Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products for cheapskates?

Detailing products are similar to wine. The most inexpensive are the absolute worst junk as a rule. The super expensive usually fail to deliver proportionally to their price. There are always exceptions if you do your homework.

I think you should find an Aussie specific forum as products are region specific. That said there are very few products over $20 that deliver IMO.
    Thanks phatrs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER
    To brutally honest, detailing is not cheap and is a expensive hobby.
    While it`s not as expensive as some I can think of, it does cost a bit. And if not doing it for pay it`s good to remember that it *is* a HOBBY. While maintaining the cosmetics of a vehicle can indeed help maintain its value (if only to a minimal extent, and that`s often all it amounts to), it`s primarily a discretionary expense that people indulge because they think it`s fun or it scratches some psych itch; it`s only as important as you let it be and it should never be an actual financial burden.

phatrs- I`d expect any good Glass Cleaner to be hard on wax, so IMO *any* Glass Cleaner oughta be kept on the glass and off other stuff. It`s pretty rare for limited contact to damage healthy autopaint, but I`d still just keep it off anything other than glass and chrome.

As Stokdgs and EXPDetailing implied, many of us only use Degreasers to remove....grease; for those jobs where emulsifying greasy stuff is the primary challenge. And it`s best to keep all harsh stuff off tires. Most wheels are powdercoated these days, and that`s pretty tough stuff, but if in doubt, just stick to Wheel Cleaners if a sorta-strong shampoo mix won`t do the job (it probably will if the wheels are waxed, probably won`t if they`re not).

I have zero knowledge about what is(n`t) available in Australia, so I can`t help with specific product recommendations. But I`d check out Autobody/Paint Supply Stores as some of `em have decent stuff at reasonable prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    But sometimes the bottles are *really* cool Products for cheapskates?

Every time I buy something non-essential (about 75% of the stuff i buy) I come a little closer to understanding why wife has/buys sooo many shoes that pretty much all look the same to me. She insists they`re all different in small ways that require the variety. It sounds very familiar when she says that.

Also makes me realize I should just keep my mouth shut and nod my head agreeably.
    The secret to a long happy marriage--IMHO and she said I could quote her!
    Jay
    Likes BudgetPlan1, phatrs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    CMX is nice but doesn’t shed the water no where near as cosmic and cosmic looks a tad better.

If I was ballin on a budget:

Soap: optimum car wash.
    Rims: Meguiars ultimate wheel cleaner.
    Iron removal: Meguiars ultimate wheel cleaner.
    Tires rubber and trim: CP Perl, not the cheapest but not expensive and can use everywhere even dress engine.
    Protection Turtle wax seal and shine. CMX close second due to price difference.

Glass: Stoner foaming glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He said he lives in Australia, over there Meguiar`s stuff is priced about what Gyeon sells for in the states. Since Meg`s has always been my go to reasonably priced brand. It just blows my mind to think about how different my product line up would be if I lived in Australia or somewhere that everything was imported. If Meguiars is that expensive over there, I can`t even imagine what Gyeon would cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    He said he lives in Australia, over there Meguiar`s stuff is priced about what Gyeon sells for in the states. Since Meg`s has always been my go to reasonably priced brand. It just blows my mind to think about how different my product line up would be if I lived in Australia or somewhere that everything was imported. If Meguiars is that expensive over there, I can`t even imagine what Gyeon would cost.
    Yeah didn’t state in his opening post but the vw Polo shoulda gave it away. Not gonna get much help here. Maybe try detail world?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    Here in Sweden the prices for Gyeon products is about the same. And we have taxes included in the prices. Don`t remember if that`s something that`s added on the prices in the Autopia shop. It`s the same prices for Carpro and Polish Angel. Sonax many products is cheaper than the US prices. But the retail products from Sonax is OFC products and also some products from the Profiline here in Sweden. Meguiars is at autoshops and detailing shops. And compared to the whole Meguiars line we have very few products from them.

Talked to a swedish Meguiars rep at a car show about a month ago. I`m interested to get the #7 and try it out on an old SS paint. They could not order it for me or any else of the products they don`t have offered here. It can be that either there are chemicals in the products that are not allowed here or the sales is thought to not go well here and also the bottle descriptions needs to be written in swedish and gets an extra cost. So it`s not so easy with any imported products if they are not designed to be sold global. No fault or bash on Meguiars from me. Just how it is here in Sweden product wise.

Think when you order Meguiars products next if you where to pay at least the double of the price and also tripple of the price. Saw one product that where the fifth of the price here IIRC it is D115 rinse free and wax in the gallon. And also at the retail price these prices is compared to. I see many sales here and on AGO now days that makes the prices even lower. Sure we have some sales here and there but far away less than here.

And it is a little strange as I think that Meguiars has a manufacture plant in the UK. We have their ceramic coating topper Top Coat M699 which is the same price as Fast Finish and comes in a 16oz bottle. That I have thinking on buying and since the HCW is sold out every where and not even the Swedish Meguiars has it in stock. And would be fun to do a little review for you guys too. The Deep Crystal Ultra Paint Coating M688 I think is only for certified detailer here. It`s their second coating and the previous where the M188. So they have been in the SiO2 business for some time outside of the US strangely. TiO2 they use a small amount in the Ultimate liquid wax. Don`t know why they don`t offering the coating or at least the Top Coat in the US . Since they have the product and the coatings has been very popular. Just look at the HCW and how good that seems to be. They have also just released the Ultimate Snow Foam in the EU. And some discontinued products is offered here too as Meguiars Wash+.

Otherwise we don`t have so much of US brands. A few products from Poorboy`s the glazes and Adam`s have quite a good offering here with their own webshop and Collinite and Mothers and Chemical Guys has also good offerings from their lines. The same with them that the prices is around the double of the price. And also some of the Ultima line which I have a few products from and like them a lot. I have been on the shop where I buy it from why they don`t have the new versions of many of their products. It`s still the solvent based products as UPGP and Interior protectant and the Plastic and Trim protectant. Seems like they bought up the old versions when they switched to the water based ones. The Ultima Interior Schampo Gel is a top notch product which I like very much.

To the OP. Look up if you can get the Finish Kare 1000p Hi-temp paste wax. Fk1000p will get you many applications and has a good price here in Sweden so maybe you can get it at a good price too. That`s a little sad drawback with most SiO2 based products which you get many applications from but the shelf life is not so long if you only have a car or two. Solvent based products like paste waxes/sealants stay fresh for many years. So some products it`s more worth in the longrun to buy the smaller products. As coating lite products like Gyeon CanCoat and Carpro Lite where you get up to 10 applications plus minus some. And they last on the paint more than 6 months. With 4 applications you are up to 2 years and even longer many times and definitely with Gyeon Primer Polish and Carpro Essence as primers they last very long. CanCoat has quite a good shelf life as what I have heard and Carpro Lite is too new to know how it is. But if you only have 1 car I think that it`s getting too old before you use it up. The same is it with some liquid sealants. So you can go with a topper and use as often as possible and if it`s able to be used so. If you where to go with CQUK 3.0 and 2 layers and maybe Essence as primer. You will get over 2 years with good maintance. And a 30ml bottle will be great for your Polo and maybe even the wheels. Sure there are cheaper options but you use up all of the product and get an easy car to wash and it looks great. I have used Gyeon Wet Coat and Carpro Hydro2 lite and Sonax Spray and Seal on some cars as the only protection. With an off label use where you spray it on with a spray or two on wet paint per panel and wipe it in and PW rinsed off thoroughly or a strong water pressure from the hose. A 500ml bottle will reach you a year easy and a 1L bottle up to 2 years. So the jump up to the CQUK coating is not much more. Just a more thorough prep work with a coating. Then you always benefits with a thorough prep work. But sometimes it`s not works with time and all. So a decon wash and clay and use something like a spray on rinse off product is an easy way to go with.

The problem is often when get cought in the testing different kind of products. Then the budget gets easy blown away LOL. Also sometimes it can be worth to buy a knowned and tried product in the higher price range. Like polishes and pads where you can get products on the cheaper prices which dust a lot and are hard to remove and also don`t cut enough and finishing as good as you want to. Pads that shreds and wear out too fast. Here I would go with the more known products. Than if you get unlucky and gets you more work and you may be doing it once again and get new products that time.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, phatrs, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been off work the entire summer from my "real" job. So, I`ve detailed a bunch of cars. In doing so, I`ve shopped around for some cheaper stuff that wouldn`t lack the quality. But would give me an advantage on saving money.
    Glass cleaner: Sprayaway- Advanced Auto $4, currently $2 a can.
    Degreaser: SuperClean-$5.99 at WalMart. I use it for carpets, wheels, engines.
    Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine- $9.97 at WalMart. Best bang for your buck on a shine.
    Meguiars Fast Finish- usually found for under $15 at WalMart and Advanced Auto.
    Advanced Auto also has specials on most of their detailing brands. When you buy one at regular price you can get any one for 50% off.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I just saw you live in Australia. My suggestion would be to go on Amazon and look up these products and see how much they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxManRonnie View Post
    I have been off work the entire summer from my "real" job. So, I`ve detailed a bunch of cars. In doing so, I`ve shopped around for some cheaper stuff that wouldn`t lack the quality. But would give me an advantage on saving money.
    Glass cleaner: Sprayaway- Advanced Auto $4, currently $2 a can.
    Degreaser: SuperClean-$5.99 at WalMart. I use it for carpets, wheels, engines.
    Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine- $9.97 at WalMart. Best bang for your buck on a shine.
    Meguiars Fast Finish- usually found for under $15 at WalMart and Advanced Auto.
    Advanced Auto also has specials on most of their detailing brands. When you buy one at regular price you can get any one for 50% off.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I just saw you live in Australia. My suggestion would be to go on Amazon and look up these products and see how much they are.
    Thanks WaxManRonnie. The Meguairs Fast Finish sounds like a very interesting product: although they say it’s lasts up to a year and can be used instead of a wax or polymer sealant I’m thinking it would be great on top of a coating of wax.

Cheapest I can find locally is US$27 but I don’t mind spending that much on a once a year product.

Amazon recently launched in Australia but delivery fees make everything equal to or greater than the store prices.

What I don’t understand is why car cleaning products are 5 times more expensive than household cleaning products, taking APC as an example.

Ben
    Current: ‘19 VW Golf R
    Past: ‘05 RS 225 Cup
    Ben
    Melbourne/Australia

2015 VW Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Post Thanks / Like

It must be the shipping cost to Australia that makes detailing products cost more than household cleaners. I too was going to suggest Meguires as a “budget” option. Shame it costs so much there. Australia does a lot of business with China so you may be able to buy on Alibaba and get a lower shipping rate as many decent detailing products are sold there. I don’t know if you have to pay customs charges or not, but it is worth looking in to.
    Likes phatrs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phatrs View Post
    The Meguairs Fast Finish sounds like a very interesting product...they say it’s lasts up to a year and can be used instead of a wax or polymer sealant I’m thinking it would be great on top of a coating of wax...
    DISCLAIMER: I don`t really know from Ultimate Fast Finish; I`ve never used it. That said..

Beware any durability claims that are worded "...lasts UP TO a year." Such a description is actually meaningless since even Souveran, or some leaves-stuff-behind QD, can last *up to* a year depending on circumstances (like a closed, climate-controlled garage).

And just from what I`ve read about UFF here at Autopia, I dunno about putting it *on top of* a wax. Lots of products don`t bond to waxes; it`s waxes that can usually be applied over top of other things (not the other way around).

OK, back to posts by people who know something about Ultimate Fast Finish!

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Accumulator. A timely reminder for me to read the description before applying any product.

Ben
    Current: ‘19 VW Golf R
    Past: ‘05 RS 225 Cup
    Ben
    Melbourne/Australia

2015 VW Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Post Thanks / Like

After using boutique products for years, mostly Zaino I`ve decided to only buy locally or from Amazon for my new truck.
    I`ve already bought TW S&S. Is the TW Ice detailer a good topper?
    Is the Mothers clay bar a worthy local purchase. I`ve always used clay magic, but it`s gotten pricey. Any suggestions for a bar or even a mitt? Looking at the nanoskin mitt.
    Eagle One all wheel and tire.
    I`ve got some Zaino and Duragloss car wash. Probably go with gold wash or Gyeon Bathe and Geyon Prep to remove the dealer wax. Is 50/50 isoprop a worthy cheap alternative?
    I`ve got a foam cannon on the way from Amazon.
    What about cheap quality hand sprayers?
    What am I missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tul9033 View Post
    After using boutique products for years, mostly Zaino I`ve decided to only buy locally or from Amazon for my new truck.
    Is the Mothers clay bar a worthy local purchase. I`ve always used clay magic, but it`s gotten pricey. Any suggestions for a bar or even a mitt? Looking at the nanoskin mitt.
    I`ve got some Zaino and Duragloss car wash. Probably go with gold wash or Gyeon Bathe and Geyon Prep to remove the dealer wax. Is 50/50 isoprop a worthy cheap alternative?
    What am I missing?
    I used mothers clay (200mg kit) and work well. I’d guess a medium clay.... I’d recommend the Griots synthetic sponge. If you want to keep local I think AUto zone and advanced auto sell it. Worked awesome good size.

For wheels and also paint Decon... Meguiars ultimate wheel cleaner or eagle one black and plasti dip wheel cleaner. Both have iron removers that turn purple. And for interiors I love Meguiars interior quick detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

After using boutique products for years, mostly Zaino I`ve decided to only buy locally or from Amazon for my new truck...
    Note that Zaino has a definite "signature look" that might be hard to duplicate with something else.
    IIRC, others here have used both in combo with good results...or was it some other ICE product?!? Do the dreaded SEARCH and check out the big TW S&S thread, I bet that`ll answer all your Qs about the ICE lineup.
    I for one won`t use the mitts/towels, but others sure like `em. I found the Mother`s clay to be about the same as (at least one generation of) Griot`s, i.e., "medium", nothing wrong with it.

I`d never expect IPA to strip LSPs and modern Car Wash stuff generally doesn`t affect it much either. FWIW I suspect you`ll find Meguiar`s Gold Class (which isn`t nearly good enough for me) pretty disappointing after the Zaino and DuraGloss. But yeah, I suspect that products from Geyon (which seem to please everyone who tries them) are a really pricey way to go.
    Others seem to like them, but I do wonder what you`re planning to do with it and why.
    Do you mean the kind you pump up then just press the trigger to spray? If on a budget, I dunno...(I don`t use those either, got one and/but use it for household stuff instead).
    What am I missing?
    Got everything you need for Correction? How you gonna wash?

I guess the thing that has me scratching my head is why you`re buying some pretty pricey stuff that I`d have no use for/need of while considering the price diffs on Clay Bars to be significant. I`m not criticizing or tsk-tsking or anything, just thinking that if I were being extra-frugal about this stuff I`d probably do it differently (which sure doesn`t make some other approach wrong!).

Post Thanks / Like

What am I missing?
    If you have a PW with lower than 1.6gpm. I would get a 1.1mm orifice in the foamcannon. This will make it produce a more even and thicker foam and less product used too.

If you getting a new car I would do a finishing polish step on it. That`s where you get the high gloss from. Then maintain it as good as possible. Turtle Wax Power Max wash or something like that. You can dilute from ph neutral to slightly alkaline as a prep wash soap. I`m wondering if they still use the transportation wax on new cars. Maybe some still does. Optimum Power Clean straight seems to be very effective to desolve some waxes and sealants and could be an option to spray on and wipe it in before rinse it off. Think that something like the IPA based Gyeon Prep would be to weak to desolve the wax. A wax and grease remover would be a price effective way to go. Gtechnic Panel Wipe is a strong one that are based on 2 petroleum destillates. But also at a higher cost than what a wax and grease remover already is based on useally. And the finishing polish will definitely remove any waxes remaining.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information