Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for Ferrous-Iron Decontamonation Removers

The Finish Kare system is known as the 1119/883 system. The 1119 was developed over 30 years ago for Chrysler and Ford`s predelivery large operations(both shut down in the late 90`s. These facilities handled up to 700 vehicles per day at each.The 1119 has a large percentage of keosene in it, IE the odor, it was to remove soot, etc that vehicles had on them from being stored at rail heads,etc. The facilities had three stage clarifiers for the run off, as it is very polluting. The 883 is a blend of acids,mainly sulfuric,which is the one that desolved the ferrous particles, however had to be used in controlled work area`s as sun and heat makes it over reactive,and if not controlled would wrinkle paint, attack and discolor trim. The final of the system was the 1118SC neutral shampoo, which brought the pH of the surfaces back to neutral pH. The Valugard ABC system does not use hydrocarbon solvents in the A. The B is a finely controlled blend of acids and not a aggressive as the 883, and when used per directions does not harm paint or trim. The C is similar to the FK 118SC, named Detail Wash. Needed to bring the chemistry of the paint film back to a neutral pH.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes DBAILEY, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ron Ketcham!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thanks Ron Ketcham!
    Yes indeed. Note the diffs between Ketch`s info and my less-than-accurate version posted earlier

So it was *sulfuric* acid in the 883 (thanks for the pn#)...guess all I remembered correctly was "don`t use it".

That 1119 sure did do the job on the occasions that I used it though...and even though I was scared off of the 883 I sure wish "B" were more aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like

I have plenty of ABC left over from a few years ago sitting in my garage. I’m assuming there’s no/ a real long shelf life and I can use it again tomorrow if I needed to with no ill effects.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Would be intresting to see what chemical they use in their iron remover. And also in their wheel cleaner which seems to be very effective. Do you test to apply it again after the first application to see if you get any more bleeding?

Don`t know what it is that makes we have a lot of embedded iron particals here in Sweden. Think it`s cause of the 4 winter months where it`s a law to use winter tires. And that more than half of the vehicals uses dubbed winter tires. Then most of the cars here is known for the amount of brake dust they produce. Wonders if most of the US brands of vehicals uses low dust brake pads. Will see if I can make my decon wash before the winter sets in and take some pictures of the bleeding action. I do that every spring and fall and it is alot of bleeding on the lower side panels and the back of the car every time. Would not be complaining if I could skip that step cause the smell is nasty LOL.
    The tar spots has been less since I started to maintain and have protection on the cars. And the iron partical has also been less. But they still gets there to be needed to take them off regualary.

I`m very impressed how you maintain and how well your protection works accumulator.
    I`ve used second applications with the wheel cleaner. Didn`t really pay attention to any more bleeding, I don`t remember getting any though. That was on 6 year old neglected wheels. They were the only ones that required more than one application. I will try a second use the next time I get a car in that has a lot if iron.

I think most of the U.S. manufactured models do have low dusting brake pads compared to the European models. High Performance U.S. Vehicles brake pads dust a lot more. In most states here studded winter tires are prohibited, I`m sure the studs add a considerable amount of iron particles that end up in vehicles.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the products have not gone through a couple of freeze/thaw cycles, should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Make it more aggressive and then you have paint and trim damage issues possible.
    When we first started working on the formulation for the B, had a couple that were smoking fast, however, the paint`s resin system was damaged, not noticable to the naked eye or right away, but when the panels were put in the xeon gas chamber, became very clear that those "fast" formulations were not the way to go.
    Likes tom p., DetailZeus, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Make it more aggressive and then you have paint and trim damage issues possible... those "fast" formulations were not the way to go.
    Yeah, sigh...no free lunch. With any luck I`ll never need such stuff again and I do sincerely doubt that I`ll ever need anything more aggressive. Can always just get mechanical about it during the dwell time anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    As long as the products have not gone through a couple of freeze/thaw cycles, should be fine.
    Thank you Ron!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to my fellow Autopians for this discussion and suggestions on iron removers.
    Not so sure on the chemistry lessons and information, as my chemical understanding is very elementary.
    Like I asked , I just want something that works well on iron removal, as I see this a lot on newer vehicles that I sometimes detail for friends or family, and obviously it is most noticeable on light-colored vehicles.
    Someone asked where does it come from? I told them either in shipping by rail car from the wheels and tracks OR from the iron disc brake sloughing/abraiding off onto the paint. When asked why it is so prevalent on rear trunk lids, back ends, and rear hatch doors I would think that air flows over and around vehicles cause this and iron particles ends up there.
    I also assume that if someone is an aggressive braking driver OR does a lot of stop-n-go driving that iron particles, and hence rust specks, would be more prevalent on such driven vehicles and require more frequent iron decontamination.
    Any thoughts?? I am assuming that iron decontamination is an ongoing vehicle exterior cleaning process; IE, it is not a once-and-done thing.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t had the need to decontaminate in years. In my case I don’t know how ongoing of a cleaning task it really is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Thanks to my fellow Autopians for this discussion and suggestions on iron removers.
    Not so sure on the chemistry lessons and information, as my chemical understanding is very elementary.
    Like I asked , I just want something that works well on iron removal, as I see this a lot on newer vehicles that I sometimes detail for friends or family, and obviously it is most noticeable on light-colored vehicles.
    Someone asked where does it come from? I told them either in shipping by rail car from the wheels and tracks OR from the iron disc brake sloughing/abraiding off onto the paint. When asked why it is so prevalent on rear trunk lids, back ends, and rear hatch doors I would think that air flows over and around vehicles cause this and iron particles ends up there.
    I also assume that if someone is an aggressive braking driver OR does a lot of stop-n-go driving that iron particles, and hence rust specks, would be more prevalent on such driven vehicles and require more frequent iron decontamination.
    Any thoughts?? I am assuming that iron decontamination is an ongoing vehicle exterior cleaning process; IE, it is not a once-and-done thing.
    Go to Valugard.net and in the Engineer`s section, TSB`s. Ford ##99-12-10, print it out to share with your clients as it has the information, etc to explain what is the issue. They are more receptive to information that is published by an automotive manufacturer than just words
    Likes GearHead_1, JustJesus, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Been nice to see you posting Ron.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

The new Meg’s Detailer line sounds promising. From what I gather it smells potent but is super effective. They apparently didn’t try to mask the smell to keep it very effective. Plus with the 25% off sales it can be had fairly cheap for a gallon if you use that much. I think I’m gonna try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    The new Meg’s Detailer line sounds promising. From what I gather it smells potent but is super effective. They apparently didn’t try to mask the smell to keep it very effective. Plus with the 25% off sales it can be had fairly cheap for a gallon if you use that much. I think I’m gonna try it out.
    If anyone is interested in information, availability, and purchase price for this new Meg`s Detailer Line product offering, this the link to it from AutoGeek:
    https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-d1801-iron-decon.html
    (No, I did not see it yet on Autopia Car Care)

Still a "little" concerned about its dual-application for both wheels and paint, BUT considering that wheels (rims) are clear-coated just like vehicle sheet metal paint, those fears are probably unfounded; IE, what works well for wheels is too strong for paint OR what is safe for metal panels paint is too weak for wheels.
    I would hope some Autopian will test and review this product soon, as buying a gallon at $80.00 is a "little expensive" for my hobbyist detailing budget to "try out". then again, the Meg`s Detailing Line Car-Care chemical products I do have in my detailing arsenal (Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner, Hyper Wash, D101 All-Purpose Cleaner) work very well for their intended detailing task and are very cost-effective in my opinion.
    GB detailer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information