Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going to a Detailer

Quote Originally Posted by evan631 View Post
    Thanks Dan! I will look into the IW845....i believe you speaking of the collinite 845...IW= insulator wax??? If so i used to use it along with the Klasse twins.
    Yes. It`s still one of the longest lasting and easiest to use products out there. A bottle lasts forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Hey, my first new car was a `77 T/A..black of course
    Well, there`s a piece of Autopia trivia! I`ll remember when they put me in charge of the trivia contest.

I wouldn`t have pegged you for that...but hey, I guess it was high school, or thereabouts. 400TA/4-speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Nah, sigh... 403/auto. Hey, I was a kid and it was a HS graduation present (yeah, quite a biggie...I graduated early and killed the SAT, so maybe that was it) so I wasn`t gonna be picky and I didn`t learn a stick until I was older. It *was* a really cool thing to get at the time. Dumb thing to give a kid like me in hindsight, but eh...live to tell and all that.
    Likes jersey_john liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will continue to look. Keep you posted!
    I`ll be looking forward to hearing what you end up doing, and I have my fingers crossed that it`ll turn out great.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Nah, sigh... 403/auto
    I think it was just `77 & `78 that the T/A engine that was 220HP IIRC was available. In `78 they may have already been calling it the 6.6 T/A, but by `79 with the droop snoot it was the 403 with less HP and I think auto only (there may have been a few early 79`s with the 400). I`m sure F-body experts will correct me. I just remember C/D considering that car with the WS6 to be one of the best performance cars of the time (handling/power). Funny how the lens of 40 years makes that look.

EDIT: I just looked it up-- `78 was the only year for the 220HP, although they stockpiled some engines that were used in `79 models (4-spd only).

EDIT EDIT: As usual, my memory fails me...I think this was the article I must have been thinking about where they call the T/A the best handling American car: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...hived-feature/ , although there is no mention of the WS6 suspension, so I dunno. And Pontiac supplied a 302 which was lighter.

Dumb thing to give a kid like me in hindsight, but eh...live to tell and all that.
    Yeah, sometimes I marvel at still being alive and not having gone to jail with some of the things we all did (speaking for myself and people I knew).

Post Thanks / Like

$65 for a wash clay and carnauba wax means this job is getting rushed. 95% of car owners see it as great value because it looks better than the $5 swirl o matic, hence the good reviews. You come off as one of the 5% who care about the details. Id actually be turned away by the price alone. And trying to sell a carnauba wax as something that will get you through the winter is just ignorance. As stated earlier. You`re lucky to get a few weeks out of a natural wax, especially on a daily driver outside 24/7.

I really hate how detailing gets defined so loosely. "What do you mean that will cost $150? The other place I called said they will do it for $50!" Ok, go with them. Ill find clients who respect my level of work and attention to detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Eh, they called the 403 Olds setup a "6.6" too At least mine did have the WS6, and suspension parts from Herb Adams VSE made it even better

And "yeah" on the still alive and not incarcerated...I get lots of "hey, wow, you`re still ALIVE?!?" from people who knew me when Never even taken into custody, although I sure lost my license for a long, long time...
    Likes jersey_john liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Eh, they called the 403 Olds setup a "6.6" too
    That was quite the bait-and-switch. One of my favorite finds in the GM dealer brochure rack was the plain-paper single sheet list of the engines used in that year`s models, with the RPO, all the HP and torque specs, and the division that built the engine (this was after the lawsuit with the Olds engines in the Cadillacs), since none of that info was in the glossy brochures.

I remember out-driving someone who had a `79 T/A with that 403/auto setup, in my 2-bbl sedan. He was chagrined; for me it was knowing the limits of the car and being willing to take it there, and him not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That was quite the bait-and-switch..
    The salesman tried to say the "T/A" after the *real* "6.6L" meant "transaxle" and didn`t appreciate my 17YO self calling him on it

I remember out-driving someone who had a `79 T/A with that 403/auto setup, in my 2-bbl sedan. He was chagrined; for me it was knowing the limits of the car and being willing to take it there, and him not.
    Driver > vehicle every time. Though T/As with the WS6 were awfully easy to drive well as long as you didn`t, uhm...do something really stupid The car that really schooled me one time was a 280Z, that guy knew what he was doing and had the right car for it, left me in my T/A for dead like it was nothing at all.

evan631- Heh heh, see what happens when threads touch on certain topics?!? Sorry to `jack your thread

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say that is rather cheap for your market area. I agree with many of the comments listed. It is nice that he didn`t try to "up sell" you something from a consumer standpoint. I am honest with my clients who come in asking for one thing (an interior shampoo for example) and after looking at the interior, it doesn`t need that and I explain that to them. Not the greatest marketing direction, but I don`t want my clients to waste money where it doesn`t need to be wasted.

Now, back to the protection. I agree that a wax will not get you through winter, nor would it have the durability to stand off to the road salt, brine, etc. I very rarely get requests for a "wax" on daily drivers. Most clients are concerned about protection followed by looks. With that said, I agree as well that you should be looking to a good sealant which will get you through the winter while withstanding salt, brine, etc. and should last (depending on the sealant) anywhere between 9-12 months. Of course, with a brand new vehicle, you wouldn`t go wrong with a ceramic coating, either.

Agreeing with Accumulator as well that regular thorough maintenance washes to keep the salt and brine out of the cracks and crevices is a good practice to get into.

Lastly, given the comments of the detailer that you had talked to, I would stay away from letting him clay it without following it up with a light polish. I`d like to see if he is using clean clay or used clay (only because of his price and the cost of clay). If it`s used, it`s contaminated and could cause scratches in the paint. Just some food for thought.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like

The car that really schooled me one time was a 280Z, that guy knew what he was doing and had the right car for it, left me in my T/A for dead like it was nothing at all.
    For me it was a Fiat 131 (I guess with some Abarth parts), the guy played with me for a while, then gave me a thumbs up with his driving-gloved hand, downshifted and disappeared.

evan631- Heh heh, see what happens when threads touch on certain topics?!? Sorry to `jack your thread
    Yeah, sorry about that...if Accumulator and I have any more hyperventilating to do about our youth we`ll take it to PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator...No worries on the threadjacking. It happens!

BTW...still have not found a detailer to go to. I`ve done searches online, but just not finding the reviews. I might just have to go to a bunch of them and see what they are about.
    Thanks

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator...No worries on the threadjacking. It happens!
    Especially with me on a thread But thanks for posting that.

BTW...still have not found a detailer to go to. I`ve done searches online, but just not finding the reviews. I might just have to go to a bunch of them and see what they are about.
    I *SO* sympathize with you! Man, if I had to farm out my Detailing I don`t know what I`d do and that`s despite knowing, uhm....what to watch out for.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I`m always here if your willing to make the trip! I`m in Northport btw.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Just getting back on here after a while, very unfortunate circumstances.

I live in Manhattan and drive in Northeast and eastern Canada year round, up in the mountains, XC skiing. I am a longtime FK 1000P user, last through the winter from October through May when properly applied, Accumulator`s guidance is excellent, see his posts on how to apply. I don`t know what you are doing this spring and summer, but if you get a coat of 1000P on now, another in August, another in October, you will be set for the winter event if you aren`t able to rinse it from time to time. between 1000P layers I sometimes use FK 425 as a topper. The carnaubas look nice but in our climate here, durable sealant is the way to go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information