Post Thanks / Like

Question Is Chemical Guys Syn QD best for topping 476S

Hi All,

I`m trying Collinite 476S on a new Porsche 911 (racing yellow) based on the durability of Collinite. I hear FK1000P is similar. So my question is...how is Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer? What interests me were the reviews saying it reduces static and dust.

If Chemical Guys is not the trick, what is the slickest topper for Collinite.

Thanks very much

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Chemical Guys Syn QD best for topping 476S

Risely- Welcome to Autopia!

Heh heh, I`ve never had much success with "anti-static" QDs, but that might just be me. And I wouldn`t call the durability of Collinite and FK1000P "similar" as if it did work like that for me I`d still be using 476S on my `93 Audi. And the look is *VERY* different. But anyhow (please pardon the digression )....

IME 476S can be surprisingly sensitive/vulnerable to the stuff in some QDs (zero idea what it actually is or why it works that way). I once *destroyed* a nice coat of 476S by using FK425 on it; had to redo the car in a huge way. SO I strongly encourage you to be careful and do a test-spot/etc. just in case the CG does the same thing. Note that I`d use the Fk425 on 476S before without issues and cannot pinpoint any explanation for why it bit me that time, but it was awful enough for "never again".

Good QDs/toppers for 476S IME: Meguiar`s D156/Ultimate Quik (sic?) Wax, Optimum Car Wax, Griot`s SpeedShine (which might have changed since I last used it), and Garry Dean`s Infinite Use Detail Juice. That last one was a huge surprise to me, and has basically rendered my QDs obsolete, including the ones that leave a lot of stuff behind and thus resemble SprayWaxes (which the IUDJ has also greatly replaced for me; now I only use the SprayWaxes when I have a specific reason to).

Hmmm...I wonder how Griot`s SprayWax would work on it? Never tried the stuff myself.

Post Thanks / Like

To my eyes Griots spray wax is very similar to the look 476 gives.

And while accumulator has great luck with Fk1000p and not so good with Collinite, I get the exact opposite.

Post Thanks / Like

Slickness and dust repellency don’t really go hand in hand

Nothing can keep dust from the car if you have dust in your environment

That QD is pretty good. Never tried it on 476 in particular cause I’m not that much of a fan of it ( I can’t get it to last )

Are you wanting the QD application for cleaning or for protection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    And while accumulator has great luck with Fk1000p and not so good with Collinite, I get the exact opposite.
    I always appreciate hearing that as it demonstrates clearly how !YMMV! IIRC, you`re the second person here who`s had the exact opposite experience from me when it comes to Collinite vs. FK1000P. It *DOES* happen.
    Thanks Dan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Slickness and dust repellency don’t really go hand in hand
    Interesting observation! As with my preceding post, that !YMMV! just keeps on applying; IME the two are indeed positively correlated, to the extent that it`s possible given, as you said...
    Nothing can keep dust from the car if you have dust in your environment
    I agree that nothing keeps the dust from settling on the car..none of that "anti-static" stuff ever happened for me.

BUT...my slickest LSPs (gee, guess what one of `em is ) do result in far less dust being on the vehicle as long as it`s used. It seems to blow off to a surprising (at least to me) extent, and the other day I was able to blow the dust off the `93 Audi with the air compressor (dialed up to ~140psi), which I`ve actually told people *won`t work*. Gee, it did after all, lucky me! Sure never worked for me before...

Never tried it on 476 in particular cause I’m not that much of a fan of it ( I can’t get it to last...
    Which just goes to reinforce how...[repeat usual..]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys,

Sorry for delay in my response, busy time of year for me. Thanks a ton for the responses so far.
    So can Meguirs Quick Wax be used as a quick detail spray?

I have the Collinite 476S on the car at the moment and I am not opposed to trying the FK 1000 P. I`m a fan of paste type waxes like P21, One Grand Blitz, Pinnacle Souveran, Collinite, etc...
    I`ve tried ceramic coatings on other cars and liquid polymers like Wolfgang and just keep going back to the paste waxes. Having said that, what I am looking for is just a really nice super slippery QD.

So far...the Chemical Guys is ok I guess but doesn`t seem to be leaps and bounds better than other QD`s.

Thanks again guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Risley View Post
    So can Meguirs Quick Wax be used as a quick detail spray?
    I don’t believe D156 should be used to remove dust, it’s meant for a clean surface, wet or dry, but will leave a slick finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Risley- Welcome to Autopia!

If you do try the FK1000P, I`ll be very interested to hear about your experience/opinion.

FWIW, and noting that I`m *NOT* a big fan of Rinseless Washes/ing to say the least....I find that a QD-strength mix of Garry Dean`s Infinite Use Detail Juice makes for a *great* QD on the FK and provides something pretty similar to SprayWax-level "added something" even though that`ll only last until the next wash or so. I absolutely *NEVER* would`ve thunk it...me, of all people, raving about a Rinseless Wash product...but IMO it really *is* All That.

I like/use D156, but only for certain things, and most of the time I just skip the SprayWaxing in favor of the IUDJ, at least on vehicles that are wearing a real LSP (as opposed to relying entirely upon a SprayWax, like my wife`s car and its Optimum Car Wax).

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I don’t believe D156 should be used to remove dust, it’s meant for a clean surface, wet or dry, but will leave a slick finish.
    Same opinion here. It lacks the surfactants/whatever-cleans-stuff-ingredients and significant lubricity of QDs.

Sure, it`ll do a bit of cleaning via solvent action and the mechanics of application/buff-off, just like Souveran/etc. will. But I put it in the category of "just because something sorta-works, that doesn`t make it a good idea".

Thread Information