Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Old glass cleaning trick - revisited

With the weather turning to crap, I`ve been watching You Tube detailers so I can maybe learn new things, get a refresher on techniques I haven`t used in a while, etc.

I searched "Glass Cleaning" and two different You Tubers both recommended the same basic process for glass, using the same products to basically `deep clean` the glass or to clean a really dirty window.

It`s really simple and it`s something we should already be familiar with. A 50-50 IPA/water mix, a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and some absorbent microfiber towels. I did this to both my Camaro (in which I deal with cigarette smoke) and My wife`s Explorer (which is coated in dog slobber) and the results were no less than perfect.

Like I said, real simple, dampen the Magic Eraser and lightly wring it out. Spray the 50-50 IPA on the glass (no need to be stingy, use as much as you feel you need, more if the windows are really dirty), wipe down the glass with the Magic Eraser, rubbing the glass like you are working in a polish on the paint. Then take the first of 2 cloths and lightly mop up the excess IPA. Take your second towel and buff the glass, Done!

Like I mentioned, the interior glass on both cars turned out great. One of the You Tubers then recommends using Meguiar`s Synthetic Spray Wax to protect the glass and to make subsequent cleanings easier since the grime won`t stick to the Meg`s as well as it would to bare glass. I ran out of light yesterday just cleaning the glass on both cars and I don`t happen to have the Synthetic Spray wax, so that part wasn`t done. But when I get a chance, I might try using TW ICE Spray Detailer that I do have on hand to see how that works.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old glass cleaning trick - revisited

Hopefully this technique will work on constantly hazy glass l do battle with. Thanks for the tip.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Hopefully this technique will work on constantly hazy glass l do battle with. Thanks for the tip.
    The "trick" I picked up on my own is to make sure you use enough IPA that it doesn`t dry too fast on its own. You want the glass to stay wet until YOU dry it off with the 1st microfiber, that minimizes or even eliminates streaking.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I’ll be sure to use plenty of IPA

Post Thanks / Like

IME the Meguiar`s UQW/D156 Spray Wax (and also OCW for that matter) is *NOT* something to deliberately get on glass, but rather something to clean *off* the glass if it somehow gets on there. I use it on the rubber seals around my sideglass, so this is something I deal with at every wash.

Don- With so many people struggling with their autoglass, I`m glad you found an approach that works for you..and maybe it`ll be just the ticket for somebody else.

Post Thanks / Like

I may just try this out before my trip tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. I use zep cloths on my car once a month and that’s all I need when maintained. Gonna do my mothers car and her car may need more help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is what most glass cleaners is made of these days in IPA as it`s main chemical ingridient. Use destilled water to get the most out of it and don`t get any minerals to fight with LOL. You can blend in some ethanol that`s also used in glass cleaners. And to get a better wetting effect 2 drops of your dish soap of choice

Post Thanks / Like

Id worry about the IPA drying out my interior plastics. So be careful if you use this just incase
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We seem to "revisit" this window cleaning detailing task on a regular basis in this forum, almost as much as "which way is the best way to clean leather?" topic.
    If someone could post a "secret" recipe for a great homemade window cleaning solution, I would be thankful. I am sure an internet search would yield such solutions, but I would rather has some fellow Autopian post their own "special" concoction or at least formula mixture that they have used from the internet.

Most window cleaning companies mix their own "secret" formulas and it may vary on the temperature and humidity. I do know that when ambient temps drop below 25°F, many resort to adding automotive windshield wash solution to the mix. I asked this of one cleaner on a colder December day HOW they were able to wash exterior windows in sub-freezing temps and this is one thing he said they add to their solution. The other was very hot distilled water taken from Thermos-type jugs to keep the water hot. Go figure!

Here`s a thread on window cleaners:
    Best glass cleaner?

I also know that the type and quality of your microfiber cloth will impact how well a window is cleaned. That, too, is another part of how to clean get vehicle windows REALLY clean, and again there are a plethora of window-cleaning-specific microfiber choices out there.
    One was already mentioned and that is the Zep Clothes, which seems to be getting ALOT of attention.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I had megs concentrate glass cleaner I mix up but lately been using that as prep spray and using ONR for glass cleaning and ONR to clean glass is more user friendly

Post Thanks / Like

I`m always surprised when people get good results on glass with RW..neither my ONR or IUDJ leave glass as nice as my Glass Cleaners, despite mixing my RW with Distilled Water and keeping all the pertinent variables the same. Sure not knocking it, just surprised.

Cold weather is a good time to use Zep40 if you can stand the aerosol delivery system (which I do utterly despise). They even call it their "Cold Weather Formula" on some cans and the other cans mention cold weather use on the back. Still the best I`ve ever tried for salt/etc. residue in the winter (and dog slobber too).

I gather the people who find glass challenging are the Pros who have to do neglected/abused vehicles, right? Otherwise I`d think that once you get it clean it`s easy enough to keep it that way, dogs notwithstanding. It sure can be time-consuming, but eh...so is a lot of this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

It is interesting. I`ll stick to my 3M with newspaper trick, except on interior tinted windows I use 3M and microfiber. I certainly wouldn`t use a MagicClean eraser (although it does have it`s uses in detailing) on tinted windows. I can only wonder if it would scratch them.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone would like to try out a potent glass cleaner in RTU I can recommend the Angelwax Vision glass cleaner. I always wait too long in between the deep cleaning. Vision glass cleaner has something in it and it`s not ammonia or the alcohol smell but a strange one in between. I use it only on the outside windows. And man do it clean well. But be aware if you have trouble with nasty smells as I don`t like this. Still when I have a really dirty windshield I reach for this glass cleaner. Bought some prep wipes that Aquapel has as recommendation to use before you apply their sealant. The smell reminds of AW Vision from those glass prep wipes. A little goes a long way too and they have those smaller spray heads on the bottles. Wondering if it`s bytyl glycol ether that I usually sees in the SDS of great glass cleaners that it has a large amount of in it. Otherwise Sonax Glass Cleaner is awesome too and I use on the inside of the windows. Great if you are a smoker too.

Post Thanks / Like

Newspapers worked a *LOT* better (if messier) for this back when they were still made/printed the old-fashioned way.

And IME aftermarket tint can be *VERY* fragile..both with regard to abrasion and with chemicals. Zep40 will utterly destroy some Window Tint Films (ask how I know ) and Magic Erasers, even the "gentle" ones, have damaged (test) surfaces that I`d consider at least as tough as aftermarket Tint...even very soft *cotton* can damage some of them just as it does autopaint and other surfaces; cotton is a lot softer than any Magic Eraser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information