Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simple care maintenance and protection

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I question whether or not the concentration of OCW is high enough to cause any problems. Quick question, do you think FK will bond to DG #601?
    Yeah, the whole "contains carnauba!" thing spikes my cynicism meter Might be a trace amount that means nothing functionally-speaking.

Noting that I`ve never used DG#601, I`d be *astounded* if it doesn`t work fine as a base for FK1000P. Just let it "cure" or whatever it does first, like...apply the FK after a day or so (not that I think there`s anything magical about a 24hr wait-time, IMO probably just a convenient rule-of-thumb that people take too seriously). IF/when you try it, I hope you post back, maybe on the big FK1000P thread (forget the actual title ).

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t forget to clay it
    Like somebody on here said 90% of detailing is cleaning the paint
    The cleaner the paint is the better your lsp will adhere to it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    ..Like somebody on here said 90% of detailing is cleaning the paint..
    I didn`t see that, which probably saved some bandwidth as I`d take issue with it, at least without some kind of YMMV disclaimer, as it has not been my experience.

Don’t forget to clay it
    The cleaner the paint is the better your lsp will adhere to it
    Not to be argumentative, but IME that`s not always true.

For ages I used something like Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion/etc. before rewaxing. And when Clay came out I jumped on that bandwagon in a huge way (never really jumped all the way off either ). But in hindsight, a whole lot of that prep work was undoubtedly unnecessary.

Now-a-days, I hardly *EVER* do any paint-cleaning/claying/etc. other then the quickie spot-claying when I wash (just obvious stuff that I notice didn`t come off with the regular washing). Like...I`ll reapply my LSPs for *years* without doing any prep at all and it works fine; just consider how my FK1000p durability claims sound so impossibly great!

I`ve simply never discerned any durability diffs related to this, not once, and figured it was basically an Urban Legend based on extreme cases. It was exactly the same as those claims that "regular MF pulls the LSP off your paint when buffing, so you need to use a special kind that`s made for LSPing". Interesting arguments that lead to some kinda-interesting experiments, and/but the results were pretty conclusive *for me under my conditions*.

Sure, if the vehicle is genuinely contaminated/neglected/etc. that`s different. And some LSPs die cleaner than others (IME you do need to paint-clean now and then with Souveran, it does *not* always die cleanly). But gee, I let our vehicles get *filthy* between washes; everything just washes right off and the paint is nice and clean (enough) without any of the "mandatory" (scare-quotes intentional ) claying/etc.

IMO the whole "you gotta clay/paint-clean/etc. before LSPing!" is mostly just a ploy to sell clay and PaintCleaners. If it were *really* mandatory I would`ve noticed by now.

Heh heh, I`d say that if the paint doesn`t come clean with regular washing, the problem is probably with either the LSP or the wash.

I also think that part of it might be people waiting until the LSP is really *dead* before reapplying, or otherwise letting contamination build up to where it`s an issue. IME while a LSP is still OK it`ll shed dirt well enough that you can just do another coat after a regular wash.

But OK, YMMV and all that, just trying to save people unnecessary work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information