Post Thanks / Like

Best approach to fix this hole in the clearcoat/paint?

Something kicked up on the freeway and hit the front of the car. It is not smooth because it deformed the clearcoat upwards. I want to prevent it from worsening in the future. Is putting in touch-up paint and maybe clear coat on top adequate, or would I need to enlist the services of a pro to smooth it out? Do you have an idea what it could cost? It is not worth paying $200-300 to fix this when it can happen again in the future (compared to a full bumper repaint or replacement), which is why I asked if there is a way to mend it a little bit.

I have two more divots like that on the bumper lip that clearly took out both clearcoat and paint because can see the dark gray beneath it. Thank you.

Best approach to fix this hole in the clearcoat/paint?-rafalty.jpg Best approach to fix this hole in the clearcoat/paint?-ppmrhsg.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best approach to fix this hole in the clearcoat/paint?

Dr. Colorchip would work well enough for those.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, and/but any other single-stage type of touchup paint oughta work OK too. IMO the idea is to avoid turning a little touchup into a major project, so I`d keep it simple and be prepared to say "good enough".

We`re not addressing the whole "flex additive" issue, but that shouldn`t be a problem for little fixes like that, never has been for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Agree, and/but any other single-stage type of touchup paint oughta work OK too. IMO the idea is to avoid turning a little touchup into a major project, so I`d keep it simple and be prepared to say "good enough".

We`re not addressing the whole "flex additive" issue, but that shouldn`t be a problem for little fixes like that, never has been for me.
    Thank you both for input. Unlike a typical paint chip I`ve seen where the surface is smooth and it is just a depression into the paint, the one I have is like a crater where the edges are slightly raised. So if I "fill" it in, it is going to be like a mound. I`ll look into a touch-up kit, put some paint in and some clearcoat in. It`s not really noticeable from 3 feet away. I just don`t want it to spread outward.

Post Thanks / Like

xilex- I had a much worse issue of the same type on my previous Crown Vic and...noting that it was white and that`s a forgiving color...I just filled it in with DrColorChips and did a [crappy] job of leveling it just a little with their solvent. Plenty good enough and (even on white) I`m pretty particular. The "leveling with solvent" approach is good for stuff like this IMO since the worst that can happen during the leveling is a removal of the touchup (forcing a redo) and IMO the single-stage touchup paint is fine for little jobs like this.

I`m always a little surprised how such stuff has hardly *EVER* worsened for me. I used to expect it to happen, but now I don`t even think about it. Maybe you`ll be just as lucky as I`ve been.

If some impact flexes the repaired area all bets are off and you might have to redo it, but that`s just the risk you run when touching up bumpercovers.

Thread Information