Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to shine up a clean, but dusty car?

My car just had a full detail, but sat outside for a couple hours yesterday and got quite a bit of dust/pollen on it. I was curious as to the proper or best way to get it clean and shiny again.
    Since the car just had a full wash and detail... it doesn’t make much sense for me to give it a full bath detail so I was thinking the best method was for me to use a waterless spray wipe. I have Poorboys waterless spray and wipe. Would it be ok for me to spray a generous amount and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth? Am I risking any damage/marring by doing this?
    After wiping down with the poorboy spray and wipe should I then go over it with a topper made specifically for ceramic coated cars as mine has been ceramic coated?
    Is this method best or am I better off giving it an all out bath?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to shine up a clean, but dusty car?

Elonheater32- While I hear some coatings are indeed quite marring-resistant, if blowing it off with compressed air (which has worked *incredibly* well on my FK1000P`ed cars) doesn`t get it off, I`d give it a full wash. But hey, I`m marring-paranoid even by Autopian standards.
    Likes tom p., Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime you touch the paint you are marring it.

Rinsing then soap/mitt is probably safest.

I would just use the spray and wipe and not lose sleep over it. I`m not as paranoid as Accumulator.
    Likes Stokdgs, wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the level of dust and pollen. If there is a light dusting, I`d do a waterless wash since coatings seem to make it easier to clean in those circumstances. Anything more it`s a bucket wash.

This time of year is frustrating since the pollen will accumulate while washing your car. I`ve lost count of the times I`ll be drying one of my vehicles only to notice it`s covered with pollen within minutes of completing a full wash.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

What Coating was applied to it ? Was this done by a professional Detailer ? How long ago ? What color is the paintwork ?

I have had a lot of Black painted vehicles and Detailed hundreds more..
    The best thing you can ever do to it is to touch it as little as possible..

And when you wash it very carefully, with a good soap and a good mitt that you are looking at to make sure you don`t rub something stuck in it on the paint, you want to rinse it all off and use air to blow as much water off so you don`t have to touch it as much for final drying..

And after washing it, using a Quick Detailer, or something like Optimum Opti-Seal, etc.,, for a little lubrication to help avoid scratching, that will be ok..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The main reason I posted was because I thought it was silly especially this time of the year when the pollen is horrible..... right after a wash..... the car gets a bit dusty and then you have to do a complete full wash again.
    Although, it might be a bit absurd to do a full wash right after one has been done.... I do not want to risk marring the paint. At the same time; don`t you risk marring the paint just as much doing a proper wash over a waterless spray and wipe given that the car is just "dusty/covered in pollen"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think it depends on the level of dust and pollen. If there is a light dusting, I`d do a waterless wash since coatings seem to make it easier to clean in those circumstances. Anything more it`s a bucket wash.

This time of year is frustrating since the pollen will accumulate while washing your car. I`ve lost count of the times I`ll be drying one of my vehicles only to notice it`s covered with pollen within minutes of completing a full wash.
    The ceramic coating was done about a year ago and the color of the car is Papaya Spark..... it`s a metallic orange.... roof is black.

Post Thanks / Like

Dust is from storing indoors. Dirt is from outdoors. To be safe, a rinseless wash at minimum. But you might get away with a waterless wash if your paint is hard or your tolerance to marring is high.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Elonheater32 -- Nice color !
    Its really up to what technique is used in either scenario..

When I wash any vehicle, I always pressure wash it down before I ever start the soapy water wash and rinse.. I want to remove as much surface gunk as possible before I start the very careful wash with soap, mitts, etc...

I think pollen is kind of sticky and moist; it will not want to come off as easy as dry dirt, dust, etc.. But at the same time, if it is on really bad, it may attract more dirt that sticks to it because that pollen is moist and sticky, no ?

In my experiences, a pressure washer pre-wash, followed by a good lubricating soap, with good mitts, and lots of care using the right techniques, has been been more paint-friendly than the other option..

Just be careful, try to not do this on hot paint, use shade as much as possible, if you decide to do rinseless, like with something like Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine, etc., that you use plenty of it, and change the media and the water you are doing the washing part with very frequently..

Do all the lower panels last, and do not use lower panel media anywhere else after using it down there.. More gunk seems to collect on the lower panels of vehicles in all the vehicles I have ever washed..

You will be fine !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

If you do it right, you can wash for years without marring the paint enough that anybody could see it without some awfully intensive inspection techniques. I will say that "doing it right" is a pretty tall order, but it absolutely can be done. Just avoid pressing dirt against the paint and moving it under pressure, rather try for "dislodge and flush". If you see dirt in the rinse bucket that`s a clue that something`s very wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I just use a QD or waterless. (Gasps). I like speed shine for pollen/dust removal.... real slick. I spray on thick remove with hi gsm fluffy pile MF with light/ no pressure. Slightly saturate MF with speed shine. I follow up with some Merlin’s mix to add shine. Seems to work good.

If you are super worried about marring though, foam cannon first, rinse and then 2 bucket or a good quality RW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator’s way is by far the best way I’ve ever washed although it is rather involved. I’d rather have it be involved then have to polish though.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think that my technique is fairly quick and easy. I spend *infinitely* more time doing "the stuff nobody bothers with every time" than I do washing the parts that show. Yeah, it uses a lot of water and shampoo mix, no way around that, but unlike clearcoat I can just buy more shampoo, and water usage isn`t an issue in my area.

It always seems that washing the body proper is almost just a matter of walking around the car a few times while moving my arms.

Maybe the boosted water pressure explains it, but the BHB step doesn`t even require much rinsing (of the BHB ) most of the time, the foamgun flushes it clean as I wash. By the time I switch to mitts all the "big stuff" is long gone and thus that part of it goes fast too.

Bill D- Heh heh, and here I think that *your* variation sounds tough and time-consuming...all those mitts...I think I`d go nuts, mitts are a lot harder for me than BHBs for the heavy lifting (without marring), although the pressure washer might change that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes using multiple mitts can be time consuming but I’ve done it for so long I don’t mind it as much as I used to.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I still think that my technique is fairly quick and easy. I spend *infinitely* more time doing "the stuff nobody bothers with every time" than I do washing the parts that show. Yeah, it uses a lot of water and shampoo mix, no way around that, but unlike clearcoat I can just buy more shampoo, and water usage isn`t an issue in my area.

It always seems that washing the body proper is almost just a matter of walking around the car a few times while moving my arms.

Maybe the boosted water pressure explains it, but the BHB step doesn`t even require much rinsing (of the BHB ) most of the time, the foamgun flushes it clean as I wash. By the time I switch to mitts all the "big stuff" is long gone and thus that part of it goes fast too.

Bill D- Heh heh, and here I think that *your* variation sounds tough and time-consuming...all those mitts...I think I`d go nuts, mitts are a lot harder for me than BHBs for the heavy lifting (without marring), although the pressure washer might change that.
    When I hand bucket wash I use about 8 wash mitts one bucket. How do you wash your cars All for better technic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information