Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wash and wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Wash and wax?

Hi all,
    I currently use a snow foam then remove with high pressure spray before washing with a mitt and a budget car detergent, and I’m very happy with the appearance but I usually don’t have time to apply a spray wax to help maintain the carnauba wax coating.

Do you folks recommend using a wash and wax soap as a way to prolong the life of a wax coating?

Ben - Melbourne/Australia

Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben
    Melbourne/Australia

2015 VW Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash and wax?

Do you have time to utilize a spray wax as a drying aid?
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Do you have time to utilize a spray wax as a drying aid?
    I could do that.

Ben - Melbourne/Australia

Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben
    Melbourne/Australia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phatrs View Post
    Hi all,
    I currently use a snow foam then remove with high pressure spray before washing with a mitt and a budget car detergent, and I’m very happy with the appearance but I usually don’t have time to apply a spray wax to help maintain the carnauba wax coating.

Do you folks recommend using a wash and wax soap as a way to prolong the life of a wax coating?
    Nah, I`d just use a longer-lasting LSP in the first place. The stuff Wash + Wax shampoos leave behind is pretty minimal at best and a pure marketing BS gimmick at worst.

I`m a little curious about that " I usually don’t have time to apply a spray wax..". If you`re not touch-drying I can understand, but if drying with a towel/etc., spritzing on a bit of SprayWax as a Drying Aid takes literally seconds and IMO it doesn`t increase the time spent drying by an appreciable amount.

Oh, and FWIW, noting that unsolicited advice is about as popular as [INSERT bad thing HERE]...I`d sure quit using a "budget car detergent". After many years and countless gallons of [whatever was on sale], I switched to good shampoos and it made a *world* of difference. IME getting the best possible shampoo with regards to cleaning/lubricity/encapsulation *while being LSP-friendly* is downright crucial to my getting acceptable results. I don`t even understand how anyone can get decent results with Meguiar`s Gold Class, and that`s considered a mid-range product, not a bargain one.

Oh and FWIW#2...I hope that "snow foam" is LSP-friendly so you`re not just stripping your wax every wash.

Eh...I do recognize the downside here- it can be a trade-off between spending money and spending time/effort; I`m all about preserving the latter but others will go the other way with perfectly good reasons why.
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I don`t even understand how anyone can get decent results with Meguiar`s Gold Class, and that`s considered a mid-range product, not a bargain one.
    I don’t understand that either. Just because something is named “Gold Class” doesn’t mean it really is such. I use 3D Pink Soap and am perfectly happy. It has plenty of lubrication and cleans beautifully.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I use 3D Pink Soap and am perfectly happy. It has plenty of lubrication and cleans beautifully.
    Now if they`d just go back to selling that in the 5 gallon buckets....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies so far!

The snow foam is from Autoglym so I assume it wouldn’t strip my carnauba. I’ll definitely look at using a better soap based on your advice, and I’ll see what spray waves are available that can be used as a drying aid. My current spray retailer has carnauba in it and recommends being buffed off after because it to contains carnauba.
    Ben
    Melbourne/Australia

Post Thanks / Like

i use Mkee`s37 and the 3d pink soap pretty happy with both.car is black and both do a nice job and leave a nice shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phatrs View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far!

The snow foam is from Autoglym so I assume it wouldn’t strip my carnauba. I’ll definitely look at using a better soap based on your advice, and I’ll see what spray waves are available that can be used as a drying aid. My current spray retailer has carnauba in it and recommends being buffed off after because it to contains carnauba.
    If it’s polar blast it should be ph neutral.... safe for your Lsp. I second using a drying aid. It’ll add maybe 10 extra minutes on the actually drying but is well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

See below. Double post!

Post Thanks / Like

I never saw much of a difference with “wash and wax” some provided a bit of gloss enhancement........

that was until I recently tried the new Wolfgang SiO2 wash. Stuff if amazing. Adds some serious gloss and will take an unprotected car to beading with just a simple wash. Definitely adds a boost to any LSP on the vehicle. Stuff is very pricy but really performs well.

https://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-ub...ting-wash.html

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings=crack- Does "ph neutral" = LSP-friendly? I just don`t know. Sure, seriously alkaline/acidic stuff will strip it, but otherwise...???

I`ve gotten used to my shampoos having basically zero effect on my LSPs, sure don`t want to reLSP anything every few months!

Dr. Oldz- Heh heh, "very pricey" indeed! Nobody`s ever accused me of being a cheapskate, but I`d never pay $2/oz. for a carwash shampoo! But then the way I wash uses a *lot* more than an approach like the 2BM...I could go through that pint bottle in one wash if the Tahoe were really dirty!

But hey, I`m not flaming the stuff, and I appreciate your posting about it as it sounds like they`ve taken the "wash that leaves stuff behind" concept to a whole new level. That`s awfully impressive for something that gets rinsed off!

phatrs- I generally like Autoglym stuff, but I don`t know from their Snow Foam.

For me, the big challenge is to find a good-enough shampoo that`s reasonably priced. I won`t buy in quantities less than a gallon and I try to get what is affordable when it`s on sale (shampoos never go bad, infinite shelf-life).

I gather you have your preferences in LSP all figured out and that they trend towards carnaubas, right?

I`m asking because I no longer use LSPs that are short-lived or that don`t protect against birds/bugs/etching and I kinda think of carnaubas that way. Although I did use Souveran as the topper on my Jag when I was driving it (might rethink that should I get it out of mothballs).

The SprayWaxes I use are Meguiar`s Ultimate Quick Wax (generally just on trim/etc.) and Optimum Car Wax (generally just on paint and plastic lenses). Both have been utterly Accumulator-proof and IMO are reasonably priced.

Close behind those SprayWaxes are my fave QD (FK425) and RW (IUDJ mixed to near-QD-strength). (I have a *scad* of other QDs on the shelf but am basically just using them up on the undercarriages).

Post Thanks / Like

I’d skip the process. Really, IMO, traditional soap is a dinosaur for the most part. Switch to a rinseless / waterless combo like Pinnacle or Ultima - regardless if your pre-rinsing or not. They leave behind similar to what a QD or spray wax does with no added work.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it was placebo effect, or the fact I had just gotten into detailing on a serious level and hadn`t anything outside of what Target sold. But I use to love Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss.

But, as with 90% of detailing products for every person who recommends something, you`ll find another who says it`s the worst thing out there lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Coatings=crack- Does "ph neutral" = LSP-friendly? I just don`t know. Sure, seriously alkaline/acidic stuff will strip it, but otherwise...???.

Definetly not a scientist but most time I read soaps are PH neutral the say it’s LSP safe. RESET is not PH neutral yet it is coating safe. Not sure about any other LSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information