Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

wheel coating purchase: any winners out there you would suggest?

Did some browsing but didn`t see any recent threads...

Any suggestions on wheels/rims coating? I know there are a bunch of products out there, and I hear good (biased though) reviews on C5. I can`t imagine that is the only one.
    (Mind you, this would be applied to the entire rim, inside and out).
    OC? C5? Other? Would like to hear what you have tried and have had good results with.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wheel coating purchase: any winners out there you would suggest?

Have used IGL Wheel, Gyeon Rim, Kamikaze Stance & Polish Angel Supersport (more of a PTFE sealant type of a product)

The easiest and most durable for me here in NE Ohio daily use is Stance. Gyeon Rim has held up well too and is less $$ than Stance or IGL Wheel.

Nice thing about Stance is 10-15 minute working time, can do entire wheel, barrel and face, before removal. Gyeon and others set up quicker so cant move quite as fast.

PA Supersport wont get ya the longevity of a true coating but is so easy to use more frequent application to wheel face is no big deal.

IGL Wheel performed about the same for me as Gyeon Rim. Advantage to IGL for a nice, complete kit that includes a little bottle of prep (Precoat) but price advantage goes to Gyeon ($45 vs IGL $69).

YMMV
    Likes someidiot liked this post
    Thanks jojo69 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

IGL wheel hands down. 2 layers hand applied as instructed or can be sprayed with a small Hvlp gun.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Would you IGL users deem it Accumulator-proof, or can High Spots be a problem if the inspection isn`t just right.

I`m so paranoid about those that I`m tempted to just keep FK1000ing mine, even the ones I`d used Optimum`s coatings on...it really is *that* hard for me to get the inspection right these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Would you IGL users deem it Accumulator-proof, or can High Spots be a problem if the inspection isn`t just right.

I`m so paranoid about those that I`m tempted to just keep FKing mine, even the ones I`d used Optimum`s coatings on...it really is *that* hard for me to get the inspection right these days.
    Igl wheel is pretty forgiving. If you happen to notice a high spot the next day you can just use a bit of the wheel coating to help level it back out.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Justins00ss- Ah, that sounds great. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Rim is pretty good. Easy to work with and will get you close to year in performance.

GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour is good as well. Like Gyeon Rim it is easy to work with. The difference is that this is not a heavy beading product. More sheeting. Topping it with Exo will add that extra hydrophobics. This is what I have on my car at the moment and it`s held up nicely slowly approaching 1 year.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks & keep `em coming.
    Most def looking for a 1 stop product. AS Guz mentioned, I heard that c5 + exo is best but would rather buy just 1 pdct.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jojo69 View Post
    Thanks & keep `em coming.
    Most def looking for a 1 stop product. AS Guz mentioned, I heard that c5 + exo is best but would rather buy just 1 pdct.

Then get Gyeon Rim. I forgot to mention that CarPro DLUX also works good. Gave me about a years worth before the hydrophobic beading was gone but the sheeting was still present. It can feel a bit tacky on removal so I give the edge to Gyeon Rim in application and removal. But DLUX will cure faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Kami stance is just out my budget... unless someone has enough left to coat 4 wheels
    As Budget pointed out, IGL Ecocoat ($70) and Gyeon Q2 Rim ($50) seem to be 2 contenders, based on comments thus far: both 30ml bottle.
    Interestingly the cheaper chemical is being advertised as longer lasting: Gyeon`s durability ">12months/30k km" vs. IGL`s "12 mths/20k km"

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that c5 + exo is best but would rather buy just 1 pdct.

I missed this part of your comment. Is there a reason why you don`t want to use a combo like C5 + Exo? Is it out of your budget? Or is it the amount of time to coat them with multiple products?

Installing this combination is time consuming. One has to take into account if any sort of polishing will be dine besides a deep cleaning.

Also there is no best as that is really subjective.

Kami stance is just out my budget... unless someone has enough left to coat 4 wheels
    As Budget pointed out, IGL Ecocoat ($70) and Gyeon Q2 Rim ($50) seem to be 2 contenders, based on comments thus far: both 30ml bottle.
    Interestingly the cheaper chemical is being advertised as longer lasting: Gyeon`s durability ">12months/30k km" vs. IGL`s "12 mths/20k km"
    Keep in mind that real world durability is different from ideal/lab durability. These claims are ideal/lab durability. You may get longer protection or less protection depending on the environment it is exposed to and how it is cared for. Just like any paint coating, wax or sealant.

My advice would be to pick a wheel coating and go with it. If you don`t like it then the following year you can try a different one.

These are the popular ones found on here and Autogeek. McKee`s is going to be the best bang for the buck for the quantity of product received. Expect about a year for all of these.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/cqua...l#.W_jyBeJReUk
    https://www.autopia-carcare.com/gyeo...l#.W_jyQuJReUk
    https://www.autopia-carcare.com/igl-...l#.W_jyTuJReUk
    https://www.autopia-carcare.com/dp-w...l#.W_jymOJReUk
    https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pinn...l#.W_jypOJReUk
    Thanks jojo69, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz, it`s a question of time and cost.
    No garage and 2 kids under 2yo, so time is a luxury for now. You are correct about lab vs reality and how maintenance will affect things. Then again, as a consumer, I do have to take those factors with both a grain of salt and into consideration.
    Wheels will be brand new from factory, so I anticipate minimal decon/wash/prep prior to applying coating. Getting rid of grease/contamination from tire mounting process.
    IGL comes with prep spray, which I can`t really justify cost wise as I have enough equivalent ipa dilution and bottled decon pdcts at home to use.

So it looks like both gyeon and igl are pretty comparable, in terms of actual coating pdct per se, and so it is really a question on application ease and longevity.

Thanks for the links btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Gyeon Rim is pretty good. Easy to work with and will get you close to year in performance..
    Do others find that significant? Not flaming!! Just wondering, since I can get that kind of performance out of conventional LSPs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz, it`s a question of time and cost.
    No garage and 2 kids under 2yo, so time is a luxury for now. You are correct about lab vs reality and how maintenance will affect things. Then again, as a consumer, I do have to take those factors with both a grain of salt and into consideration.
    Wheels will be brand new from factory, so I anticipate minimal decon/wash/prep prior to applying coating. Getting rid of grease/contamination from tire mounting process.
    IGL comes with prep spray, which I can`t really justify cost wise as I have enough equivalent ipa dilution and bottled decon pdcts at home to use.

So it looks like both gyeon and igl are pretty comparable, in terms of actual coating pdct per se, and so it is really a question on application ease and longevity.

Thanks for the links btw.

Got it. As I mentioned just be aware that a lot of longevity claims from the manufacturer are just claims.

McKee’s is going to be best bang for the buck for the amount and price. A little goes a long way and it’s probably the easiest of the bunch to apply. You will have multiple applications with it.

Gyeon Rim, DLUX and C5 are all comparable. C5 does not have that strong beading like DLUX and Rim but it does a good job.

If the car is not exposed to harsh environment then the coating is going to last forever. I have C5 on my garage queen and it’s coming up on 3 years and it’s like day 1 since I rarely drive it and it is always sunny in Southern California.

On my dad’s daily driver DLUX got me a year. It lost its beading but the sheeting was still present. Because I like to test out different products I recoated with Rim and it has retained its beading properties longer. Guess what they are going to be recoated with another wheel coating shortly haha.

C5 + Exo V3 is doing very well on my daily driver. It does take time but this combo by far has performed the best in a years time frame.

Pinnacle Black Label wheel coating did well for me. I think I had it for 15 months before I opted for something else. McKee’s seems to be similar to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Do others find that significant? Not flaming!! Just wondering, since I can get that kind of performance out of conventional LSPs.
    Possibly. I don’t really know. Some people are fixated on longevity claims when we all know that longevity is going to vary for everyone.

Wheel coatings do a better job handling most wheel cleaners where a wax or sealant may be degraded.

As Mike P says find something you like and use it often.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out SB3 Coating Vortex wheel coating. They rate (and warranty) it for 2 years. Been on my shop beater car for over a year and it is holding up excellent. It only gets washed once a month and with a little bit of wheel acid the wheel comes perfectly clean without any agitation.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes jojo69 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information