Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Supplies Am I Missing?

Too many different products! Chemical wise I’d stick with one brand and make things simpler. And cheaper. Invest in a better machine and pads .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Too many different products! Chemical wise I’d stick with one brand and make things simpler. And cheaper. Invest in a better machine and pads .
    Is sticking with one brand really cheaper? No, not within a set criteria. It may make things simpler but only in certain circumstances. For example, when it comes to polishing pads, machine, and certain polishing liquids, yes sticking to one brand may be cheaper. However, when it comes to chemicals that are outside the realm polishing, there are far better values than sticking to one brand.

Post Thanks / Like

I respect your opinion, but disagree.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, some people will find everything the want with one source, others (myself included) simply don`t. I do question whether there`s any appreciable cost diff, but that`s gonna boil down to what products, when you order `em, and all sorts of other (genuinely) subjective factors.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyyDetail View Post
    The long handle brush I usually use for cleaning up under the fenderwells.
    If you know from experience that that`s your preference, then OK I sure won`t argue. But, noting that I`m an absolute fanatic about my wells/undercarriage/etc., I *NEVER* use any of my numerous long-handled brushes on wheelwells, not ever. Not even on the Tahoe.

What exactly is IUDJ im not familiar with what product that acronym stands for. I can totally see why I might not need the FK425 with optimum spray wax...
    Sorry, didn`t mean to be inscrutable IUDJ = Garry Dean`s Ultimate Use Detail Juice, a Rinseless Wash product that I like far more than I ever expected to (to put it mildly!). I was utterly astounded how much I like the stuff and now I have to remind myself to use up may many QDs because I just automatically reach for the IUDJ instead. It`s not *quite* FK425 in the looks/etc. dept. and no it`s not a SprayWax, but it does invite that kind of comparison.

I just figured I`d throw the IUDJ into the discussion since I was always (hey..still am) a huge fan of FK425 (and even like their FK146) and some other QDs and never imagined that the IUDJ could compare.

I know back a few years ago some mentioned 303 as being a good product if living in a hotter climate, im in Georgia. Just looking for something to protect any vinyl rubber and plastics.
    Interior or Exterior?

I just seal external plastics/trim/seals with Ultima`s Tire and Trim Guard Plus ("TTG+") and then maintain with the Spray Wax. The UV inhibitors in OCW make it good for that if you`re concerned about UV exposure, but I prefer how Meguiar`s Ultimate Quick Wax ("UQW")/D156 looks on those (and/but I prefer how the OCW looks on paint).

I don`t use Exterior Rubber and Vinyl Dressings ("ERV" dressings) as many tend to attract/retain dirt and/or run in the rain, and IME they all need redone too frequently. I`ve never tried the Stoner`s Trim Shine as I`m 100% satisfied with my current approach. (Isn`t it an aerosol? I don`t know how you`d avoid overspray; I basically don`t use aerosol products in my shop with exception of Zep40 Glass Cleaner).
    Definitely going to ditch the lexol for leather masters.
    Good decision

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen- Lots of food-for-thought in your suggested list

What do you like about the CG`s Wheel Brush? Ever try the Wheel Woolies (BH one for comparison?

Your experiences with Seal & Shine compared to FK1000P *really* got my attention!

Oh, and, heh heh, I gotta chuckle over your "get away with washing [only] once a week and living with the dirt in between washes"...you crazy Autopian you! (Says this guy who used to wash all the time too )

More importantly than any of this Detailing stuff, Good Luck on your upcoming Exams.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Degreasers/APCs/etc., I wonder whether it`s unusual that I just don`t use them any more.

I do use a diluted APC to clean up the interior of the Dog-hauler (which is basically lined with heavy-duty plastic that such products clean up easily), but otherwise I`m gradually using them up as pre-trreatments on my MFs/applicators.

While it`ll undoubtedly be a situational thing like the S & S vs. FK1000P, for me once I got things cleaned up and LSPed I just never needed APCs again. Even the undercarriages of the winter vehicles clean up great with just a sorta-strong shampoo mix; they never need anything like an APC let alone a dedicated degreaser.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    TheMeanGreen- Lots of food-for-thought in your suggested list

What do you like about the CG`s Wheel Brush? Ever try the Wheel Woolies (BH one for comparison?

Your experiences with Seal & Shine compared to FK1000P *really* got my attention!

Oh, and, heh heh, I gotta chuckle over your "get away with washing [only] once a week and living with the dirt in between washes"...you crazy Autopian you! (Says this guy who used to wash all the time too )

More importantly than any of this Detailing stuff, Good Luck on your upcoming Exams.
    The CG wheel brush is cheaper and is flag tipped, if the OP wants to spend the money on the Wheel Woolies brush, then he can. I think he could go with the short handle Rag Company Wheel and Body Brush (get two of them for the price of a single Wheel Woolies) and get the same performance. I honestly just named the CG brush, I myself do not have a use for one of those styles of bushes unless its for application of tire shine, so I pick a cheap brush for that.

Seal and Shine has impressed me, it`s also much easier to apply than FK1000P, however it does not have the same resistance to chemical etching that the FK1000P does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Regarding Degreasers/APCs/etc., I wonder whether it`s unusual that I just don`t use them any more.

I do use a diluted APC to clean up the interior of the Dog-hauler (which is basically lined with heavy-duty plastic that such products clean up easily), but otherwise I`m gradually using them up as pre-trreatments on my MFs/applicators.

While it`ll undoubtedly be a situational thing like the S & S vs. FK1000P, for me once I got things cleaned up and LSPed I just never needed APCs again. Even the undercarriages of the winter vehicles clean up great with just a sorta-strong shampoo mix; they never need anything like an APC let alone a dedicated degreaser.
    Once a car is cleaned up, I too, don`t really have a need heavy for APC`s or degreasers, but if I am to have just one, it`s Extra Tough and it`s SUPER gentle. Having used both OPT Power Clean and Extra Tough, I take Extra Tough every single day of the week. It`s also funny because they are the same price, also even more funny is that at a dilution of 1:32, Extra Tough has more cleaning ability than Power Clean.

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen- Ah, OK...thanks for mentioning the CG and Rag Co. ones..are they atural or synthetic bristles? (Yeah, "GUILTY!" if you`re thinking I oughta just look `em up myself ).

Funny how different people do stuff differently, I bet 90% of my Wheel (face) Cleaning is done with BHBs, and/but I never use brushes for my Tire Slime.

Thanks for mentioning how the S & S compares regarding etching, you know that`s one of my top priorities (since I tend to, uhm...let things go for so long ).

And thanks for mentioning the Extra Tough too! I simply never heard of that and it sounds very versatile. I hope to *eventually* need something like that again (hey, I plan to live forever ) and I`m gonna Note-to-Self to look into that Extra Tough. "More cleaning ability than Power Clean" sure got my attention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information