Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product for maintaining polished aluminum wheels?

Yup,all mentioned are "polishes", not formulated for protection. Personally, I apply a couple coats of Finish Kare 1000P to mine twice a year. The Mequiar`s pure paste wax or Collinite pure paste wax will work as well.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll try the mothers polish I have handy.

Would I be able to seal them with Collinite 845?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

​Yes, suggest two coats.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried both the Adams metal polish and the Webril wipes on my uncoated polished aluminum wheels. I acquired my wheels in damaged and oxidized condition years ago and spent time sanding and buffing them with various grits of sandpaper and cotton buffs and bar compounds. It was a lot of work but at that time I had more time than money.

I would recommend the Adams polish, it comes in 2 parts. The first part (#1) will polish out minor imperfections and oxidation and the second part (#2) will polish the surface to a brilliant shine that rivals chrome. The only polish that I have tried that comes close to the Adams #2 is Mothers Billet but I would give the edge to Adams. Now that the wheels are fully polished they only require a light polish now and then to maintain the brilliance.

The Webril wipes were OK for removing the black oxidation residue from the polishing operation but I liked using MF towels better even though the black residue stains them pretty badly. Your experience might be different.

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- I hope the 845 lasts a lot longer for you than it ever has for me...no more durable options on the shelf?
    Likes Striker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Striker- I hope the 845 lasts a lot longer for you than it ever has for me...no more durable options on the shelf?
    I have- sonax polymer net shield, the collinite 845 and an old bottle of megs # 21 sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- I`m not familiar with the Sonax or the #21, maybe the 845 is your best choice after all. BUT, OTOT/IIRC, some people do think the PNS is really something...

Post Thanks / Like

Rubbed some mother’s metal polish. No luck. White oxidization dots still present

IMG_1010.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn`t Mother`s make a bare/polished aluminum-specific polish called Billet?? If I had bare aluminum wheels, I would consider this. And , yes, it is (a lot) pricier than their OTC Aluminum Polish.

Simichrome is an excellent metal polish, BUT it is not much of a metal cleaner. I have used Optimum Polymer Technology`s Metal Polish on chrome and stainless steel trim, but I have no experience with it on aluminum car rims (bicycles I do. See below). I have used it on aluminum diamond/tread plate. What I like about OPT Metal Polish is it is a pretty good cleaner and the protection it leaves behind.
    Another metal polish that I like is MAAS Metal Polish that I found at Ace Hardware of all places. More polish than cleaner, similar to Simichrome.

Any idea what is causing these white spots to appear??
    True Story:
    I clean my car washing wash media (bug sponge, microfiber noodle pad) with full strength Super Clean (The Purple Stuff). I happen to spray some of this cleaner on a pad in my garage, not noticing my old Schwinn Voyager SP touring bike with polished aluminum rims nearby. The over-spray got on the rear rim that I did not notice until I did my yearly detailing of this bike some time later (Yup, OCD me!). Needless to say, the rim and aluminum spanner supports were spot-etched from this strong cleaner and nothing will remove the spots. Live and learn.

Also, if you find some hand cleaner that gets out the black residue from polishing aluminum, let me know. I use Lava bar soap and Fast Orange Smooth (non-pumice) with an old tooth brush as good cleaners. Another cleaner is Dawn Dish Soap, but my significant other absolutely will NOT let me wash dishes with dirty black hands. (Wonder why?)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Also, if you find some hand cleaner that gets out the black residue from polishing aluminum, let me know. I use Lava bar soap and Fast Orange Smooth (non-pumice) with an old tooth brush as good cleaners. Another cleaner is Dawn Dish Soap, but my significant other absolutely will NOT let me wash dishes with dirty black hands. (Wonder why?)
    Two words for your black hands, Wear Gloves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Two words for your black hands, Wear Gloves.
    I HATE having to wear gloves, but it is more of a safety thing than a cosmetic purpose. My hands sweat in them and I "prefer" the dexterity and feel of bare skin.
    But the Super Clean is brutal on my hands, as is almost any All-Purpose Cleaner. OPT`s Power Clean make my hands look like prunes and feel like dried, old leather. Who knows how much car-care chemicals I have absorbed thru my hands` skin over the many years even as a detailing hobbyist. (My significant other would say that is not a side effect of such exposure for my OCD and sometimes "irrational" (AKA crazy) car-care behavior! Rough hands, maybe...Stupidity and lack of common sense, NO!)
    I know health-care professionals and food service workers are required to wear them ALL the time, so my "resistance is futile" (so says The Glove-Wearing Borg).
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I got the spots out last night. But it was super labour intensive.

It may have been the acid that I use that eats surface rust (metal prep product) and not being careful.

I will look into mothers billet. I also coated them with sonax polymer net shield

Post Thanks / Like

I found that Wolfgang metal sealant does a good job and lasts quite some time on bare metal. I use it on my Borla cat back stainless steel exhaust tips and mufflers to seal them as it performs so good.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- Glad to hear you got rid of those spots!

It`ll be interesting to see how long the Sonax PNS lasts.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire had a metal sealant. I think it is acrylic based and lasted a long time. I think they still make it. I used to apply it after cleaning/polishing with the OPT metal polish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information