Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on how to clean up 2005 car that seems like it was never washed

Those rotors and calipers shouldn’t be worn out at 56k. Pads yes. Our 2006 Ridgeline that we bought new I replaced pads at 70k (rotors were fine). Just a couple months ago at 152k I replaced pads for the 2nd time and rotors (first time) with Honda parts. Didn’t put a micrometer on the rotors, just kind of figured they were worn after that many miles. But since you are giving it to your sister having a sense of security about the car, especially the brakes, is great
    Likes peterp liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Peterp !!!
    Wow ! You did a GREAT job on the engine !!!

I always use Meguiars Super Degreaser diluted at 6:1 or 4:1, and get excellent results, with a good, pressure wash rinse..
    Your Castrol Degreaser is probably a similar product and that is why you achieved that super great result..

I would use what you have already for the wheels, read the directions, follow them, stay on them to insure they get rinsed a lot to get all the product off..

I always use Meguiars Wheel Brightener for wheels that are full of brake dust like yours, and it has always done the job.. It also has to be diluted, because it is pretty strong .

Like you have already been advised above, use good, long, rubber gloves, wear clothing that you wont mind wrecking if that happens, if you have a mask, wear that, so you dont inhale too much of the fumes, eye protection, and a good plastic thin handle brush to get in between all those areas, to get the product working initially.. Let it sit for as long as the directions say, and rinse it off..
    You may have to repeat the process a few times, just see how the dust reacts to the work..

In my experiences with wheels like this, I spray the Meguiars Wheel Brightener on the entire wheel and the inner wheel, let it sit, scrub the heck out of it, let it sit, and then use my pressure washer up close but not too close, to help move all that stuff off.. Pressure washer tip is a FAN style tip, never use a pointed tip on anything unless you are wanting to drill a hole there..

You are doing great !!!
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great feedback. I have a product I bought from the UK called "Wonder Wheels" wheel cleaner that is pretty strong. I wonder how that compares to Meguiars Wheel Brightener. The Meguiars seems like a screaming good deal in quantity, but I wish it came in something smaller than 1 gallon.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterp View Post
    Thanks for all the great feedback. I have a product I bought from the UK called "Wonder Wheels" wheel cleaner that is pretty strong. I wonder how that compares to Meguiars Wheel Brightener. The Meguiars seems like a screaming good deal in quantity, but I wish it came in something smaller than 1 gallon.
    peterp ----

I dont have any experience with your UK product.. I would read the directions, see if you can find a forum that talks about it somewhere, and try it out on a spot.. It might be just as good or better...
    Read the directions carefully and make sure it does not say something like " Do not use on clear-coated wheels", etc...

Yes, I have never seen Meguiars Wheel Brightener in a size smaller than 1 gallon.. Sorry..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

If you could get your hands on some Brown Royal for those wheels, I’m sure it would help greatly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    If you could get your hands on some Brown Royal for those wheels, I’m sure it would help greatly.
    I found it on Amazon, even in a 32oz spray bottle..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I found it on Amazon, even in a 32oz spray bottle..
    Dan F
    IME, the best/least expensive way to purchase is to buy directly from Flash. $22/gallon $8/quart.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got the Saab back from mechanical work. It drove great before but drives even better now. Mechanical work was excellent, they screwed up a couple of things trying to "clean up". One of the things was the wheels, which now have been stripped and repainted. They didn`t do any cleanup on the rest of the bodywork, so I kind got my wish of being able to do the cleanup myself (it was single digit temps when I put it in for service, so I literally could not do the cleanup myself back then).

I cleaned up the interior yesterday and started work on the exterior today. I`m certain the car literally has never been polished in its life, so it took a long time to get clean. I started with Optima car wash and let it dwell for a while keeping it wet, which did remove some of the black "dots" in the paint. Then I used Iron-X on the paint with pretty amazing results -- I had to do the bottom panels several times, but it removed almost all of the stains (but didn`t take off any more black dots). I was shocked at how smooth the paint was after Iron-x -- almost felt clayed. Then I used mothers clay bar with ONR mix as lube and was able to remove the remaining black dots and a couple of stains that remained. I did all the door jambs also. It was a very long process and I barely have the energy to type, but I can finally see clean paint.

The good thing about a never polished car is that, once you (eventually) get the paint clean, there are no swirl marks. My next steps (and questions are) are:

1. P21S paint cleanser <- should I use by hand or machine? (I have Porter Cable DA).
    2. Chemical Guys V38 <- should I do this? -- there are no swirls or imperfections and it`s surprisingly shiny, but maybe would increase shine (would definitely use DA)
    3. Meg Ultimate Wax <- I know there are more esoteric waxes, but I like Ultimate a lot <- should I use DA or by hand?
    4. Opt-Seal <- Love Opti-seal will apply now, and again when after I wash before delivering car to my sister <- is Meg Ultimate an ok base for Opti-seal?

Here are a couple pics of it unpolished -- after just intense wash/Iron-X/Clay (there is a bit of rain on the car, looks a bit shiner dry)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great find and great work on so far. And sometimes an unwashed car is better than someone have compounding off most of the clearcoat and since not touched that much the lesser swirl.

Next time you have these black spots that most likely is tar spots. Start with a great tar remover and followed by an iron remover. Sometimes the tar easier get cought in the iron particals and kind of embedded them. That`s why I always start with the tar remover and then the iron remover. You solved it though with the clay but it`s more easier with chemicals.

The P21s paint cleanser seems to have abrasive in it or at least something abrasive. So if you get a clear glossy finish without any marring and scratches. And you like what you see. Then I would skip the V38 polish. The P21s paint cleanser is also great to cleaning up the paint from those contaminants that the clay or chemicals didn`t get off. And I would use a light polishing pad of some sort on your XP polisher. Of course do a test spot first and see what you get. If not getting you there go with a more aggressive polish and polishing pad. I have not used Chemical Guys polishes but seen many that has been disappointed with them so maybe go with another brand would be good.

Have no experience with Ultimate wax or Opti-Seal. But both are synthetic so it may work. And also if you get a lot of streaking or problems with the combo you know it can be they are not compatible with each other.

Looking forward see the finished results and how your sister reacted when she get it.

/ Tony
    Thanks peterp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Next time you have these black spots that most likely is tar spots. Start with a great tar remover and followed by an iron remover. Sometimes the tar easier get cought in the iron particals and kind of embedded them. That`s why I always start with the tar remover and then the iron remover. You solved it though with the clay but it`s more easier with chemicals.
    Thanks Tony. Tar remover up front would have definitely helped a lot. I did eventually get it out, but would have been easier and better to hit it with chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I have not used Chemical Guys polishes but seen many that has been disappointed with them so maybe go with another brand would be good.
    I used Menzerna before but (at least in the old bottle style) I had 3 different bottles dry up on me -- probably my fault because only rarely do I need to deep polish a car, so I have the bottles sitting for years. For this, where I`ve got the paint clean and fairly shiny, hopefully the CG V38 will be good enough (if I need it at all). I also have the V36, but don`t think I need that. I`ll take your advice to start with P21S cleanser and then decide whether V38 is needed.

I do know from past experience that Opti-seal will go over Ultimate without issue, but I don`t know whether having Ultimate under Opt-seal will make the Opti-seal less durable. I want to put a few coats of Opti-seal on before she gets the car as she is not exactly a paint maintenance freak (though that may change at least a little when she gets the "new" car).

Post Thanks / Like

I`d like to thank everyone who helped in this thread. The advice was very useful and the car came out great. My sister was very attached to her beat-up Subaru, but she loves the Saab. It`s just like the Subaru 5-speed, turbo, but everything is nicer on the Saab (full leather, heated seats, great stereo, quieter, smoother, etc).

Here is a quick video that gives a glimpse of the transformation of the car: (this is an unlisted video, probably won`t keep it up very long):

Transformation of Saab 9 2x Aero Turbo 5 Speed 57k Miles One Owner - YouTube
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterp View Post
    I`d like to thank everyone who helped in this thread. The advice was very useful and the car came out great. My sister was very attached to her beat-up Subaru, but she loves the Saab. It`s just like the Subaru 5-speed, turbo, but everything is nicer on the Saab (full leather, heated seats, great stereo, quieter, smoother, etc).

Here is a quick video that gives a glimpse of the transformation of the car: (this is an unlisted video, probably won`t keep it up very long):

Transformation of Saab 9 2x Aero Turbo 5 Speed 57k Miles One Owner - YouTube
    Absolutely Beautiful, Perfect, and Amazing !!! Loved the video ! Great, thoughtful, music accompaniment !

I am sure your Sister was so surprised and happy to see this ! What an awesome Brother you are !!!!
    Thank you so much for all of this ! You have learned a lot, and done something that will always be in the hearts of all of you guys ..

I have detailed a few Saabs and they are always so nice !

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

peterp- What Stokdgs said! I`m glad we could help with such a great endeavor.

And FWIW, your sister sounds swell Nice that she appreciates her cars, and the work you did for her.

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you followed up with an update! The car looks awesome! Really fantastic job.
    BMW M240i | Mineral White | Coral Red

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information