Post Thanks / Like

Detailing stainless steel running boards/side steps

I have a set of stainless steel running boards on my pickup. They have the typical black plastic step pads where people *should* step to get into the truck, but outside that is stainless steel.

I want to clean and protect the whole thing...I figure the step pads are easy, whatever exterior trim protectant (I have Wolfgang).

My question is about the stainless - if I use something like Collinite Metal Wax, will they get too slick if someone accidentally steps on the metal?

Any suggestions on a product to clean and protect that WON`T make the metal too slippery?

Thanks.

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing stainless steel running boards/side steps

Quote Originally Posted by chris03tl View Post
    I want to clean and protect the whole thing...I figure the step pads are easy, whatever exterior trim protectant (I have Wolfgang)...
    Won`t that make the step pads a bit slick? I use Autoglym Bumper Care on the Tahoe`s, but a) I have to because they`re really trashed, and b) generally we don`t step on them lest they get soiled. I`d think a Trim Sealant (I use Ultima`s Tire & Trim Guard Plus) or a Coating might be less likely to end up slippery, especially in the wet. Anyhow..

My question is about the stainless - if I use something like Collinite Metal Wax, will they get too slick if someone accidentally steps on the metal? Any suggestions on a product to clean and protect that WON`T make the metal too slippery?
    While my Inner Smart-Alec thinks "let that teach `em a lesson..", OK yeah..you have a point. IME, the Klasse Twins would be the solution as KSG doesn`t really end up slick yet provides good protection (some of it in the form of a pretty good physical barrier; it`s thick stuff when layered), but I suspect that these days the Klasse Twins aren`t on everybody`s shelf the way they once were.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing stainless steel running boards/side steps

A coating on the pads, Griot’s stainless aerosol works great.

Thread Information