Post Thanks / Like

Should I wash again between polish and sealing application?

My car is in a garage and for scheduling conflicts I was going to polish today and seal tomorrow (all with an old porter cable buffer), leaving my car in the garage the whole time. The door will open a few times while I work and then when my wife comes home, but otherwise very little exposure to the outdoor elements. Should I do a light ONR wash before I apply the sealant tomorrow, or will it likely be OK? I`m sure a light layer of dust in the air will settle on the car even while being in the garage, but I`m not sure how concerning that really is.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I wash again between polish and sealing application?

tuffluck- IMO it`s one of those "if you even think about whether it`s a good idea, just do it" things. But hey, I can be awfully extreme about the whole marring issue. I`d at least plan on doing a QDing with the ONR, using a light-colored MF, on the horizontal surfaces. That`d be *after* doing a Dark Environment Inspection using Point-Source Illumination; if you can see [stuff] on the paint, then you know the answer But sometimes you gotta really work at it to see that....and if in doubt, just do it.

EDIT: FWIW, even when the overhead doors stay down, and I`m quick in/out of the man-door, and even though my shop is pretty well-sealed and clean (no, I`m not running Air Cleaners all the time as I once did), I`d put in a fair bit of work inspecting if one of mine sat overnight uncovered.

FWIW#2, I often lay towels on the horizontal surfaces if I`ll be touching the paint the next day. IIRC, Mike Phillips uses sheets/blankets, just be sure that any "wonderfully soft cotton!" really *IS* gentle enough..most would be amazed how easy it is to mar paint with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    tuffluck- IMO it`s one of those "if you even think about whether it`s a good idea, just do it" things. But hey, I can be awfully extreme about the whole marring issue. I`d at least plan on doing a QDing with the ONR, using a light-colored MF, on the horizontal surfaces. That`d be *after* doing a Dark Environment Inspection using Point-Source Illumination; if you can see [stuff] on the paint, then you know the answer But sometimes you gotta really work at it to see that....and if in doubt, just do it.

EDIT: FWIW, even when the overhead doors stay down, and I`m quick in/out of the man-door, and even though my shop is pretty well-sealed and clean (no, I`m not running Air Cleaners all the time as I once did), I`d put in a fair bit of work inspecting if one of mine sat overnight uncovered.

FWIW#2, I often lay towels on the horizontal surfaces if I`ll be touching the paint the next day. IIRC, Mike Phillips uses sheets/blankets, just be sure that any "wonderfully soft cotton!" really *IS* gentle enough..most would be amazed how easy it is to mar paint with it.
    Cool. I actually just washed it again I shut the door, am going to eat lunch, and then go after it. If anything settles on it by then, well, that`s just bad luck! Tuffluck maybe one might say!

Also, the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 I got says fatal is swallowed or inhaled. What the heck is in this stuff??? Anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post
    Cool. I actually just washed it again I shut the door, am going to eat lunch, and then go after it...
    That was smart

If anything settles on it by then, well, that`s just bad luck! Tuffluck maybe one might say!
    Heh heh, you stole my punchline! I was thinking the exact same thing. I`m betting it`ll go fine.

Also, the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 I got says fatal is swallowed or inhaled. What the heck is in this stuff??? Anyone know?
    I bet it`s more-or-less just Govt. BS intended to save stupid people from Darwinism. Not that I`d go chugging/huffing it....

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes compressed air is enough to blow it all off if the polished used wasn`t oily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post
    Are you drinkin it or putting it on your car ?!?!?!?!?!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information