Post Thanks / Like

Sacrilageous Q`s on coating specificity

So... is there or has anyone ever attempted to use a wheel coating on paint? I mean it`s not unheard of to use certain waxes on plastic trim or glass, but what about a coating?
    I have a lot of leftover of a wheel coating and wondered what would happen if I applied some to my cars paint? How would it differ from a `paint specific` coating in terms of application/protection. Specific pdct is kami Stance.
    Any thoughts?

This is just for fun & learning, so please just humor me
    I`ll probably end up trading or giving it up to someone on here but I`m kinda curious. I may try it on my cars rear hatch as it is a small surface and gets quite dirty easily...

Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sacrilageous Q`s on coating specificity

I think there was a minor scandal here some years ago when someone stated that all the GTechniq coatings were the same product in different bottles (I think it was a disgruntled former rep who made the statement). Whether that was true at the time or true now, I don`t know.

Optimum claims that at least some of their specific coatings are engineered to bond to specific surfaces--I think particularly the glass coating. They do have a specific metal coating in the pro line...but they don`t have a specific wheel coating, AFAIK.

Since most wheels have paint that is at least very similar to the paint on the rest of the car, I don`t think you should have any trouble at all using that coating on your paint. Full disclosure, I have never used and Kamikaze coatings and don`t know anything about them. My only thought is that possibly for the wheel application, the coating is "thicker" to provide a higher film build for the wheel application, which may make it more likely to streak or high spot on the paint (where it might not be as easily noticed on wheels). This would be similar to the supposed difference between the old Opti-Guard and Opti-Coat 2.0, where the 2.0 (which was a consumer product) was supposedly thinned down more to make the application less finicky, resulting in less film build than the pro product.
    Likes jojo69 liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t be surprised if the wheel coatings aren`t the same as paint coatings since most factory wheels are clearcoated.

Post Thanks / Like

Follow-up what it`s worth:
    Prepped (basic decon/wash/polish/IPA) rear hatch door and rear bumper.
    Applied some McKees v1.0 coating (donated from fellow member) for bumper and Kamikaze stance for rear hatch area.
    Kamikaze stance applied just like with wheels: easy. Did 2 coats as suggested. McK`s felt more like as you apply, the coating flashes very quickly, different than Kamikaze stance which has a more long work time.
    It has been 3 weeks.

Impressions:
    When pressure washing or hosing down rear, the Kamikaze portion of the hatch reacts more like a freshly coated or waxed section (beeds well despite dirt) vs bumper/McK`s coating. Both look good in terms of depth etc, I honestly can`t tell much of a difference, but in terms of `performance`, I would give it to Stance for now.
    Several factors may affect this though: bumper will be more exposed to contamination just from being lower than rear hatch portion. And only 1 coat was used for McK`s.

Bottom line: for my purposes, I may just experiment more with Kamikaze stance on the rest of the car`s paint (hood needs lots of love)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Likes lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We will probably never know the truth but I don’t think a wheel coating on paint would hurt anything.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I too have more PBL Wheel coating (2 bottles) than I can possibly use in the next few years as an enthusiast... and you, OP Sir, have now peaked a new interest for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same. I’d even bet it work on plastic too. The give no info on why the difference just market different.

Cold medicines just the same. Nextime in need look at all the different options and check out active ingredients all the same. Just gives you reason to purchase others.

I had a 50ml bottle of CQUK3 and was going to the rims but heard they ad a sheen (wheels are satin) so ended up buying a 15ml bottle of GT rim shield.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Things like dlux for instance do not have an advertised contact angle for water. Where classic is advertised 110. Hard to say that it would be. I’m sure something like crystalline structure is different because it’s made for a different application

All this stuff could be speculation or it all could just be the same lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information