Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lug Nut Rust

Post Thanks / Like

Lug Nut Rust

How do you guys deal with rust on painted lug nuts? I`ve got some that are silver (maybe zinc) and starting to rust a bit. I was thinking about buying some of that zinc rustoleum paint but it seems to be a duller gray, ideally I`d like to find some more glossy silver spray with zinc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lug Nut Rust

This is a good question. I have just replaced them which seems like a waste to me so I am hoping someone has a good solution.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d just replace them, preferably with Stainless ones. How much are you gonna go through for a) the cost and/or b) the chance that a fix won`t last?

You can derust them either chemically or mechanically or, most likely, both. Then you could paint/powdercoat/replate them and I bet somebody like Eastwood has a paint that`ll look right. But I just don`t see those fixes lasting or being worth the time/hassle/expense.

For fragile-finish lugs, well...ones that show...remember to a) wrap the lug with plastic wrap/etc. to protect the corners, even if your wrench/socket supposedly "grips the flats" and b) find a socket that fits properly (I have a scad of 19mm ones for the Audis and one always fits one set of lugs better/worse than the others).
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Replace them or Cap them. There are a few OEM`s that make good looking caps, just make never to lose the remover otherwise good luck getting the wheels off if you get a flat.

For the record those fit my 19mm lugs perfect
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...r-kit-31439227

https://flic.kr/p/2astQ5m

SR Nut by Joseph Cipriano, on Flickr
    SR Front by Joseph Cipriano, on Flickr
    SR Wheel by Joseph Cipriano, on Flickr
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`d just replace them, preferably with Stainless ones. How much are you gonna go through for a) the cost and/or b) the chance that a fix won`t last?

You can derust them either chemically or mechanically or, most likely, both. Then you could paint/powdercoat/replate them and I bet somebody like Eastwood has a paint that`ll look right. But I just don`t see those fixes lasting or being worth the time/hassle/expense.

For fragile-finish lugs, well...ones that show...remember to a) wrap the lug with plastic wrap/etc. to protect the corners, even if your wrench/socket supposedly "grips the flats" and b) find a socket that fits properly (I have a scad of 19mm ones for the Audis and one always fits one set of lugs better/worse than the others).
    I wouldn`t mind buying new ones, if I was sure they were good quality and would not run into the same issue again. Looking at the options, good german bolts are in the $7+ range each, and that is not even stainless.

Post Thanks / Like

The Driver- Yes indeed, the caps are great (as long as you don`t lose that tool)! Got `em as oe on the A8 and the Tahoe, our two Dailies, and those are our only vehicles where the lugs show, lucky me

If the lug pockets have enough room for `em, that`d be a great solution, good thinking!

Heh heh, a Roadside Assistance guy that an acquaintance called didn`t realize they were caps and you can guess what he tried to do Accumulatorette was all that he didn`t just change the flat himself or at least know to tell the guy that. "RTFM!" indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I wouldn`t mind buying new ones, if I was sure they were good quality and would not run into the same issue again..
    Maybe try coating them and using the plastic wrap. I used lots of KSG on the MPV and as long as I was careful with the wrap...very careful...it worked OK, only had a bit of edge-issue on one or two of `em (as best I can recall after all this time).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    This would be my vote. I don`t recall lug nuts being all that expensive unless you are looking for some special shaped ones for aftermarket wheels. Even then they aren`t too expensive.

Wouldn`t wrapping the lug nut make it really hard to get the socket to fit properly? I picked up a set of sockets specifically designed for doing wheel changes off Amazon for pretty cheap. They fit perfectly on the lug nuts/studs and the outer wall is nylon lined so they don`t marr the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

OEM lugs are around 6-8$ a pop for German alot of German cars
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds about right. I had to buy a set for my BMW many years ago, and I think they were about $30 per set (5x bolts). No one would sell my just one. A set for my GTI is about the same price at Tire Rack.

Post Thanks / Like

Gorilla makes a great set of replacement lug nuts if you’re replacing the entire set.

Gorilla Automotive Products

I saw a set of black ones for a Ford truck not too long ago, seems like they were around $70 for a set of 24 lug nuts with no locking nuts. Their black chrome plating was surprisingly nice.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, gorilla doesn`t make lifetime lug bolts, just nuts so no go there. After thinking about it, I got some bolt covers for $8, we`ll see how they work out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Wouldn`t wrapping the lug nut make it really hard to get the socket to fit properly? I picked up a set of sockets specifically designed for doing wheel changes off Amazon for pretty cheap. They fit perfectly on the lug nuts/studs and the outer wall is nylon lined so they don`t marr the wheel.
    I have those nylon-sleeved ones too, easier to avoid an "oops!" all right.

I`ve never had a problem with the wrapping interfering with the socket fit. I`ve even used a nitrile glove before. There are obviously limits, but overall there`s always been enough wiggle-room.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Well, gorilla doesn`t make lifetime lug bolts, just nuts so no go there. After thinking about it, I got some bolt covers for $8, we`ll see how they work out.
    I think McGard has a warranty against chrome chipping.

Lug Bolts – McGard
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

If you do decide on the paint route, Wurth sells cans of spray paint that matches German silver wheels. It`ll either match your Volvo wheels or be extremely close to Volvo silver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information