Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on how to clean up 2005 car that seems like it was never washed

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    I live in Wisconsin, and reading posts it seems like you dont but I`m gonna ask anyway,were do you live
    NY/NJ area

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterp View Post
    NY/NJ area
    Ok ya to far to bring to my shop

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

NY/NJ area
    peterp --- Since you live in the NY/NJ area -----
    Here is a link to an amazing Detailer, Philip Yiu, Detailers Domain, who has been doing this for probably more than 15 years.. He is located in Norwood, NJ..
    If you are ever considering having anything done to this vehicle or any other, this guy and his team can absolutely do it - perfectly --
    https://www.detailersdomain.com/pages/contact-us

Dan F
    Likes peterp, tom p. liked this post
    Thanks peterp, tom p. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    peterp --- Since you live in the NY/NJ area -----
    Here is a link to an amazing Detailer, Philip Yiu, Detailers Domain, who has been doing this for probably more than 15 years.. He is located in Norwood, NJ..
    If you are ever considering having anything done to this vehicle or any other, this guy and his team can absolutely do it - perfectly --
    https://www.detailersdomain.com/pages/contact-us

Dan F
    Thanks Dan. This might be a possibility -- I could have an outside detailer prep everything but the hood and front and rear bumpers, and then bring it back to the shop for them to do the painting. Really all I need is the body and wheels cleaned up. I would do the interior and top coat later. Tomorrow I`ll post some close-up pictures I took at the shop today. This is one of those rare instances where the close-up looks better than the far away pc.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan. This might be a possibility -- I could have an outside detailer prep everything but the hood and front and rear bumpers, and then bring it back to the shop for them to do the painting. Really all I need is the body and wheels cleaned up. I would do the interior and top coat later. Tomorrow I`ll post some close-up pictures I took at the shop today. This is one of those rare instances where the close-up looks better than the far away pc.
    peterp ----
    You are welcome !
    These guys are and have always been top shelf Detailers.. I have followed their website and on and off for over a decade..
    All of their work that you will see is incredible...

If they are in your range of travel, etc., this could be a good place for your needs on the outside, inside, engine, wheels, etc...
    Phil Yiu is really a nice guy and I imagine if you just call him and tell him what you have told us, they can advise you correctly..

Glad to hear the close up pictures look better too !
    I am excited for you and this project !
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

IMO a recommendation from Stokdgs is really something, so even if peterp doesn`t go that route I`m glad the suggestion got posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of photos of a close-up from the shop. There is no rust anywhere, also almost no dings, just looks horrible (for now):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I did get a chance to clean up the engine a bit on the 45 degree day just before I took it in the shop. This was the first pass with mostly ONR and a little bit of Castrol degreaser for difficult spots, followed by more ONR. The shop promised to clean up the engine a bit more while they have it apart, and then I will probably give it another pass when I get it back.

Post Thanks / Like

peterp- Ah, that`s shaping up quite nicely! Sure glad there`s no rust. IMO you found a great diamond in the rough with that one.
    Likes peterp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know I`m late to the party, but that looks like a case of classic rail dust. The term rail dust comes from iron contamination resulting from trains wheels contacting the tracks and in braking/accel/slip situations creating airborn iron that can travel in the air or stick to cargo (new cars being transported by train).

In this case, it looks like the rail dust is a result of brake pad abuse, actually letting the brake pads wear out to where there was no pad material left, and the pad backing plate (metal) was grinding on the rotor, and making the same situation occur. As the metal grinds, iron particles become airborne, sticking to the wheel mostly as that encapsolates the rotor to a large degree, but as the car is in motion, some flies out of the wheel area and onto the paint behind it. It may not be obvious at first, but then moisture and in this case salt (NY/NJ/New England roads) cause the iron to oxidize and turn orange. This happens rapidly and the more there is, the more it bonds to the surface.

This can be a case of neglect (letting pads wear out, maybe without even noticing if not a `car person`), even some people knowing the pads are worn and just choosing to leave it as is. Another case could be stuck calipers, that wear pads rapidly, and in the case of metallic pads, the brake dust itself could cause rust.

For the oxidation/rust specifically, you will need an iron remover. I have used iron-x on wheels that had stuck calipers leading to a similar look as your wheels. Remove the wheel from the vehicle when you do this though, and do so in a well ventilated area as most iron removers STINK.
    Thanks peterp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnewxcv View Post
    I know I`m late to the party, but that looks like a case of classic rail dust. The term rail dust comes from iron contamination resulting from trains wheels contacting the tracks and in braking/accel/slip situations creating airborn iron that can travel in the air or stick to cargo (new cars being transported by train).

In this case, it looks like the rail dust is a result of brake pad abuse, actually letting the brake pads wear out to where there was no pad material left, and the pad backing plate (metal) was grinding on the rotor, and making the same situation occur. As the metal grinds, iron particles become airborne, sticking to the wheel mostly as that encapsolates the rotor to a large degree, but as the car is in motion, some flies out of the wheel area and onto the paint behind it. It may not be obvious at first, but then moisture and in this case salt (NY/NJ/New England roads) cause the iron to oxidize and turn orange. This happens rapidly and the more there is, the more it bonds to the surface.

This can be a case of neglect (letting pads wear out, maybe without even noticing if not a `car person`), even some people knowing the pads are worn and just choosing to leave it as is. Another case could be stuck calipers, that wear pads rapidly, and in the case of metallic pads, the brake dust itself could cause rust.

For the oxidation/rust specifically, you will need an iron remover. I have used iron-x on wheels that had stuck calipers leading to a similar look as your wheels. Remove the wheel from the vehicle when you do this though, and do so in a well ventilated area as most iron removers STINK.
    It does look quite a bit like like embedded rusted brake dust on the wheels. I see from the service records that the brakes (discs and pads) were replaced at 31k miles, which seems to be a reasonable interval, but it`s impossible to know how worn the brakes were at that time. They are replacing the front calipers/discs/pads now at 56k miles and say the rears look fine. What`s odd is that the brown staining appears to be pretty uniform across all 4 wheels, where if it was directly the result of brake dust, it seems like it would be more prevalent in the front or in whichever set of brakes were ignored for replacement. I kind of like the very light gold hue of the wheels (if they didn`t look like garbage), but I`m 99% positive they are silver when clean. I`ve attached a higher resolution photo of one of the wheels below (they all look roughly the same).

I already have Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus (which I think has some iron removers in it) and also Carpro Iron-X in the garage currently. Would these be the products to try, or is there something better?
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Peterp- Maybe the wheels got rotated regularly, that could explain the uniform staining.

IME the IronX is pretty mild, you you might need to find something more potent. Sorry, not sure what that`d be as I don`t use really aggressive Wheel Cleaners like Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener (which might be the exact right thing in this case).

I can`t recall whether those wheels were gold(ish) or silver originally, for a while there Gold-tone wheels were kinda common on certain cars.
    Likes Stokdgs, peterp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The iron-x is a good place to start. The sonax does have fallout removers, but the wheel cleaner isn`t designed for anything this extreme. I had good luck with iron-x on a wheel that was completely trashed. Do a test spot inside the wheel first, and let the chemical do it`s job, just don`t let it dry on the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

To me it looks like the wheel hasn’t been cleaned in years and it’s just a combination of brake dust and whatever else

Post Thanks / Like

A wheel acid (Poorboys spray and rinse) or non acid (flash brown royal) would be good for this wheel. May need a magic eraser and or brush for the initial cleaning. Don’t forget PPE like gloves etc

Meguiars wheel brightener isn’t that strong for an acid product. It’s more of a maintenance product.

The production companies like malco, automagic, car brite etc have stronger acids that are nearly spray on and pressure wash off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information