Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wash and wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash and wax?

I`ve had pretty good results with TW ICE wash and wax but it`s not as durable as using a good spray wax. It also really perks up faded trim too.

IMO soaps are very dependent on your local water chemistry. Some work great for me, others are just horrible.

That said, personally I`d skip the foaming and just pressure wash the dirt off. Use that time saved for a quick wax as you dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Definetly not a scientist but most time I read soaps are PH neutral the say it’s LSP safe...
    I`ve quit going by manufacturer/vendor "info" like that. It`s like "clearcoat safe" and other vague claims that products won`t, uhm...disappoint.

Ever see a conventional shampoo`s label say "this stuff will compromise your wax"?

Some of my Wheel Cleaners are labelled "ph neutral" but they`ll strip LSPs quite effectively, as I found out when I used them on waxed wheels For that matter, some presumed-high-quality shampoos have stripped LSPs incredibly well (or should I say "badly"?), products like the BF stuff that came with their v1.0 All Finish Paint Protection kit, and even Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo (which I still always liked, used gallons of it back in the day) could do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    IMO soaps are very dependent on your local water chemistry. Some work great for me, others are just horrible.
    I agree. Compared to experiences at my previous shop, some of mine work quite differently in my current home shop where I have really good (softened/filtered) water.

That said, personally I`d skip the foaming and just pressure wash the dirt off. Use that time saved for a quick wax as you dry.
    I agree with that idea too, at least I`d consider it worth a try. With a good LSP, the pressure washer pre-rinse can get things almost "normal person clean", if not Autopian Clean.

If I`m spraying something besides water during the pre-wash/rinse, I do it through the Lonn Cleaning Gun using high pressure (like, over 100psi). Now *that* can be worth doing if a vechicle is *really* nasty, although it works so well that it`s tempting to just rinse it off, blow it dry, and say "Home Touchless Wash is done!"

But eh, I`ve never used a Foam Cannon/etc. so I can`t *really* say much about the efficacy of that, huh?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ve quit going by manufacturer/vendor "info" like that. It`s like "clearcoat safe" and other vague claims that products won`t, uhm...disappoint.

Ever see a conventional shampoo`s label say "this stuff will compromise your wax"?

Some of my Wheel Cleaners are labelled "ph neutral" but they`ll strip LSPs quite effectively, as I found out when I used them on waxed wheels For that matter, some presumed-high-quality shampoos have stripped LSPs incredibly well (or should I say "badly"?), products like the BF stuff that came with their v1.0 All Finish Paint Protection kit, and even Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo (which I still always liked, used gallons of it back in the day) could do it.
    I don’t have as much detail experience as you but so for ph neutral soaps (I’ve only used 3) have been Wash and wax?. The ultimate wheel cleaner and 3 types of iron remover have been good.

I would love to find a product that could remove LSP on top of coating but not harm coating...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings=crack- Well, heh heh, one potential downside of my having done this for so long is that I still think in terms of experiences that might no longer be relevant

"Boo hoo, Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo stripped my Souveran!"

"Hey old guy, that was 30-some years ago, things change."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I don’t understand that either. Just because something is named “Gold Class” doesn’t mean it really is such. I use 3D Pink Soap and am perfectly happy. It has plenty of lubrication and cleans beautifully.
    Gold Class is my friend`s favorite wash I don`t get it, even after i supplied him with other options! [sigh]
    I recently gave him a sample of 3D Pink, hoping that one gets him off class....and well....

Now if they`d just go back to selling that in the 5 gallon buckets....
    I still have most of the 5 gallon bucket! Darn water restrictions killed it for me. I`m slowly working a plan to use bucket at coin-op.

Anyway, if my friend likes the 3D, I told him I`d replenish his empty, cleaned bottle of Gold Class with Pink....and for free.

To the OP: I also agree that a dedicated spray wax would work better than a wash and wax. Though, I do kind of like Blackfire`s version of it. Cleaned well and left my Jeep looking better than ever (more gloss).
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- True Confessons Time....I still haven`t tried that Poorboy`s shampoo you sent me Not doing many washes these days and I still have gallons of my GG + 3D concentrate mixed up that I want to use first. I don`t want you to think I don`t appreciate your sending it to me; the plan is to first test it out on wheels/wells after I use up my M62 (which is taking longer than expected).

I somehow suspect that yoru pal won`t appreciate the diff between GC and 3D Pink. IME most people who don`t have firmly held opinions on this stuff are pretty oblivious to "little things" that can mean so much to us Autopians (whether they should or not ).

Heh heh, those water restrictions are on the (very, *very* long) list of why I won`t consider living in CA.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- True Confessons Time....I still haven`t tried that Poorboy`s shampoo you sent me Not doing many washes these days and I still have gallons of my GG + 3D concentrate mixed up that I want to use first. I don`t want you to think I don`t appreciate your sending it to me; the plan is to first test it out on wheels/wells after I use up my M62 (which is taking longer than expected).

I somehow suspect that yoru pal won`t appreciate the diff between GC and 3D Pink. IME most people who don`t have firmly held opinions on this stuff are pretty oblivious to "little things" that can mean so much to us Autopians (whether they should or not ).

Heh heh, those water restrictions are on the (very, *very* long) list of why I won`t consider living in CA.

Thanks for the chuckle! Well, if we`re confessing.....I`m still using that GG + 3D mix myself! I mainly use it for my mobile jobs and use it as a pre-soak/clay lube while I was and decon. Seriously works well for me that way. I`m trying to find time to hit the local coin-op to use other soaps myself as I can`t do washes at home (except rinseless)

Your suspicions might be accurate. I suspect the same. I think, he seems mostly concerned mostly with the suds developed. I hope he doesn`t read this! haha
    (Just remind me of something - I`ll post a new thread sometime later today or tomorrow - talk about making Autopians cringe!)

[sigh] - Yeah, I know what you mean about CA. Smog (emissions program here) still irks me. As much as I want to leave...I hate change. And, this is the only home I`ve known

Speaking of Wash & Wax, I kind of miss using the Duragloss 501(?) - I thoroughly enjoyed using that in my earlier "detailing" years (haha, like it`s been so long ago).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus
    As much as I want to leave [CA]...I hate change. And, this is the only home I`ve known..
    Understood. And FWIW, it`s been 35 years since my BFF moved from CA, and she *still* misses it something awful! Besides the familiarity-factor, that state seems to get into the consciousness of some people and just never leave!

Post Thanks / Like

Understood. And FWIW, it`s been 35 years since my BFF moved from CA, and she *still* misses it something awful! Besides the familiarity-factor, that state seems to get into the consciousness of some people and just never leave!

Ouch. That`s a heck of a long time. My wife and I have talked about it. There was a time, years ago, that I said I would never leave. That was years ago....I`d consider it these days.

So two nights ago, I went out at 10pm to the coin-op for a bucket wash. I brought my own soap, mitts, and just used the coin op water. I did put in the max dollar amount to "be fair" to the coin-op place. Even during the time I was soaping with the wash mitts, the water was running in the background.

Was surprised to see a few others out there!

Anyway, it was nice to use soap and mitt. Took my time (relatively speaking) and the car looked more than half decent. Used Blackfire Wash & Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- I bet that bucket wash left it nice after not doingit that way for so long.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- I bet that bucket wash left it nice after not doingit that way for so long.
    It had been mostly quick coin-op rinses with waterless follow up, since July. That process wasn`t so bad by Average Joe standards. Even "good enough" for me. Well, until the next correction comes along

I think I`ll continue with that bucket and coin-OP for a while.

Here she was a day later...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- With the right LSP, you can get away with a lot and still have it look OK

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

For that matter, some presumed-high-quality shampoos have stripped LSPs incredibly well (or should I say "badly"?), products like the BF stuff that came with their v1.0 All Finish Paint Protection kit, and even Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo (which I still always liked, used gallons of it back in the day) could do it.
    Was it only Souveran that the Pinnacle and BF soaps stripped, or another note durable LSP as well? I’m surprised but not surprised that Pinnacle Bodywork shampoo would strip Souveran, because I’ve done it and the Souveran survived, but also because Souveran’s lack of durability with water makes me think that any water could “strip” it if it was already compromised in any way by time or environment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information