Post Thanks / Like

Matte Black on Jeep Hood?

Neighbor came by, wanted something to protect for upcoming winter. I`m not wanting to have much to do with it, was just gonna give him some CanCoat or FK1000P and let him have at it...until I noticed the hood and the matte black insert. Thought CanCoat would be nice cuz it`s so easy and could do plastic trim as well but what to use on matte black has me a bit flummoxed. Won`t be polishing or anything like that, was gonna give him some CarPro Eraser for wipedown, then point him to a CanCoat vid, sit back and see how it all turns out.

Open to suggestions as to what he can use, preferably one product but dunno if possible cuz of that silly matte section on hood. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!

Matte Black on Jeep Hood?-jeep.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matte Black on Jeep Hood?

I have that same Jeep. I coated the decal with the same paint coating. Trick here is to use a little big more product because you want the whole matte decal wet together and you want to wipe it off wet to avoid any demarcation lines.

I maintain that with a dr Beasley matte product. I’ll look for the name tonight.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Neighbor came by, wanted something to protect for upcoming winter. I`m not wanting to have much to do with it, was just gonna give him some CanCoat or FK1000P and let him have at it...until I noticed the hood and the matte black insert. Thought CanCoat would be nice cuz it`s so easy and could do plastic trim as well but what to use on matte black has me a bit flummoxed. Won`t be polishing or anything like that, was gonna give him some CarPro Eraser for wipedown, then point him to a CanCoat vid, sit back and see how it all turns out.

Open to suggestions as to what he can use, preferably one product but dunno if possible cuz of that silly matte section on hood. Anyone got any suggestions?

Jade A70 Ceramic Coating Spray. Very easy to use, works great on all surfaces and will easily give him 12 months of excellent protection.

Thanks!

Matte Black on Jeep Hood?-jeep.jpg

Jade A70 Ceramic Coating Spray. Very easy to use, works great on all surfaces and will easily give him 12 months of excellent protection.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like

You are going to have to check with Gyeon on CanCoat on a matte surface. It may leave an unwanted sheen.

You could always coat it for him with one of the many products you have. Such as SPS which states it can be used on matte surfaces.

If you just want to suggest a product to him McKee`s 37 offers this https://www.autopia-carcare.com/m37-...l#.XZtbE0ZKiUk

Dr. Beasley`s has their paint coating but for such a small area it may not be worth the purchase. Same goes for the other matte type coatings.

What else do you have in your arsenal?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

BP- I have a matte black on my C6 ( not overlamed ) faded and now cracked after 4 or so years. I did CC on it 6-8 wks ago. Ever so slight the shine but that died down after a week. Except for the crack`s -it look as fresh as new. Bead real nicely as well. She site outside in the street 24/7

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You are going to have to check with Gyeon on CanCoat on a matte surface. It may leave an unwanted sheen.

You could always coat it for him with one of the many products you have. Such as SPS which states it can be used on matte surfaces.
    First thought was to give him TAC Moonlight but apparently I sent that off to someone

I just wanted to throw something simple at him (suggestion or actual product from my shelf) but all I really have is some coatings...and I don`t really wanna be involved in doing it no matter what it is; all I`m doing is offering product suggestions if I have nothing on my shelf (which apparently I don`t...finally)

If you just want to suggest a product to him McKee`s 37 offers this https://www.autopia-carcare.com/m37-...l#.XZtbE0ZKiUk

Dr. Beasley`s has their paint coating but for such a small area it may not be worth the purchase. Same goes for the other matte type coatings.

What else do you have in your arsenal?
    Have a tub of FK1000P at work, maybe suggest that and tell him to avoid the matte unless he wants to buy something for it specifically. I think I`ll contact Jeff @ Gyeon and see what he says...thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like Jeff answered your question. CanCoat seems to be a go.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Seems like Jeff answered your question. CanCoat seems to be a go.
    Yup, thanks for the suggestion...guess we`ll see how a total detailing neophyte does when ya throw `em some CanCoat, a couple of microfibers and a bottle of Eraser!
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Beasley’s Matte Coating would work very well, used it on this project almost a year ago, almost the entire cars is matte painted except the center racing stripe, BTW is water activated for application, use distilled water

Matte Black on Jeep Hood?-86853361-256a-4dff-a7c7-0f6e4e568513.jpeg
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Dr Beasley’s Matte Coating would work very well, used it on this project almost a year ago, almost the entire cars is matte painted except the center racing stripe, BTW is water activated for application, use distilled water

Matte Black on Jeep Hood?-86853361-256a-4dff-a7c7-0f6e4e568513.jpeg
    If I was doing it, that`s be how I`d go cuz I`ve never dealt with a matte section. I`m just providing a suggestion to neighbor and gonna watch how it goes. Should be interesting!

I`ll likely be around when he does it so should be OK, just don`t wanna get too involved in a project right now.

Figure he`ll wash, wipe down with Eraser, hit with CanCoat and be happy as can be. Just an occasional shelf-waxer so CanCoat should be an easy step up. Could see that blue paint getting easily marred with clay, so skipping that. No Iron-X or such, will give him Tarminator I have sitting around if he needs it but that`ll be about it.

Always thought CanCoat would be a great off the shelf item for casual user...guess we`ll see.

Or could suggest off the shelf Turtle Wax Seal n Shine or whatever it is that`s getting good reviews. Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    If I was doing it, that`s be how I`d go cuz I`ve never dealt with a matte section. I`m just providing a suggestion to neighbor and gonna watch how it goes. Should be interesting!

I`ll likely be around when he does it so should be OK, just don`t wanna get too involved in a project right now.

Figure he`ll wash, wipe down with Eraser, hit with CanCoat and be happy as can be. Just an occasional shelf-waxer so CanCoat should be an easy step up. Could see that blue paint getting easily marred with clay, so skipping that. No Iron-X or such, will give him Tarminator I have sitting around if he needs it but that`ll be about it.

Always thought CanCoat would be a great off the shelf item for casual user...guess we`ll see.

Or could suggest off the shelf Turtle Wax Seal n Shine or whatever it is that`s getting good reviews. Hmmm...
    No no can coat is probably better never done a head to head but I would take it over the TW any day and I love that TW

The draw of it is the $ for what you are getting

If can coat was 10 or less bucks a bottle I would have a case in the garage or basement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    No no can coat is probably better never done a head to head but I would take it over the TW any day and I love that TW

The draw of it is the $ for what you are getting

If can coat was 10 or less bucks a bottle I would have a case in the garage or basement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would too but we`ll see how your `average Joe` feels about $50 for a car care product (CanCoat)...while I have no issue w the price, folks who aren`t into this stuff might find in nutty. I remember the Zaino years where I`d buy the kit each Spring for around $110 and couldn`t believe I was spending that much for car care. My credit card misses the `old` days

Post Thanks / Like

And FWIW, Gyeon Reply to inquiry:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff at Gyeon View Post
    Hello!

Yes I am alive!

CanCoat will be fine over the vinyl. It will "richen" the black just a bit but will not add any gloss or sheen. Apply as you would the paint, maybe just slightly heavier to make sure we get good absorption and then wipe off excess immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Very overcast today and hard to get a good pic. I`m thinking this is closer to 8 wks than 6. No before pics but it was very chalky and mottled before. This it`s last hurrah as I will tear off and redo over X mas.

Matte Black on Jeep Hood?-20191008_101518.jpg

Matte Black on Jeep Hood?-20191008_101525.jpg
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Thread Information