Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for Detailing and Cleaning Brushes

Yes, I know that wheel cleaning pads/sponges kind of blur the line/definition of cleaning brushes, BUT they are an important part of the cleaning process, so "Thanks" for including them in this list. I used to have a small grey triangular pad that was a microfiber on one side and a smooth nylon mesh on the other with finger pockets on both sides. It finally wore out completely after 9 years of hard use. I think that one used to be sold by the now out-of-business Top of the Line Detailing Supply. Mine came from Target, of all places from former Autopian contributor Scottwax`s suggestion. I have found a replacement called The AutoSpa Tight Spot Mitt made by Hopkins Manufacturing Corp. in Carson, CA (Yes, I saved the packaging tag just for this purpose; No, I do not post pictures; Sorry!) BUT it is a little too large for its intended purpose of rim spoke and barrel cleaning in my estimation. It is still a good "replacement".

To Mean Green:
    WOW!! 35 different brushes. My 10 or so brushes pale in comparison and when non-detailing individuals see my collection, they think WHY do you have so many different brushes? Like good hand and power tools, "there is the right (special) tool for every job".

I will ask this question about pet hair brushes compared to specialized pet hair removal pumice stones and if any Autopian has a preference or comparison to make. I`ve used a hand-worn textured Playtex(Yes, it must be Playtex brand due to there proprietary rubber composition) rubber glove to accomplish this task or a small tampico-bristled (think stiff natural fiber,like Agave stalks, but not animal hair) brush. I dislike sticky tape rollers, but it does work on small hairs, but not so well on long embedded hairs in fabrics or carpets. I end up pulling those out with a tweezers (Yes, OCD`ing at work!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

To Mean Green:
    WOW!! 35 different brushes. My 10 or so brushes pale in comparison and when non-detailing individuals see my collection, they think WHY do you have so many different brushes? Like good hand and power tools, "there is the right (special) tool for every job".

25 different types, 35 brushes in total, so the extra ten being multiples. Owning multiples may be a little nuts, but what happens when you`re in the middle of a detail and the brush that you are using fails? #alwayshaveabackup

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lloydrm View Post
    If anyone wants to share where I can find Vikan’s angled brushes, I’d appreciate it. Thabks.
    I`d be interested too. I googled this brand today and they seems to have a lot of nice brushes.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    25 different types, 35 brushes in total, so the extra ten being multiples. Owning multiples may be a little nuts, but what happens when you`re in the middle of a detail and the brush that you are using fails? #alwayshaveabackup
    That that that!!

As [an instructor] once told my wife and me, ""Two is one, and one is none", if you only have one, you really have *NONE*" because [crap] happens". (I bet many veterans here have heard the exact same lecture from the exact same kind of guy )

If it`s anything mission critical, have a backup. And specific to Detailing stuff, things come and go from the market, and you never know when something *you* rely on will become unavailable.

Post Thanks / Like

I do think that there are brush manufacturers out there who make brushes for purposes other than detailing, like art painting brushes, that could (and are) "re-purposed" for detailing. Good example is an IBM computer cleaning brush that an IBM tech left behind for cleaning main frame computer cooling fins that my wife brought home when she worked in an Information Technology Department (then Data Processing, or DP). Looked like a long handled artist paint brush and I used it once to clean dog hair from a dash board next to a steep sloping windshield in a van. There was no other way to extract and remove that hair, as the vacuum cleaner nozzle was just too wide to get into that area. Like the saying goes, "The right (re-purposed) tool for every job."

I do wish E-Z Detail made more styles of brushes, like tooth brush-like brushes or parts cleaning brushes. Their unique bristle material is stiff enough to not bend easily, but soft enough not to scratch (somewhat!). I would use them on engine compartments or in interiors. Guess that there are enough brushes made by others to meet those cleaning tasks, so why re-invent the wheel if that market is already filled.

I also see the need to have back-up brushes, especially if you use them a lot AND they are one of those "can`t-be-without" favorites that are just that: indispensable. I have old tooth brushes that have stiff nylon bristles that I use for cleaning edges of carpets and foot peddle pads (clutch-brake-accelerator). I have broken the handle on some of them at the most inopportune time (like on a mobile detail many miles from home), and not having an extra one around (or a suitable substitute!) at the time can put a real cramper on completing a detailing "properly".
    GB detailer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information