Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sacrificial Layer and Prolonged Acceptable Appearance

The Sacrificial Layer, especially regarding QD`s, spray waxes, and some waterless wash products (pick your poison), are SO important to not only prolonging your underlying LSP (which is the first thing that may come to mind) but also in prolonging your car`s appearance through the week or two.

Some folks have talked about LSP`s that have a self-cleaning ability, but I`ve never found this to be the case, even with a coating, compared to just a good old layer of a high-quality spritz.

The attached picture is my car, in direct sun, after 5 days of commuting, and more importantly, 2 days of rain - in both cases putting the car up for the night wet after driving in rain. She looks decent, right? Autopians will notice that my tire dressing has washed off, and that bottom black plastic piece is dirty, but this is "acceptable", and definately the "nicest in the parking lot" condition.

What are some of your favorite products for sacrificial layer?

The Sacrificial Layer and Prolonged Acceptable Appearance-cleanafterrains1.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Sacrificial Layer and Prolonged Acceptable Appearance

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    What are some of your favorite products for sacrificial layer?

Primarily just IUDJ used as a Drying Aid. Although I use OCW regularly on the A8 and UQW/D156 on exterior plastics/rubber whether Trim Sealant-ed or not.

Though I gotta admit I don`t really think of it as adding much of a Sacrificial Layer, it does ramp up the looks a little bit. Kinda surprised me that there`s a discernible diff, but my wife and I have both noticed it. Perhaps my *VERY* infrequent LSPing (and increasingly infrequent washing too) might factor in, back when I was doing this stuff every week or two I doubt I would`ve noticed anything, but then I was simply doing more Detailing back then.

EDIT: And FWIW, WaxAddict, IMO your Mustang looks just fine and anybody who`d "clean it up" without a specific reason would just be doing it because he wanted to. I myself would probably just do the wheels/tires and maybe blast off the lower plastics/wells with IUDJ and/or distilled water through the Tornador and blow those areas dry...If I just had to do something.

Post Thanks / Like

My current favorite sacrificial layer is IGL Premier. I was hoping Mothers CMX might replace it but nope.
    Likes acuRAS82, Loach, m54daboll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, thanks, yeah the car as represented in that picture is "fine". No touching needed yet. A quick roundabout on the tires with dressing and I`ll get another week or two out of it, pending the awful March pollen. Another nice thing about having paint dialed-in is that it "shines through" the dust and road film, to some degree, and looks cleaner than most cars with the same level of dirtiness.

rlmccarty2000, that`s a bit pricey.. but how often do you apply?

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, thanks, yeah the car as represented in that picture is "fine". No touching needed yet. A quick roundabout on the tires with dressing and I`ll get another week or two out of it, pending the awful March pollen. Another nice thing about having paint dialed-in is that it "shines through" the dust and road film, to some degree, and looks cleaner than most cars with the same level of dirtiness.

Premier is pricey but it lasts 10x longer than Reload type products. Reapply around the 4 month mark if it sits outside 24/7. If garaged part time it should last a year.

The March pollen hit me today. Really pissed me off. I was coating my car and as soon as I wiped the pollen off my car it was back. This was in my garage! This is the second or third blast of pollen in the last 4 weeks. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Ech20 mixed with Clutch. I usually use as drying aid and then dry once a month. Will change once coated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes m54daboll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m liking Duragloss 931/932 in QD ratio as a drying aid

Post Thanks / Like

If you are a professional detailer or know a professional detailer in your area that is approved by IGL they can get you premier at half price. The detailer pricing is very good for premier. Agree its a good product
    Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think my favorite sacrificial layer is Shine Supply Wet Detailer. It legit adds a ton of protection (2-3 months work) for almost no effort. I guess I also like Shine Supply Ride Shine, which has a bit of carnauba in it, but its not really made for protection. I also use Rocket Wax Detail Spray for maintenance wipedowns during the week, but I don`t think that even has any wax in it so not really a sacrificial layer.
    Michael Daboll

-1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as the car isn`t caked in mud, Duragloss Rinseless car wash has enough Aquawax content to last a couple weeks on bare paint. And you can never go wrong with Z8 for that extra pop.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve usually got a fair amount of lsp on the cars but add a quick spray of 951 Aquawax every couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m54daboll View Post
    I think my favorite sacrificial layer is Shine Supply Wet Detailer. It legit adds a ton of protection (2-3 months work) for almost no effort. I guess I also like Shine Supply Ride Shine, which has a bit of carnauba in it, but its not really made for protection. I also use Rocket Wax Detail Spray for maintenance wipedowns during the week, but I don`t think that even has any wax in it so not really a sacrificial layer.
    Seen you seem to like Shine supply products. I have Clutch? Have you used? Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Seen you seem to like Shine supply products. I have Clutch? Have you used? Thoughts?

Yep I use clutch all the time. I really do like it. The protection from it is really good. Unlike a lot of silica spray sealants it is oil based, not water based which is why you can see the rainbow effect when it`s on the car. It can be streaky if you are not careful but its a really solid product. I use it on paint, wheels, and glass all the time. I even top my Daddy-O sealant with Clutch to extend the durability.
    Michael Daboll

Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Carpro Ech2o

Post Thanks / Like

Lately its been ech2o/reload merlin mix as a QD/WW.

Last weekend I finally tried Duragloss 972 WW (I have had 2 bottles since last year that I hadnt even tried) and I was very happy with the ease of use, look, and protection it left. Car had been sitting in the garage for 4 days so it was just dusty.

rlmccarty - Pollen already?! Crap I am just a couple of hours north of you. I havent noticed any yet. I had never experienced this level of pollen till I moved to GA. It literally covers my driveway, garage floors, cabinets, cars, goes up my nose, in my hair. My allergies hurt just thinking about it.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information