Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for the longest lasting sealant. Not necessarily the best looking...but the longest lasting with easy application

so time is my mortal enemy. I lack it as i work a ton, coach a high school wrestling team, have a wife who also works a ton, two kids, two dogs, and 5 cars.

I always use ONR to wash and i love it. It`s quick and easy and looks great. I typically end every wash with a coat of OCW.

I am looking for a product like OCW that will last longer. It`s been a while since i really did research and when i look into this there are 100 options. All of which i`m sure are quality products...but i`m hoping to narrow it down using suggestions from here.

I love the way OCW goes on. it`s a simple spray an wipe on application. That`s important to me.

Can i get a few suggestions on a superior product to OCW as far as good protection for the paint?

I tried CarPro Reload and don`t care for it.

Thanks in advance.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for the longest lasting sealant. Not necessarily the best looking...but the longest lasting with easy application

McKee’s 10 Min Paint Sealant applies easier than OCW and might last the same or longer.

Given your situation, I would recommend Sonax Polymer Net Shield (PNS), will take a little longer to apply, but you’ll only need to apply once every 4-5 months, and if you can’t help spraying something on inbetween, you could get Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer which is a topper specially made for PNS, it would probably extend the PNS past 6 months and lasts 2-4 weeks on its own.

These Sonax products are very easy to apply, bead water relentlessly and have good self cleaning so a busy guy like you may need to wash less often/thoroughly.
    Likes Stokdgs, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for the longest lasting sealant. Not necessarily the best looking...but the longest lasting with easy application

Rez, I think I`d try to learn about Meguiar`s new product: it`s a spray-on "ceramic wax" used when the surface is wet

Might just be what the doctor ordered, just coming onto the market now. Someone did a very nice video on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mother`s has a spray on coating coming out that might work for you.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Rez90 --
    Looks like you are really busy !!
    No product will work as good or last as long if the paint is not cleaned and polished first, and then the product is applied right then..

In keeping in the same Optimum family of products, they sell this product which will be very easy to apply - just spray and wipe lightly -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/opti...l#.XBvNd1WQH3g This Opti-Seal product is so easy to use, and gives some protection..

No one can accurately say how long any product will last, given all the variables that go with paintwork, the actual preparing of it, and then the application technique of all these things..

I have used that Sonax Polymer Net Shield before and it is a great product, but it is harder to apply a little and you have to use a lot of microfibers to wipe it off.. It just wants to be "grabby" when first applied..

This product if the paint is properly prepared ( I know, you have no time to do that part), will last up to a year in my experiences with it..
    But you have to prepare the paintwork really well beforehand..

Good luck with your research !
    Merry Christmas !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I use OCW on my wife`s car. I use FK1000P on my vehicles because it lasts so much longer and protects the paint infinitely better. Regulars here know that I`m just all about the FK1000P It`s a paste, so not as user-friendly as a spray, but IMO it`s simply All That when it comes to a functional LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post
    I always use ONR to wash and i love it. It`s quick and easy and looks great. I typically end every wash with a coat of OCW.
    Okay I have a questions first before I roll into my response.

Why do you want something that lasts longer than Opti-CarWax if you use it almost every wash? From my use and experience it can last 2-3 months. So if you are using it even once a month you are more than protected.

IMO most all products that are truly going to last longer are going to take more prep time up front in prep and application to get the long term benefits.
    Likes Dan, Stokdgs, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Why do you want something that lasts longer than Opti-CarWax if you use it almost every wash? From my use and experience it can last 2-3 months. So if you are using it even once a month you are more than protected.

IMO most all products that are truly going to last longer are going to take more prep time up front in prep and application to get the long term benefits.
    Hey, that was good to ask!

Just FWIW, I use the OCW pretty much every time I wash the A8, and if I don`t use that I use QD-strength IUDJ (which leaves stuff behind too). It`s by that measure that I`m saying it doesn`t really last/protect all that great for me, looks like you and I are having another of those !YMMV! experiences, not to imply that the OCW is deficient or anything, very good stuff, much better than I`d expected.

So I guess I`m straddling the fence on this one! I keep thinking I`ll redo the A8 with FK, but I never do. Now if I were concerned about etching/etc. then yeah, I`d switch it, but that car`s not at that Autopian a level paint-wise.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s a good question and i don`t have a great answer. I can continue with what i`ve been doing. I was just curious as i don`t always get a chance to wash as often as i`d like.

Thanks for all of the great info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Just FWIW, I use the OCW pretty much every time I wash the A8, and if I don`t use that I use QD-strength IUDJ (which leaves stuff behind too). It`s by that measure that I`m saying it doesn`t really last/protect all that great for me, looks like you and I are having another of those !YMMV! experiences, not to imply that the OCW is deficient or anything, very good stuff, much better than I`d expected.
    I know that there are lots of variables. I guess I assume that most here are washing weekly or more often that just once a month. I know some will say Opti-CarWax could go 4-6 months but I think 1-3 is more realistic in my use. I also like the UV part of it as well.

I have been using The IUDJ+JB (Juice Boost) that is a polymer sealant made to work with IUDJ on my wife`s car. I use it as a rinse-less wash as well as a water-less QD wipe down. I can say the gloss and slickness seems to get better if I use it on a regular basis instead of flipping between different washes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rez90 View Post
    It`s a good question and i don`t have a great answer. I can continue with what I`ve been doing. I was just curious as i don`t always get a chance to wash as often as i`d like.
    There are quite a few of the newer Si02 spray sealants out there that would work. The question is are they really more durable. For me I have used quite a few and realistically I use them just was much as a spray wax because either the durability or the beading dies off more than I prefer.

I`m a big fan of coatings. But the prep & application time up front is so much more, but the payoff of easier washes makes up for it for me. Then I use the Si02 spray sealants.

If your going to be applying something after every wash you may want to try some of the newer Si02 spray sealants or even Opti-Seal if you like Opti-CarWax.

Post Thanks / Like

Great point. I always get a chuckle when people report how long a coating lasts while they are topping it after every wash. Using that same methodology OCW lasts longer than the car!

Post Thanks / Like

In my testing of 12 or so different SiO2 containing sprays the one that stood out for longetivity was IGL Ecocoat Premier. I can see getting 6 months out of this spray on wipe off product. Everyone should try this product. It’s the best product like this I can recommend. If you want to spend more money for something slicker go with Kamikaze Overcoat.
    Likes Stokdgs, DetailZeus, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    In my testing of 12 or so different SiO2 containing sprays the one that stood out for longetivity was IGL Ecocoat Premier. I can see getting 6 months out of this spray on wipe off product. Everyone should try this product. It’s the best product like this I can recommend. If you want to spend more money for something slicker go with Kamikaze Overcoat.
    I am interested in people liking and suggesting IGL Ecocoat. My issue is that it is something like double the price per oz. In the case of the new BF Si02 it is 2.6x the price. So for me it would have to last at least twice as long since I could apply the BF Si02 twice and still have better pricing. But I still hope to try IGL Ecocoat at some point.

Then again I know and admit to being a CarPro Reload fan and being one of the only people to not have this issues other have had.

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested in people liking and suggesting IGL Ecocoat. My issue is that it is something like double the price per oz. In the case of the new BF Si02 it is 2.6x the price. So for me it would have to last at least twice as long since I could apply the BF Si02 twice and still have better pricing. But I still hope to try IGL Ecocoat at some point.

Then again I know and admit to being a CarPro Reload fan and being one of the only people to not have this issues other have had.
    I was getting 2 weeks out of most of the other SiO2 toppers in my tests so you can imagine how surprised I was to get months of service from IGL Ecocoat Premier. It’s well worth the price, even if it was twice the price it would still be a bargain. Some of the pro detailers here offer it as a package with Essence as a base.

Post Thanks / Like

TroyScherer- Good point about the frequency of washing, I tend to forget that most here was as often as I used to. And yeah#2, the OCW`s UV protection is worth considering; I use it on the lenses of some FK`ed vehicles for just that reason.

Glad to hear you like the IUDJ + JB. I intend to get the latter next time I`m restocking. Even without it, IUDJ does leave some significant LSP-stuff behind...oh man does that product continue to impress me.

I`m a big fan of coatings. But the prep & application time up front is so much more, but the payoff of easier washes makes up for it for me.
    I`m still debating whether or not to continue with coatings on certain wheels...I`m not sure it`s worth it compared to just prepping/LSPing them annually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information