Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to shine up a clean, but dusty car?

I`d use a rinseless wash mixed up fairly strong in a spray bottle and wipe with a MF. Not advised for heavy dirt. Or you can get the Mothers spray wash at Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    When I hand bucket wash I use about 8 wash mitts one bucket. How do you wash your cars All for better technic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8 mitts is good but you need to have a foam gun and be spraying it constantly over the area you are whisking with a mitt. I personally don’t even use a bucket

Accumulator has a write up about his non marring foam gun technique somewhere on this forum.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is truly just dusty and you want minimal contact - give it a quick foam and rinse - blow it dry, a LSP of your choice and presto. When my nice weather only car comes out of hibernation (come on mother nature, 6 inches of snow last Sunday?), I`ll give it a rinseless wash with Garry Dean Forever Rinseless and call it a day. If the car has a coating or a good sealant, that should do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

I can often get away with just a Home Touchless as per jatleson`s sugestion, but IME it requires a pretty good LSP, and I still can`t bring myself to LSP or otherwise touch the paint unless I`ve done a full-blown regular (my definition) wash.

I need a pressure washer and compressor-driven equipment (Lonn Cleaning Gun, Tornador Black, air nozzle to dry) to to a Home Touchless. While much quicker than my regular washes, the last time I did it on the Tahoe it still took well over an hour and of course it doesn`t get the out-of-sight areas clean.

Bill D- Yeah, my buckets are basically just a repository for my wash media, a place to keep `em soaking in shampoo mix. The Rinse Buckets are basically unnecessary, but they give me some peace of mind since our vehicles can get awfully dirty between washes.

IIRC, I never did really write up a decent version of my current Wash Technique

Thumbnail version: foamgun output sprayed at the point of wash medium-to-paint contact, wash medium moved in short, interrupted "jiggling" motions (to facilitate dirt being flushed away rather than trapped in the medium and so any marring that does occur is short and random), multiple gentle passes rather than fewer more aggressive ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to shine up a clean, but dusty car?

You did write up one although I think you said it wasn’t a final version or something along those lines.

Tapatalk doesn’t seem to allow me to post links but the one I saw is dated 3/29/2004

Post Thanks / Like

I think there`s a somewhat updated version at the end of that thread, back in `04 I had just moved on from the "mitt-balloon" method (talk about labor-intensive!). Eh, I guess I spent so much time figuring out (my version) of the proper Technique that I never wanted to put more hours into writing it up

I still dunno just how practical it`d be for most other people, but it sure works for the two of us at least.

Post Thanks / Like

I admit sometimes I don’t do the balloon-mitt part but I always wash in short jiggling motions. I really think it saved me a couple of times from swirls

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I admit sometimes I don’t do the balloon-mitt part but I always wash in short jiggling motions. I really think it saved me a couple of times from swirls
    The Balloon-Mitt is a PIA, especially with sheepskin (which I consider the best mitt material for must conventional washing).

And !YES! on the jiggling. Marring simply happens...sooner or later...but seeing (wash-induced) scratches that are inches long or "spiderweb swirls", well...that should never be. The way my Jag got scratched up genuinely makes me wonder whether the guy who washed it was trying to [mess] with me so I`d never come back to his father`s business, or OTOH whether he really is that, uhm...challenged.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I use nothing but sheepskin and it is a pain to do the balloon method that’s why I omit it.

Hmm I know you must not have been very pleased if that guy purposely marred your Jag. That’s just so unprofessional to say the least!

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- In all fairness, I can`t say that the damage was definitely intentional; the thoughts and actions of others sometimes beggar belief and leave me incredulous.

The whole situation with the Jag got very weird on me, right at a time when medical stuff needed prioritizing. Funny how "pals" (scare-quotes increasingly intentional) can be some times. Second time that`s happened with that car (previous time was when I abruptly had to deal with my father`s passing/estate)...gee, how long does it take to phone/email/whatever when something crucial needs communicated? If nothing else, I expect a modicum of customer service from people who`ve been given, and who`ve agreed upon and expressed appreciation for, a literal blank-check agreement....never mind when those people are supposedly my "friends".

If not for the egregious actions of others, in direct violation of what`d been clearly discussed and agreed upon, that 20Kmile `85, with so much sentimental value to me, would still be in absolute showroom condition, but instead it`s a [freakin`] irreparable disaster inside and out.

Eh, sorry for the rant, but I`ve *NEVER* [messed] with anybody, nor anybody`s stuff, that way in my life, it`s literally a matter of honor.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally get finding out folks are just so-called friends after all and how honor ought to be important. Sometimes it seems it might be better to just have a very *very* small number of people you really can call friends. I can rant quite a bit about that bur that’s just too OT for this thread let alone this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    .. just too OT for this thread let alone this forum.
    Heh heh, yeah...and/but we are on the same page again

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to play it safe and did the foam cannon, rinse, wash with sio2 McKees 2 bucket, blow dry and then got the rest off with a plush microfiber, and then did a wipe down with IGL Premier. Dressed the tires with McKees tire. Cannot stress how easy the IGL was as I was a bit worried about trying a new product.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Elonheater32- I`m confident that was the smart decision! I bet it looks great now.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a waterless wash

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information