Post Thanks / Like

carnauba compatibility

`61 Cadillac with original black lacquer paint, 26,000 orig. miles, garage queen. After its annual Springtime major detail with the M7 treatment etc. I topped it with P21, for which I was chastised here. I have since become a believer in Pinnacle Souverain, using it on my other garage queen with great results. Now preparing the `61 for a local show, planning to clean it off with Pinnacle Crystal, and top with a coat or two of the Souverain. My question is whether I should expect any issues with putting the Souverain on top of whatever is left of the P21S after 3 months. The car is garaged, often covered, and never washed with water. Nonetheless, I assume the wax would be pretty thin by this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: carnauba compatibility

What was the chastisement about?

Post Thanks / Like

For using P21S as contrasted with some of the other choices, like Souveran. I have to agree with the criticism that it made my other garage queen, with metallic champagne paint, artificaially glittery.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...I`ve only ever heard people praise p21s. This is the first I`ve ever heard any negative about it. And, the weird part is, it always seems to be compared to Souveran.

Post Thanks / Like

I like P21, but I do like Souveran better. There should be no problems putting one over the other. Before the next coat a paint something like Blackfire Paint Cleaner may be appropriate to bring out the best in that Caddy.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, the criticism I was getting on p21S was that it didn`t last very long compared to others, and that it made some colors an artificial glow, although this was prefaced with an acknowledgement that we all have our opinions. Anyway, I`m out of the p21S, so Souveran is what is going on now. Souveran is also what the prior owner used when he showed the car and won national senior badges at AACA and Cadillac-LaSalle Club events.

Post Thanks / Like

How long ago was this disagreement? Seems like a flashback to the early 2000s.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m one of the people who isn`t a fan of the p21s wax. As Sevillian noted, compared to Souvern it`s a much "brighter" LSP with less depth. I utterly *hated* how t looked on my Jag compared to the Souveran, changed the look of the paint far more than I ever expected.

Sevillian- The only reason I`d wonder about the Souveran/P21s compatibility is the way Souveran has messed up other (previously applied) LSPs including Collinite. I`d try a test-spot and find out first-hand, for certain.

But note that the durability of Souveran may very well be even worse than the P21S. I basically redo Souveran every time I wash the car.

Thread Information