Post Thanks / Like

Help with my faded convertible top.

2008 Saturn Sky with a black cloth top. When I got the car I used 303 convertible on it, then I got semi cheap and moved to 303 cleaner. I always used a boars hair brush, then I`d follow up with their fabric guard. It looked great for awhile. But, I haven`t "cleaned" it in about 1.5 years outside of just a spray of whatever soap I`m using and a quick MF wipe down. It`s starting to fade pretty good and has some markings on it. I gave it a good scrubbing with 303 multi surface, and once it dried it hardly looked any different at all. I know 303 and Raggtop make products specifically for convertible tops. But I don`t know if they`ll do much since it`s fading. Googling last year turned up some restoration color products, but they`re for vinyl. I bought one about 11 months ago thinking it was for cloth. It was for vinyl, and while it looked great for a day, it looked bad again a a few days later. I would love to get it clean clean, and make the black look close to how it was when I bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with my faded convertible top.

Sorry I can`t really help with restoration tips. I wanted to put this out there though. I`m a 303 fabric protectant guy, but my tops see very little sun. Ragg top has really high quality uv protectant in it compared to 303. So if your top sees lots of sun I would chose ragg top. This came from Mike Phillips during conversation with him when he was here at Rupes USA here in Denver.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Raggtop makes convertible tops for vehicles and their own product line has always given me outstanding results on the zillion convertibles in the Pacific Northwest..

My process with all of these tops is pressure wash it carefully, then,wash it with their cleaner and a soft brush.
    Then, pressure wash rinse it all off. Then use the Mytee HP60 Extractor with hot water to rinse again, and extract everything all off..

After it is dried, then spray a couple coats of their Protectant on it. All colors of tops have come out looking great and they bead water for a long time..

Have never liked any 303 product.. They just don`t perform to the level I need my work to be..

In the rainy Pacific Northwest WA., 303 products just run off the next day..
    Perhaps they work great where it doesn`t rain ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Determining if you have a vinyl top material or a fabric top material and having the correct type top cleaner for that specific material is crucial. RAGG top makes a kit for both types.
    I`ve only used the fabric kit, as that is what I found at a thrift shop for $4.00 (brand new about 12 years ago) Only have done two different vehicles with a fabric top (Porsche 911 and Mustang GT).
    Worked OK , but the Mustang was done in early December in Wisconsin. I needed to heat the top up with a hair dryer in a garage to cure the protectant.

Not sure what will happen if it is too hot outside. I would advise doing the spray outside as the protectant spray is potent stuff BUT NOT if it is windy or the air is filled with debris, like cottonwood dander or lawn cutting debris. (early morning or late afternoon when it is less windy and cooler)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I helped my friend dye the black cloth top on his 1925 Rolls Royce Twenty several years ago. I believe we used Renovo products. We spent several hours scrubbing it, and let it dry for a week, then applied the dye with foam paint brushes. It looked like a different car when done (If I could figure out how to post pictures here I could show a before and after). There was a run (on the side I did), but after some time in the sun it leveled out.

The best part was I got to drive the car some, but sadly this regal lady is back overseas as part of a large collection in France.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

i have had 2 convertibles. both cloth tops the second i have it it is BMW 135 convertible. I as well use Ragtop Protectant
    I use regular mitt with my wash solution when i wash the car (2 buckets etc etc)
    Then I use the Ragtop Protectant
    I have not seen any adverse effects.
    I live in MA so I rarely if any I drive the car past November (summer tires)
    No issues.

Regards

Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Renovo soft top reviver. 4.1 stars. Jeff bezos’s ex wife gives it 4.1 heavenly bodies....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information