clean the Solutions Finish off if its results aren`t pleasing? Does it wipe off with something like New Car Prep or 3M Adhesive Remover?

I probably have enough Bumper Care and UTTG+ to last this lifetime, but ya never know...

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000
    I never thought of using Solutions Finish on powder coated metal. I always thought SF was only for plastics. Good to know!
    FWIW, the Ultima TTG+ works well on that too. I`m using it on wiper arms, underhood black-finished metal, you name it...pretty much any black surface on the `93 Audi and the Crown Vic (and I`ll probably do the others with it too). Utterly forgiving of prep/application/etc. at least if things aren`t as bad as those Tahoe running boards. Lasts for ages, easy to maintain with a SprayWax as the Drying Aid.

Now if the Solutions Finish is as easy, and works as well on imperfect surfaces, and lasts longer, well that`d really be something!

Post Thanks / Like

It is NOT a dressing so not easy to wipe off. I suggest one follows the same process as a bodyshop does for painting. Think base/clear. Clean, apply by directions, then when dry, apply a coat or two of WipeNew and no worries for a couple of years. The company also has a gray, and you can tint it using the black to obtain the shade required.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I learned it by accident. Trying to apply SF to the windshield cowl. It can be next to impossible not getting any on the wiper arms on some cars. When I wiped it off I thought that it looked pretty good with a nice matte to satin finish on the powder coat. So I did the entire wiper arm. I think it looks better than my attempts to use a polish or paint cleanser on the powder coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Ketcham- Ah, OK..now I get it Thanks for the further explanation. IF I ever use up my current stuff I oughta look into that.

DBAILEY- Yeah, it *IS* a PIA to keep the Cowl Stuff off the wiper arms and vice-versa, even with an assortment of applicators/etc. Using the same stuff for both makes the whole thing a lot easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information