Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wash and wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash and wax?

acuRAS82- Hey, that`s a good, and fair enough, Q! Souveran is indeed one fragile LSP and I always redid it after every wash (not matter which shampoo I used). Not hyperbole either, literally after *every* wash. I could tell when I rinsed that it needed redone...got *old* when I was using it on Daily Drivers! Hey, I was more Autopian back then (in the days before there *was* an Autopia!).

But to answer, the Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and BF stuff also compromised (better term for it than "stripped") much more durable LSPs (including BF`s AFPP, which really [ticked] me off). Those were simply really harsh, but otherwise very *good* shampoos IME.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Now if they`d just go back to selling that in the 5 gallon buckets....
    Accum, I recommend trying the 3D Nano pail instead of the 5 gal bucket. Some number of washes in extremely concentrated but is just like Pink Soap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Accum, I recommend trying the 3D Nano pail instead of the 5 gal bucket. Some number of washes in extremely concentrated but is just like Pink Soap.
    Ah,thanks for suggesting that, I`ll look into that when the time comes. Although a radically different concentration would mean I`d have to rethink my mixing after having gotten it just right (~3.5oz of both shampoos per gallon of water) and being in the habit of "three and a half pumps of each dispenser" for so many years. (Heh heh, I suppose that sounds a little silly, but it does come to mind )

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll look into that 3D Nano as well. If I can get away with not having to use mitts at all, the better !
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    If I can get away with not having to use mitts at all, the better !
    You thinking of going Home Touchless, eliminating Mechanical Agitation entirely?

I get away with it on the Tahoe while the FK1000P is really fresh, but only for so long. But then yours don`t get as dirty as ours do either...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah mine don’t get as dirty so if something like that 3D soap can eliminate the use of mitts entirely, the better! Faster too! Just have to get new foam guns every so often.

Post Thanks / Like

.. if something like that 3D soap can eliminate the use of mitts entirely, the better! Faster too!
    I dunno...

Just have to get new foam guns every so often..
    I haven`t had one die for *ages*. They used to quit working after a while in ways I (was surprised that I) couldn`t rectify, but that hasn`t happened for years.

I`d expect the Home Touchless to work better with something like my Lonn Cleaning Gun (at >100psi), or at least a Tornador (which is working better for me, perhaps due to lowered expectations/demands) but maybe yours do stay so clean that you won`t need that.

I`d still go with the mitts before reLSPing though, and I`d do that pretty frequently.

EDIT: No need for mechanical agitation in the engine compartment/jambs/etc.? Even my sunny day cars get dirty in those places and I need BHBs/swabs/something to get them truly clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash and wax?

When it comes to the engine compartment, I just wipe everything down with a Swiffer duster after every long drive. Works really great! I just go over the jambs with waterless wash;not something that needs to be done too often since they are nicely LSPed.

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to the engine compartment, I just wipe everything down with a Swiffer duster after every long drive. Works really great!
    Ah, your engines and underhood systems are apparently better sealed-up than (most of) ours are. And I gather that rain doesn`t result in big underhood cleanups for you (color me envious ).

Not that I`m wiping anything except the glass all that regularly

I just go over the jambs with waterless wash;not something that needs to be done too often since they are nicely LSPed.
    Huh, ours get way too dirty for that, must be one of those subjective/situational things. Some of those areas get genuinely *filthy* on ours, multi-step cleanups required every time (which still surprises me during the nice-weather months). This is like the engine compartments and undercarriages in that I keep thinking "one of these times it won`t be necessary..." but that just never happens

But yeah, having those areas (polished and) LSPed makes a huge difference!

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- But to answer, the Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and BF stuff also compromised (better term for it than "stripped") much more durable LSPs (including BF`s AFPP, which really [ticked] me off). Those were simply really harsh, but otherwise very *good* shampoos IME.
    Thanks for the info. I’ll certainly keep an eye on this, as I pretty much have these soaps to compliment the same brand LSPs. Hopefully they have since made them more mild... but I’ll report back if I see any significant degrading issues when I use them next.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the claims of certain shampoos (mentioned in this thread) killing wax even if it was a synergy product. I never thought it was the case. I always felt that whatever they put in those a shampoos to help sheet the water off for a “spotless” wash was the culprit. I don’t feel they killed the wax but left something on top the hide the beading. Now when speaking of Souveran..... one of the best looking waxes but it’s durability is that of 2 raindrops.......
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Now if they`d just go back to selling that in the 5 gallon buckets....
    Is that your preferred shampoo?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I remember the claims of certain shampoos (mentioned in this thread) killing wax even if it was a synergy product. I never thought it was the case. I always felt that whatever they put in those a shampoos to help sheet the water off for a “spotless” wash was the culprit. I don’t feel they killed the wax but left something on top the hide the beading. Now when speaking of Souveran..... one of the best looking waxes but it’s durability is that of 2 raindrops.......
    I can see your point about leaving a little something on top that impacts the LSP beading. Even with Mckees SiO2 Auto Wash I notice a decrease in beading as I rinse off. But by the next rain, the beading is doing what I would expect from the LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Is [3D Pink Car Soap] your preferred shampoo?
    Yes, although 1) I`m mixing it 50:50 with Griot`s and 2) I haven`t tried all *that* many shampoos, at least not recently.

Note that I haven`t tried some highly-regarded ones such as Optimum and Duragloss due to what I`ve read here about their scents, and I haven`t tried Ultima because it`d be very pricey the way I go through it. I sincerely doubt that anybody would be disappointed by any of those, but again I haven`t tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz
    I remember the claims of certain shampoos (mentioned in this thread) killing wax even if it was a synergy product. I never thought it was the case. I always felt that whatever they put in those a shampoos to help sheet the water off for a “spotless” wash was the culprit. I don’t feel they killed the wax but left something on top the hide the beading.
    That could indeed be and eh, I probably could`ve worded things better. But when a shampoo leaves a previously slick/beading/shiny surface feeling/behaving/looking like it needs reLSPed, and that surface is indeed fine again once I`ve done that, I figure that for *practical purposes* I can say it "killed my LSP". It went from "fine but dirty" to "needing rewaxed..or something" as in, worse than before I washed it.

That`s supposedly what happened when ONR v2.0 messed up Collinite, but to me that was splitting hairs since the car needed, well...something at least as involved ad rewaxing. I never let it go until it got rained on/etc. as I won`t drive something in that kind of shape if I can help it, and would never take one of *our* vehicles out like that.

Heh heh, with the OCW people were suggesting I wipe the vehicle off with IPA and buff that and see if that fixed it..but I`d rather just wash with something that doesn`t cause issues.

Post Thanks / Like

One observation I made using Blackfire`s Wash and Wax, is that rinsing the soap off, I noticed the water sheeting off as if there was no protection. You don`t see immediate beading and hyperphobic reactions. A week later, I did see *some* - so maybe with this soap at least, it takes time for the wax part to settle in with the paint? They need a little time to get along like a couple of 6 year olds on the first day of school?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information