Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing it Right: Removing and fixing old, incorrect touch-up paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Look at the bright side, whatever that is, at least it kept the chip from rusting. Did you order some thinner from Paint Scratch? Unlike (apparently from what Accumulator says) the Langka, Paint Scratch uses plastic bottles and their thinner seems to be gone by the time you turn around (at least on the geologic time scale at my house, which is using it once every couple-three years, at which point I realize the bottle is dry...I don`t know if it`s a cap issue or if the plastic bottles are just permeable--or both).
    PaintScratch does not ship laqueur thinner internationally.
    If I want laqueur thinner, I can get locally very easily.

Maybe I should store any plastic bottle in plastic wrap, stored inside a glass jar or something, to keep it dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Huh,that`s interesting about the PaintScratch thinner! I haven`t noticed my *paint* from them going bad, but I haven`t really been checking on it either. I was gonna say it was OK when I used some on the Tahoe, but upon reflection that was DrColorChips instead.

DownFlyer- I`m glad you were able to get the Langka at a decent price. Hoping (and confident) it`ll work well for you.

Are you all set with brushes? Those are indeed on the small side, and I want you to make this as easy on yourself as possible.

With any luck, you won`t find any surface rust under those touchups and the whole thing will go smoothly (heh heh...literally ).

White can be an incredible pain to match, but with the size of those chips I`m betting it`ll be OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Are you all set with brushes? Those are indeed on the small side, and I want you to make this as easy on yourself as possible.
    Thanks, yes. I have some of those 1.5 mm micro brushes.
    Though I have used wooden toothpicks in the past and they actually worked pretty well.

Actually the #1 most useful item in my touch-up arsenal is actually my Fenix headlamp... makes things 10X easier when really focusing in on small areas.

Post Thanks / Like

DownFlyer- Those disposable brushes oughta be perfect, and you answered another of my Qs by posting about the headlamp

I`m guessing your eyes are decades younger (or at least "much better") than mine, otherwise I`d be telling you to get a magnifying visor or somesuch (I use mine all the time).

Post Thanks / Like

DownFlyer- Hey, a Q just occurred to me...what kind of cloth do you plan to use with the Langka? Remember that it`ll be trashed by the old/removed paint, but don`t let that tempt you into using something "really disposable" that`s so coarse that it causes marring. No point in making more issues.

Post Thanks / Like

DownFlyer- Those disposable brushes oughta be perfect, and you answered another of my Qs by posting about the headlamp

I`m guessing your eyes are decades younger (or at least "much better") than mine, otherwise I`d be telling you to get a magnifying visor or somesuch (I use mine all the time).
    I have a paint chip I am going to tackle today after I pick up a Fine Line Fluid Writer Paint Applicator Pen. Will also use my magnifying visor.

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- I had to google up that Fine Line Fluid Writer...it sounded kinda familiar. Gee, now I want one! Between that and the visor you oughta do great

What visor are you using? After my latest Eye Rebuild my wife got me an LED illumination setup for mine, made it even better. Now if I just get a monocular add-on to compensate for my Monovision I`ll *really* be able to see what I`m doing without squinting/closing one eye.

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- I had to google up that Fine Line Fluid Writer...it sounded kinda familiar. Gee, now I want one! Between that and the visor you oughta do great

What visor are you using? After my latest Eye Rebuild my wife got me an LED illumination setup for mine, made it even better. Now if I just get a monocular add-on to compensate for my Monovision I`ll *really* be able to see what I`m doing without squinting/closing one eye.
    I am using a Magni Focuser going back to the days of the Glomar Explorer so they didn`t have high illum. The pen arrives from Amazon and I should be good to go. I don`t expect miracles but it will beat seeing the white primer. I have high expectations as its a step up from my tooth picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    ...going back to the days of the Glomar Explorer...
    Hey, the Glomar Explorer is still around.

Post Thanks / Like

DownFlyer- Hey, a Q just occurred to me...what kind of cloth do you plan to use with the Langka? Remember that it`ll be trashed by the old/removed paint, but don`t let that tempt you into using something "really disposable" that`s so coarse that it causes marring. No point in making more issues.
    Last time I did this (on my old car,) it was lacquer thinner and Q Tips. And all the old paint got absorbed into the Q Tips. After that, I just thoroughly wiped the area out with IPA.

Do you have recommendations on other cloths or methods?

Sent from my OnePlus6 A6003 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- I too used toothpicks, and I bet you`ll like the pen a lot better (I sure prefer my little brushes, never looked back).

DownFlyer- I used an old MF (which was promptly ruined). The swabs might work fine as long as the old paint is really liquified/thinned to where it wipes right off.
    Thanks DownFlyer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I finally got back to this issue (after being overseas for some time.)
    I don`t know what that `touch up paint` is, but langka seemingly had no effect. I went at it about 5 times with considerable elbow grease, and only a tiny bit at the edges came off. That was probably due to friction.

At this point, I think I won`t push my luck and will just live with it. I don`t know what the stuff is, or what damage I`ll do by trying other methods to remove it.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DownFlyer View Post
    I don`t know what that `touch up paint` is, but langka seemingly had no effect...
    Hey, that`s interesting! I wonder what they`d say about that. Never heard that before but it sure piques my interest!
    At this point, I think I won`t push my luck and will just live with it.
    Smart move IMO.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.
    Well, I wish *my* advice had been more useful Sorry to have wasted your $ on that Langka..
    Thanks DownFlyer thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information