Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Griots 6in Polisher Question

I`ve been considering purchasing a polisher to get my new Lexus RC300 (Nebula Grey) ready for winter. It just so turns out that my brother had a brand new Griots 6in sitting in his garage unused. It is now in my possession!!!

I am slightly confused because the backing plate measures 5 3/4in. While the pads (orange and white) that came with this package measure 5 1/2in. Should the pads be slightly bigger than the backing plate?

There also seems to be another smaller backing plate that measures about 4 3/4in.

My brother said he purchased all together as one package here in 2015.

Should I be purchasing different pads? I plan on doing some sort of cleaner/polisher, and then a glaze/sealant/coating. Being the car is only 1 month old I don`t think i will need to clay or get crazy with correction.

While we are at it, what product combos do you all think would be good for me, as this will be my first time using a machine.

Thanks for the help!

-Evan
    Thanks

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots 6in Polisher Question

Quote Originally Posted by evan631 View Post
    I`ve been considering purchasing a polisher to get my new Lexus RC300 (Nebula Grey) ready for winter. It just so turns out that my brother had a brand new Griots 6in sitting in his garage unused. It is now in my possession!!!

I am slightly confused because the backing plate measures 5 3/4in. While the pads (orange and white) that came with this package measure 5 1/2in. Should the pads be slightly bigger than the backing plate?

There also seems to be another smaller backing plate that measures about 4 3/4in.

My brother said he purchased all together as one package here in 2015.

Should I be purchasing different pads? I plan on doing some sort of cleaner/polisher, and then a glaze/sealant/coating. Being the car is only 1 month old I don`t think i will need to clay or get crazy with correction.

While we are at it, what product combos do you all think would be good for me, as this will be my first time using a machine.

Thanks for the help!

-Evan
    That bigger plate is probably for 6.5 inch pads a smaller is for 5.5 inch pads is my guess. I got into tha hobby after that and I believe the e came out with 2 upgraded models since then. They make a 5” backing plate for sale hear but not sure it would fit. If no one chimes in and knows if recommend giving griots a call direct. Super helpful company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Evan631 How nice to find a good machine !!!

-- Everything Coatings=crack said is correct..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The bigger backing plate is for 6-1/4" pads, the smaller backing plate is for 5-1/4" pads.. Yes, the pads should overlap past the backing plate edge so the backing plate edge never hits the vehicle, which would be a bad thing..

You want to center the pad equal distance all around the backing plate before you start using it..

You will need several pads of each type to clean up,, correct, etc., paint.

You will need a good foam pad cleaner.. Lots of microfiber towels..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on what is essentially a `barn find` on the Griots polisher. Swap the backing plates and you`re good to go. I have the same machine and have switched to the Griots BOSS 5.5" pads. If you`re wondering how many pads of each type to buy, here`s a very informative post over on Autogeek by Mike Philips that will explain it:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...=how+many+pads

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the info. I will look into getting the correct pads etc.
    Thanks

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the info. I will look into getting the correct pads etc.
    Trade it in for a G9..better machine all around, or keep the G6 and put a 3.5" backing plate with 4" pads for tight areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Trade it in for a G9..
    Heh heh, sorta wish there were some way to trade me BOSS15 (with about 10 minutes worth of use) in on the G9 But more seriously, IMO evan631 has a good unit that`ll serve him well. It wasn`t all *that* long ago that guys like Mike lambert were saying that a GG6 is all you need, and just because there`s a New Hotness on the market that doesn`t mean that previous options are deficient. I`d want 3-4" pads for it, but that`s just me and I`m not working on a Lexus (which I`d assume is a lot softer than my clears).

evan631- For the product, you could always start with some kind of AIO (a category in which I`d include all kinds of "polishes with some LSP stuff in them"). As a get-acquainted approach, that type of product is just *so* easy and user-friendly! And basically impossible to have an oops with. Since that`ll probably take a lot longer than you`d expect (fair warning!), it`s great that there will be enough LSP-stuff on there to hold you over until the next wash, after which you can apply something more durable.

As for the Decontamination, I can go both ways; I sure wouldn`t do it unless it`s truly necessary (no matter what the "do it every time!" crowd says ), but if it *is* necessary I`d get it done now before there`s any genuine damage to that new-vehicle-paint. So, I`d do a very meticulous inspection before deciding. With any luck it won`t need it, and/but you`ll have the peace-of-mind from having checked it out.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, sorta wish there were some way to trade me BOSS15 (with about 10 minutes worth of use) in on the G9 But more seriously, IMO evan631 has a good unit that`ll serve him well. It wasn`t all *that* long ago that guys like Mike lambert were saying that a GG6 is all you need, and just because there`s a New Hotness on the market that doesn`t mean that previous options are deficient. I`d want 3-4" pads for it, but that`s just me and I`m not working on a Lexus (which I`d assume is a lot softer than my clears).

evan631- For the product, you could always start with some kind of AIO (a category in which I`d include all kinds of "polishes with some LSP stuff in them"). As a get-acquainted approach, that type of product is just *so* easy and user-friendly! And basically impossible to have an oops with. Since that`ll probably take a lot longer than you`d expect (fair warning!), it`s great that there will be enough LSP-stuff on there to hold you over until the next wash, after which you can apply something more durable.

As for the Decontamination, I can go both ways; I sure wouldn`t do it unless it`s truly necessary (no matter what the "do it every time!" crowd says ), but if it *is* necessary I`d get it done now before there`s any genuine damage to that new-vehicle-paint. So, I`d do a very meticulous inspection before deciding. With any luck it won`t need it, and/but you`ll have the peace-of-mind from having checked it out.

True, but if he can afford a brand new Lexus, he can afford a 150 bucks for a better polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    True, but if he can afford a brand new Lexus, he can afford a 150 bucks for a better polisher.
    Heh heh, perhaps by some measures, but that`s just not how I think. Maybe that`s easy for me to say, what with all the different units I have on the shelf to choose from.

Heh heh, just look at all the people in pricey cars who don`t spend *anything* on such stuff yet have swell lives nonetheless! I know a scad of [pricey newish car] owners, but but I can count on one hand the ones who do any Detailing whatsoever. And the few who do are Car Guys who enter shows/etc. with their old Hobby Cars (even most of those people do *nothing* with their newer cars, don`t even run `em through carwashes, ever. They let the Dealer do that during servicing. Yeah...really ).

Plus, I don`t want to be the bummer-guy telling evan631 that his joy over his new polisher is misplaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again guys for your input!

As for getting the G9...i don`t think it`s necessary as i am just getting started with this. I wouldn`t even know what the difference is between the two polishers at this point in my new hobby.
    I just need to get the first few go`rounds then I will reevaluate.

Who knows Rsurfer... being I can afford a Lexus, maybe I`ll just pay someone to do it the next time!
    Thanks

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again guys for your input!

As for getting the G9...i don`t think it`s necessary as i am just getting started with this. I wouldn`t even know what the difference is between the two polishers at this point in my new hobby.
    I just need to get the first few go`rounds then I will reevaluate.

Who knows Rsurfer... being I can afford a Lexus, maybe I`ll just pay someone to do it the next time!
    I look at it like this you’ll probably polish once/twice a year. Upgrading to g9 would make the work faster, more comfortable and maybe better? I do think you’ll need a 3” with the curves of your car. I preferred a dedicated 3” myself though as it has a smaller shroud. Try what you got but if the bugs it’s you.... you’ll find yourself chasing a rabbit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator - who knows - try contacting their customer service and see what they say!

Evan631: My 2 cents - No reason to bail on the GG6 already. While the G9 is great, just getting started there’s no need to invest in a new polisher when you’ve got a great machine to try out first. While I’m not a golfer, it’d be like if I found my Dad’s old clubs in a closet and decided to go try hitting a ball around. Sure, new pro clubs could make for a slightly better experience for a novice, but the old one’s would be just fine for finding out if I want to actually golf.

You got good info on the backing plate/pad situation. The pad should always be bigger than the backing plate. Typically the Velcro interface will just be larger than the backing plate.

Do you have any info on what pads you have? Various manufacturers use different colors, so pad color isn’t always a universal indicator for how “aggressive” the pad is.

I personally have been a longtime Griot’s fan, so for simplicity’s sake (plus, brand loyalty helps save my wallet...some) I’ve stuck with their pads. While the general consensus is the best setup for the GG6 is to go with thinner 5.5” pads (run on the 5” backing plate), I found recently that I was actually better served using thicker pads on the more contoured surface. With a free spinning random orbital like the GG6, you need to keep pad rotation going to ensure correction is actually taking place. The thicker pad in my experience let the pad conform to the surface without slowing the backing plate down as much. The thin pads are nice for wide open spaces though.

Another perk of the GG6 is the ability to run 3” pads with their HD backing plate (I’d go that route versus just a regular 3” plate as GG put engineering into matching that backing plate to the machine).

As far as pads/products, Hopefully someone with experience with your paint can chime in with a generally good match. Working off of having read that Toyota/Lexus paint is usually on the softer (or as Mike Lambert would say: Easier to correct) side, I’d stay on the mild end. I would guess especially starting off something like Griot’s Perfecting Cream and either their orange standard pads or the yellow or orange BOSS pads. This would help do some light correction and bump up your gloss. Like Accumulator mentioned, you could also just stick with an All-In-One that both polishes and seals; Blackfire’s one step seems to have pretty positive feedback, though there are many options.

As far as sealant/coating, I think that comes down to soul searching for what you’re looking for for an application/lifetime/maintenance experience. Feel free to share your thoughts there and I’m sure folks can help match you with a good product.

briarpatch had a good read as far as how many pads to expect. As someone else mentioned, you’ll also want to invest in good quality towels to prevent inducing marring.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Accumulator - who knows - try contacting their customer service and see what they say!
    Heh heh, the last time I tried something like that I got on the Griot`s Garage $#!+ list...no more "handbooks" for years and no they didn`t handle the Return the way the Customer Service Rep said they would. And that was after *THEY* insisted that I initiate the precipitating event and despite my having been a steady customer since the days when Richard answered the phone in his family`s kitchen.

Then when my GG 3" (electric) died after *five minutes* of use, the replacement was a "one-time only" deal..which did not engender confidence in either their products or their CS.

So I believe I`m justified in being a bit pessimistic, not to say cynical about GG`s Customer Service.

Plus, since my wife bought it, I`m especially certain that, wll... I just won`t go there...and I don`t want her to feel that she [screwed] up...she was obviously listening when I talked Polishers and thought she was doing right by getting it for me.

...you’ll also want to invest in good quality towels to prevent inducing marring.
    And getting the Wash Regimen squared away to prevent marring. I genuinely believe that most marring comes from well-intentioned but incorrect wash/dry processes.

Like Accumulator mentioned, you could also just stick with an All-In-One that both polishes and seals..
    Use some AIO with a little bit of Cut to it, then top with FK1000P after each of the next two washes, and then just wash it for months on end. Easy-peasy, durable, good-looking, and CHEAP.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post

You got good info on the backing plate/pad situation. The pad should always be bigger than the backing plate. Typically the Velcro interface will just be larger than the backing plate.

Do you have any info on what pads you have? Various manufacturers use different colors, so pad color isn’t always a universal indicator for how “aggressive” the pad is.
    As for the pads i have in hand...they are Smart Pads : - orange light cutting pad, and white foam polishing pad. Both by lake county, and with autogeek url on packaging.

I am willing to purchase any new items needs. Just trying to gather my info.
    Thanks

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And getting the Wash Regimen squared away to prevent marring. I genuinely believe that most marring comes from well-intentioned but incorrect wash/dry processes.

Use some AIO with a little bit of Cut to it, then top with FK1000P after each of the next two washes, and then just wash it for months on end. Easy-peasy, durable, good-looking, and CHEAP.
    I think I have my wash regimen all squared away. Doing the two bucket method, with grit guards. Dying with waffle weave (looking for something better like a the microfiber thick towel).

Thanks for the info!
    Thanks

-Evan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information