Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products for cheapskates?

Having read through most all of this thread I am surprised no one appears to have mentioned Optimum ONR. While I don’t know the price in Australia here in the States it is extremely cost effective if you want to limit your products overall and costs.

It is one of the only products I know that is advertised by the manufacturer and proven to be used as a car wash, window cleaner, interior cleaner, QD, clay lube, basically almost all car cleaning tasks.
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Having read through most all of this thread I am surprised no one appears to have mentioned Optimum ONR...

It is one of the only products I know that is advertised by the manufacturer and proven to be used as a car wash, window cleaner, interior cleaner, QD, clay lube, basically almost all car cleaning tasks.
    [original post DELETED]

I sometimes wonder if the current version of ONR is significantly (like...*extremely*) better than the earlier ones. The stuff I got was in the "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" category. It`s perfectly OK for a household dusting spray, so I have a lifetime supply of that. But it doesn`t go near my vehicles.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss Rinseless wash is the best I`ve used. Pretty cheap and leaves a nicely beading surface for a couple weeks. Use Mothers CMX or something similar and wash with Duragloss and that`s it. Simple.

I found the Optimum rinseless to leave a sticky type residue on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

wannafbody- My ONR seemed to do that on my *vehicles* but it does *NOT* seem to do it in the house. I don`t really understand that, but OK, whatever works for me...

Ah, so you like the DuraGloss! Have you ever tried IUDJ? I`m just wondering how the two compare. I always think that IUDJ is the perfect RW for me, but I want to keep an open mind about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I sometimes wonder if the current version of ONR is significantly (like...*extremely*) better than the earlier ones. The stuff I got was in the "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" category. It`s perfectly OK for a household dusting spray, so I have a lifetime supply of that. But it doesn`t go near my vehicles.

I have found uses for ONR. I like IUDJ better but for the cost ONR wins. I have been using the Duragloss Rinseless again and I like it as well.

I guess when I see someone want the cheapest thing possible I don`t believe they are normally up the Autopian level of craziness most times. Thus a suggestion like ONR that could be good for multiple uses but not the best in any one thing.

Post Thanks / Like

TroyScherer- Ah, OK...thanks, that was just what I was wondering (Re the current ONR vs. IUDJ). thanks for mentioning the DuraGloss too, I gather you`d put that in the ONR-category.

I gotta say (for the umpteenth time ) that I`m *really* liking ONR as a household dusting product. So it`s not like I`m hating on the stuff, in fact, I can honestly say it`s the best new thing I`ve tried for household stuff since forever, really made a nice diff and it`s not like the place was bad before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    thanks for mentioning the DuraGloss too, I gather you`d put that in the ONR-category.
    Honestly I am only half way through my new bottle of DG Rinse-less wash. I feels slicker when washing and is a much better QD / Drying aid compared to ONR for me.

I haven`t compared DG Rinse-less side by side with IUDJ yet for me to speak to that. It will most likely happen in the next few weeks. I have been waiting the then washing my truck and 1 car back to back using different stuff to test them. My truck has an old OC pro application so ONR seems to work well on it.

Post Thanks / Like

One aspect of car-care detailing products that I have observed from this thread is how much money it costs to import products from other countries WITH the custom taxes, tariffs, and import fees (we in the USA refer to them as bribes to "expedite" them through the inspection and approval process of such government entities/personnel) added to them. That said, I am sure many of us have bought and used products made outside their country that they live in.
    To the Original Poster (OP) who lives in Australia, I must apologize to you because myself, living in the USA, cannot identify with your economic pain of having to spend SOOO much on detailing products or having a limited choice of availability of products for detailing. I do not want to sound "better-than-you" or "that`s-your-problem-living-in-that-country", BUT here in the USA we take our consumer prices and wide product choices (AKA free-market economy and financial influence on the world economy) for granted. That`s a real challenge to myself trying to give you advice on detailing products that you simply do not have access through retail outlets/stores that do not exist in Australia or are just too cost prohibitive to buy or not available.
    My suggestion? Look at buying from UK manufacturers like BriteMax, AutoGlym, and DoDo Juice. You might have a better opportunity to find what you are looking for at a reasonable price. Though I am not sure what kind of import relationship the Aussies and POMEs (Prisoner Of Mother England, for the "uninformed", and yes, those in England are the REAL prisoners!) have.

Speaking of bribes, it is funny (AKA, ironic) how we in the USA condemn other countries` government or business officials and employees for taking bribes and graft as a part of the "acceptable" government or business practices and procedures. Yet here in the USA they are called "campaign contributions/donations/fund-raisers" or ""business gifts or wine-and-dining (AKA, business expense tax deductions)" or "tipping gratuities". Just sayin`......
    GB detailer
    Likes phatrs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It’s funny that you mention AutoGlym.

I use their snow foam because it’s cheaper than the alternatives when on special. I also use their tyre dressing and vinyl protectant for the same reason.

Here’s the range available here in Oz:
    https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/se...lym&lang=en_AU

The other more reasonably priced brand is Bowden’s Own which is an Aussie brand but still a lot more expensive than US prices.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/se...sz=12&start=12

I use their Lazy Wax spray, and Carnauba Body wax.

Ben
    Current: ‘19 VW Golf R
    Past: ‘05 RS 225 Cup
    Ben
    Melbourne/Australia

2015 VW Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Post Thanks / Like

I have same problem buying just to buy but I have two additional problems which are using products for off label uses and being a garage chemist. Lucky the most damage I have done so far if crapped up my sons powerwheels with my rotary. And made the appearance of black plastic parts horrible with a homemade concoction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phatrs View Post
    It’s funny that you mention AutoGlym...
    I still like their Super Resin Polish ("SRP") even though it stains trim and dusts like crazy (two downsides that would usually be deal-breakers, so that shows how much I like it).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information