Post Thanks / Like

How’s that Lexus Caviar paint?

Usually black cars aren’t all that appealing but I saw a new ES350 F Sport in the Caviar color and it was jaw-dropping. It looks like it has a LOT of metallic flake in it and almost doesn’t even look like the base coat is black. In some lights, I want to say it is a deep, dark grey? Does this color show wash marring as quickly and easily as a typical metallic black does?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BMW M240i | Mineral White | Coral Red
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How’s that Lexus Caviar paint?

If it is like any Lexus paint, yes towel induced drying will mar the surface, but correcting will be near the medium to soft mark. I have never seen so much metallic flake or pearl flake from any other manufacturer, it is incredible. I would honestly look at another color unless you are set on it, keeping a dark colored car clean is a full time job.

Post Thanks / Like

Being in California, I think a black car is manageable. I did ok with my 3 black cars here in Florida.
    As far as black cars not being appealing, that’s of course personal preference. Look at a properly cared for black 911, say a 1993, and tell me that ain’t pure sex.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

My experiences with Lexus Jet Black paint and Metallic Black paint has always been positive..
    It is a medium to soft paint but not hard to work with in the correction phase..
    Lexus used to wet sand by hand, their paintwork between coats. I don`t know if they are still doing that today..

I have not noticed it marring any easier than any other color, unless of course, you run it through the Brown Bear car wash, etc..
    And it goes without saying, that the - Less - you touch any Black painted vehicle, the fewer things will show up on the paintwork..

I really like paint correcting Black painted vehicles, and the few Black Painted Porsche cars that I corrected, yeah, Wax Addict is 100% correct !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Henry Ford`s statement for his Model T that, "You can have any color you want, as long as its black" has morphed into "The color Black is used on vehicles to kept detailers and car-care product manufacturers in business."

I do believe that the metal flake in some of the black hues does "hide" the inevitable swirls and fine scratches in the clear coat better than a pure black. At least that was/is the marketing idea behind Ford`s Tuxedo Black Metallic used on their SUVs and trucks in response to customer concerns about such "imperfections" being visible in black vehicles.

That has been a detailing concern among professional and hobbyist detailers since this forum began: Do you charge more for detailing the color black?
    The consensus is NO, unless it is REALLY bad to begin with and should be charging by the time it takes, and not by the job.
    Do I spend more time with black? Depends on how "perfect" I want it. On a daily driver, NO. On someone else`s garage queen/show car, maybe, if they pay me for it. Then again making a bad dark-colored DD vehicle look even somewhat "better" usually has the vehicle owner ecstatic when they see it, until they take it to the high school (whatever club or sport) fund-raiser car wash or have the dealership give it a "complimentary wash".
    GB detailer

Thread Information